We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

Being 4-0 is an accomplishment, but more importantly this team seems to have a different and more positive mental approach to the game as compared to teams from the recent past. You can be a realist and optimistic at the same time. Obviously the ultimate/season goals of this have not been met, they have not even played conference game. I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the overall positive aspects of this team and the success as it comes. I'm in no hurry to get to November or December, just like the team should, I'll take this season one game at a time.

On paper, and history tell us....blah blah blah.C'mon Knapp. If this is the case, then why should we ever look forward of getting out of the "hole" or so to speak. We're 4-0. Would you rather us have lost that McNeese game, or folded after Miami scored on the opening drive.Spin it with negativity, but it can be spun positively too. Depends if the glass is half full or half empty.

I think his point was look forward to getting out of the whole when they beat a team with a pulse and actually show consistency. When Miami is your biggest win of the year this year it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
Certainly nothing that we could do about it. I think there's good reason to think this season is different. Through the first 4 games since 2008: 2008: Teams played finished 28-23 Offense: 421 yards per game (155 rushing, 266 passing)Defense: 355 yards per game (116 rushing, 239 passing)TO Differential: -1 (6 forced, 7 conceded) 2009: Teams played finished 25-24 Offense: 440 yards per game (184 rushing, 256 passing)Defense: 283 yards per game (113 rushing, 170 passing)TO Differential: +4 (7 forced, 3 conceded) 2010: Teams played finished 20-29 Offense: 471 yards per game (309 rushing, 162 passing)Defense: 265 yards per game (139 rushing, 126 passing)TO Differential: +2 (12 forced, 10 conceded) 2011: Teams played finished 24-26 Offense: 439 yards per game (272 rushing, 167 passing)Defense: 350 yards per game (133 rushing, 217 passing)TO Differential: 0 (6 forced, 6 conceded) 2012: Teams played finished 20-30 Offense: 542 yards per game (318 rushing, 224 passing)Defense: 352 yards per game (177 rushing, 175 passing)TO Differential: -2 (7 forced, 9 conceded) 2013: Teams played finished 25-26 Offense: 496 yards per game (281 rushing, 215 passing)Defense: 464 yards per game (179 rushing, 285 passing)TO Differential: +4 (10 forced, 6 conceded) 2014: Teams played finished ??-?? Offense: 560 yards per game (329 rushing, 231 passing)Defense: 330 yards per game (150 rushing, 180 passing)TO Differential: 0 (4 forced, 4 conceded) So where does that put us in terms of recent years? Rushing yards per game: 1stPassing yards per game: 3rdTotal yards per game: 1st Rushing yards allowed per game: 5thPassing yards allowed per game: 4thTotal yards allowed per game: 3rd Turnovers forced: 7thTurnovers conceded: 2ndTO Differential: 4th

Who knows? These numbers will undoubtedly be inflated by McNeese, who's an FCS program, which is laughable, but FAU, Fresno and Miami could all struggle for bowl eligibility and it wouldn't surprise me.

They. Haven't. Played. Anyone. That's all I'm saying. Knapp is too, btw.

Polo, you seriously aren't happy unless you are negative are you? I think it is the most idiotic thing to say "WE HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYONE"...when it is 4 games in and there are 100 programs still trying to find out who they are. STFU for once, and let it play out a little bit. I am starting to think you secretly root for the bad to take place so you can have something to talk about on the board. Or so you can say "I told you so."

Good grief. Some people.

Any perceived negativity coming from me is at the fault of the person who believes that.

Like a The Dude said, reality is a thing, and it certainly isn't negative at this point.

• Fire 2

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

But beat Michigan State...........

and then lose to Northwestern and/or Rutgers, more injuries mount, Wisconsin stomps our injury riddle defense, and we wind up losing a bowl game. Then what?

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.But beat Michigan State...........

and then lose to Northwestern and/or Rutgers, more injuries mount, Wisconsin stomps our injury riddle defense, and we wind up losing a bowl game. Then what?

Then hopefully we move in a new direction.

I think we are all reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally overrating our commitment to the run. Let's pump the brakes on that one.

I completely understand Husker Nation's fascination with the idea of "____, just like Osborne did in the old days"TM, but Nebraska kept running because that is, inexplicably, what Miami wanted us to do (or put another way, what we cleverly forced Miami to want us to do?). Either by Tim Beck's design and calls, or by Miami's defensive ineptitude, they kept safeties high all day and Beck took what was there.

Not every team that faces us will bring a 2-gap front and play that way. I expect most teams will instead try to duplicate what McNeese State did. So the test will be how Beck counters this, as well as how Tommy steps up to the plate. We're probably going to see a lot more passing.

• Fire 1

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

We've turned into what Colorado once was...

But beat Nebraska...

We can't possibly lose to Northwestern. That team is a shambles. But Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and a bowl game? Absolute possibilities.

And then, like polo says, we'll have to change something. Whether that's the coaching staff, the head coach, offensive/defensive philosophies - something will have to change.

Oh....I fully agree with this. If/when we lose our first game, this board will be filled with absolutely every negative ninny claiming from the highest mountain that "SEE....WE WERE RIGHT!!! WE SUCK!!!"

I'm just tired of our own fans trying to convince me we suck and I shouldn't be excited about the year.

• Fire 3

Any perceived negativity coming from me is at the fault of the person who believes that.

lies.gif

Well if I'm being negative, you're on my team. Because I believe the exact same thing you did when you started this thread. Nebraska is exactly where I thought they'd be at this point if the season. I've been saying for awhile there are four games that make this season, the first of which is in two weeks.

Oh....I fully agree with this. If/when we lose our first game, this board will be filled with absolutely every negative ninny claiming from the highest mountain that "SEE....WE WERE RIGHT!!! WE SUCK!!!"

I'm just tired of our own fans trying to convince me we suck and I shouldn't be excited about the year.

Yep. It's funny because they get something out of life telling guys on a message board that they were right, and we were wrong...

We can't possibly lose to Northwestern. That team is a shambles. But Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and a bowl game? Absolute possibilities.

And then, like polo says, we'll have to change something. Whether that's the coaching staff, the head coach, offensive/defensive philosophies - something will have to change.

Please dont do this. I beg of you.

• Fire 1

We've turned into what Colorado once was...

But beat Nebraska...

Michigan State is the reigning champion. Who else in the B1G would you have us hold our light to? If Northwestern had won the B1G last year people would be saying...wait until NW.

#FireBo

The reality is, is that we have no idea how good (or bad) Miami or any of the other teams are, for that fact.

Um, yes we do. It can't be 100% accurately quantified, but anyone who has watched them play football has a pretty good general idea of how good they are.

Seriously there will be those on the board that downplay the MSU game if we win because they lost to Oregon, who knows. Oregon might lose to Arizona next thursday making it a "REALITY" that maybe MSU isn't that good.

Let's worry about that if and when it happens.