We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

We've beaten everyone out in front of us. If some people think that was a given or easily done need only to look at the McNeese St game. You show up to play whatever level of competition is in front of you and check each level off accordingly. My optimism lies in the fact that we aren't a finished product. Just like our season. We are unbeaten until someone beats us. Until then I'm gonna enjoy my Huskers. For all their faults or perceived shortcomings, nothing is a given. Including MSU beating us because some sportswriter nerds think they should. I'll take my team everyday of the week and twice on Saturday against any in the nation. My names Jarvis and I root for Nebraska!

• Fire 2

Given how often some moderators chide posters for negative trolling, this thread seems a little over the top.

Go sell that somewhere else. Not one single thing in that OP is even remotely controversial, and not in the least bit trolling.

I think some of the folks who've been chided would say the same thing.

If you want to bitch about how this board is moderated take it up with the Admin staff. They'll tell you that those who have been "chided" have been so after discussion, at times lengthy, and often there have been many discussions with those very people you're ostensibly sticking up for via PM before any "chiding" was doled out.

But by all means, continue to try and make an issue of this.

We have definitely been credited with talking the talk, but we haven't truly walked the walk.

There are some alarmingly bad aspects of our defense, namely how we can't seemingly matchup our LBs against TEs or RBs out of the backfield. If I was the opposing OC, I would run those routes all game long until we find a way to defend them.

Yes, Tommy has been fortunate to have not thrown more INTs this year. But for as ridiculed as our offensive line has been, how many times has Tommy been sacked or pressured? I believe it's a very low number. And I'll take more hope in one person improving (Tommy and looking down receivers) over a whole unit improving.

Our seniors are not going to allow us to pack it in. I think there's a lot more heart in this team and this leadership than year's past. That's an underrated aspect of these guys.

Sure we haven't played anybody. But we haven't lost to those nobodies and that in and of itself is something. There are a lot of teams who wish they were 4-0 right now.

Given how often some moderators chide posters for negative trolling, this thread seems a little over the top.

Go sell that somewhere else. Not one single thing in that OP is even remotely controversial, and not in the least bit trolling.

I think some of the folks who've been chided would say the same thing.

If you want to bitch about how this board is moderated take it up with the Admin staff. They'll tell you that those who have been "chided" have been so after discussion, at times lengthy, and often there have been many discussions with those very people you're ostensibly sticking up for via PM before any "chiding" was doled out.

But by all means, continue to try and make an issue of this.

knapp is whippin' it out.

Man people get super irate when you try to tell them that 4-0 with wins over 3 cupcakes, one of them a disaster, and a win over a mediocre team at home doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot

We could always be 3-1. Then maybe some of the shots given to the team would be warranted. They've done what's been asked. Was it the prettiest or as convincing as some would like? No. But let's not forget, in order to be undefeated going to East Lansing means you first have to go undefeated. What's the narrative for all the doubters if we beat MSU? Now are we the team that's 6-0 with only one quality win? We can only play the teams on our schedule. I look at it as the teams we played didn't live up to their end of the bargain by fielding good solid teams. I'm gonna piss kool aid all over this board until "THIS" team gives me reason not to.
  • Fire 1

So we're 4-0 (for the third time in the Pelini Era) and everyone's jazzed we beat Miami in a slugfest. We're 1/3 of the way through the season (which is awful to think about) and we're ranked (barely) entering conference play. We're set up to possibly get to the Conference Championship Game, and things seem all right.

But the defense has holes and has surrendered touchdowns on opening drives against three of our four opponents. We've cut way back on turnovers but part of that is luck - dropped INTs, balls on the turf we've recovered.

That four-loss specter still looms.

We have four road games and four home games left. We could easily lose to Michigan State and Wisconsin, and Iowa outplayed us last year on our field. In Iowa City, if they figure out their quarterback situation, that game's no gimme, either.

09/27/14 Illinois - Memorial Stadium

10/04/14 Michigan State - @ East Lansing, Mich.

10/18/14 Northwestern - @ Evanston, Ill.

10/25/14 Rutgers - Memorial Stadium

11/01/14 Purdue - Memorial Stadium

11/08/14 Wisconsin - @ Madison, Wis.

11/22/14 Minnesota - Memorial Stadium

11/28/14 Iowa - @ Iowa City, Iowa

Frankly, Illinois could pose the biggest risk of all right now - an uninspiring opponent sandwiched between what should be our two toughest games, but an opponent who can move the ball, who runs an offense that gives Nebraska matchup problems - particularly at linebacker. Miami repeatedly gashed us through the air, and Wes Lunt may be a better quarterback than Kaaya. He's certainly more experienced.

The recurring theme for Bo's teams has been trouble between their ears. They check out of games, they don't properly prepare for games (McNeese State), or mental mistakes within games snowball into catastrophe.

Combating that problem is Ameer Abdullah, who promised Husker Fans that a McNeese State lack of preparation would not happen again this year. Tommy Armstrong and Kenny Bell are vocal leaders on offense who demand excellence and aren't afraid to get in someone's face when they're underperforming.

On defense, that's Josh Mitchell. But who else is bugging these guys to bust ass every week, for every opponent? What other leaders on defense do we have helping Mitchell keep people focused?

For all the excitement over this team right now - and there's some reason to be excited - we aren't any further along than we were in 2010 or 2011. And we had a far better defense in 2010, yet we still lost four games.

I'm happy we're 4-0. It's a great place to be.

But we haven't accomplished anything yet, and our four-loss nemesis is still lurking, still a very real possibility.

It sucks to think about things in that respect. But that's the reality we're facing.

Like pot, I don't know that there is such a thing as an overdose of skepticism.

The main thrust of this case makes itself. As of this moment, the 2014 Nebraska Cornhuskers have no trophies to their name and no major accomplishments. We've uncovered a few holes on the defensive side of the ball and injuries are beginning to accrue far too early for my tastes. Our defense is young. There are true freshman out there playing real-time snaps for the second season in a row. Nevertheless, with all our woes we're 4-0 looking to go 5-0 (stay focussed, fellas), and we will have our moment in prime time to find out if Pelni has figured a thing or two out.

Should things not go our way, the wing of the party that's wanted Pelini's head for a few seasons will return. They may even have a case if the game turns ugly.

My own personal optimism is more big picture. Most people in the recruiting world believe we have upgraded our overal talent level and are continuing to attract at least a few top players every cycle in addition to a few gems (see: Ameer Abdullah). The game Tim Beck called against Miami is something Nebraska fans have been waiting to see for years now, but there is no guarantee that Beck won't be Beck if we go down ten on the road at MSU in the first quarter. My sense, though, is that we are trending upward, and whether or not we rock Michigan State's world is peanuts in the larger scheme of things. We have a chance to win our conference, which is down.

Next season we will see an unusual injection of NFL-level talent (Rose-Ivy, Jackson (?), Moss, Alexander) that could easily take this defense up a notch. And this is in addition to the talented youth we already have. Imagine if Gregory decides to stick around one more year and complete his development at this level.

Like I've already said, Nebraska is not on the mountain top yet, but we're climbing. If we catch a few breaks, a few things go our way, this season could turn out to be special, or failing that, a springboard into the future. I surely do hope something like our offense game plan last week turns out to be our long-lost Identity. It would complete the picture for likely future success, though nothing is ever certain in this era of college football (ask Texas, Florida, USC, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, etc., etc., etc.).

• Fire 2

I have stained my decks, both front and back. I have aerated the lawn. I have dug up the rock trench I have for rain water runnoff in the back yard and re-set it. I have put in landscape bricks to outline an area under our trees where grass doesn't grow and put in brown wood mulch....6 cubic yrds of the stuff. The lawn looks the best is has for half a dozen years. I've accomplished a lot.

The Husker football team has won 4 games, which is a great start, but they have a lot more to prove. Hopefully I'll see some of that proof tomorrow night when I'm at the stadium. I do think they'll come out down to earth, focused and have a great game.

I have stained my decks, both front and back. I have aerated the lawn. I have dug up the rock trench I have for rain water runnoff in the back yard and re-set it. I have put in landscape bricks to outline an area under our trees where grass doesn't grow and put in brown wood mulch....6 cubic yrds of the stuff. The lawn looks the best is has for half a dozen years. I've accomplished a lot.

The Husker football team has won 4 games, which is a great start, but they have a lot more to prove. Hopefully I'll see some of that proof tomorrow night when I'm at the stadium. I do think they'll come out down to earth, focused and have a great game.

I have plenty of yard work if you need to feel REALLY good about yourself. Will supply beer...

Man people get super irate when you try to tell them that 4-0 with wins over 3 cupcakes, one of them a disaster, and a win over a mediocre team at home doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot

Telling people they need a "reality check" suggests they're being unrealistic. And infers you have a keener understanding of the situation.

I think some of us are just confused as to who this thread is actually lecturing. All I've seen around here is cautious optimism.

I don't know. Maybe the Miami win was a bit too enjoyable and needed a stern talking to.

Once again, people who basically agree with each other are taking sides in a pointless debate.

Thanks alot, internet.

• Fire 4

Much the same as the four loss average we have had at Nebraska, I was always more interested in the way we lost, not simply the 'L' in the loss column. I think 4-0 right now rightly could represent very little when you look at it simply as a 'W', I expected Nebraska to start the season 5-0 long before this season ever kicked off. But then I look at the way we've won, which is more important to me, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I obviously came into the season with high expectations for Armstrong and this offense. I'd say they've maybe even outperformed my expectations. The defense has played very well for the most part. Good start all around really.

I understand the hesitation to get too overly optimistic, we all know the history here. But if you open your eyes and watch the game there are plenty of positives to pull from this season already. It just might be a little early to be getting caught up in Championship talk just yet. I don't know how many of you have watched Wisconsin and Michigan State this year but neither one of those games will be gimmes. Now Iowa.....pfffff. There's a gimme.

• Fire 2

Much the same as the four loss average we have had at Nebraska, I was always more interested in the way we lost, not simply the 'L' in the loss column. I think 4-0 right now rightly could represent very little when you look at it simply as a 'W', I expected Nebraska to start the season 5-0 long before this season ever kicked off. But then I look at the way we've won, which is more important to me, and I've been pleasantly surprised. I obviously came into the season with high expectations for Armstrong and this offense. I'd say they've maybe even outperformed my expectations. The defense has played very well for the most part. Good start all around really.

I understand the hesitation to get too overly optimistic, we all know the history here. But if you open your eyes and watch the game there are plenty of positives to pull from this season already. It just might be a little early to be getting caught up in Championship talk just yet. I don't know how many of you have watched Wisconsin and Michigan State this year but neither one of those games will be gimmes. Now Iowa.....pfffff. There's a gimme.

I was with you up until the last sentence. I would never pencil Iowa as a gimme for this reason: I watch a lot of Iowa football, and if there is one thing that can be said for that televised anesthesia, it's that Iowa rarely loses by a lot or wins by a lot.

I was with you up until the last sentence. I would never pencil Iowa as a gimme for this reason: I watch a lot of Iowa football, and if there is one thing that can be said for that televised anesthesia, it's that Iowa rarely loses by a lot or wins by a lot.

Yea, that last sentence was the part where I needed that big flashy sign that says "HEY IM BEING SARCASTIC". My iPad won't do that though.

• Fire 1