We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

Negative reinforcement via Knapp. I get it. Makes sense given our past as choke artists on the big stage. But to say 4-0 isnt an accompishment, thats just absurd.

I think not pooping our pants against Miami was a minor accomplishment. I suppose we should just be glad we pooped our pants against MacNeese State instead.

So we're 4-0 (for the third time in the Pelini Era) and everyone's jazzed we beat Miami in a slugfest. We're 1/3 of the way through the season (which is awful to think about) and we're ranked (barely) entering conference play. We're set up to possibly get to the Conference Championship Game, and things seem all right.

But the defense has holes and has surrendered touchdowns on opening drives against three of our four opponents. We've cut way back on turnovers but part of that is luck - dropped INTs, balls on the turf we've recovered.

That four-loss specter still looms.

We have four road games and four home games left. We could easily lose to Michigan State and Wisconsin, and Iowa outplayed us last year on our field. In Iowa City, if they figure out their quarterback situation, that game's no gimme, either.

09/27/14 Illinois - Memorial Stadium

10/04/14 Michigan State - @ East Lansing, Mich.

10/18/14 Northwestern - @ Evanston, Ill.

10/25/14 Rutgers - Memorial Stadium

11/01/14 Purdue - Memorial Stadium

11/08/14 Wisconsin - @ Madison, Wis.

11/22/14 Minnesota - Memorial Stadium

11/28/14 Iowa - @ Iowa City, Iowa

Frankly, Illinois could pose the biggest risk of all right now - an uninspiring opponent sandwiched between what should be our two toughest games, but an opponent who can move the ball, who runs an offense that gives Nebraska matchup problems - particularly at linebacker. Miami repeatedly gashed us through the air, and Wes Lunt may be a better quarterback than Kaaya. He's certainly more experienced.

The recurring theme for Bo's teams has been trouble between their ears. They check out of games, they don't properly prepare for games (McNeese State), or mental mistakes within games snowball into catastrophe.

Combating that problem is Ameer Abdullah, who promised Husker Fans that a McNeese State lack of preparation would not happen again this year. Tommy Armstrong and Kenny Bell are vocal leaders on offense who demand excellence and aren't afraid to get in someone's face when they're underperforming.

On defense, that's Josh Mitchell. But who else is bugging these guys to bust ass every week, for every opponent? What other leaders on defense do we have helping Mitchell keep people focused?

For all the excitement over this team right now - and there's some reason to be excited - we aren't any further along than we were in 2010 or 2011. And we had a far better defense in 2010, yet we still lost four games.

I'm happy we're 4-0. It's a great place to be.

But we haven't accomplished anything yet, and our four-loss nemesis is still lurking, still a very real possibility.

It sucks to think about things in that respect. But that's the reality we're facing.

mSAHqdk.jpg

Why do we as fans need a reality check? Seriously???

I can understand this talk being had with the team. They need to stay focused and not believe the hype. They need to continue to play with urgency and intensity every single time they get on the field and even in practice.

BUT, we are fans. The word "fan" comes from "fanatic". Being "fanatic" about something means, a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal. We are meant to be excited and have fun with this team. That's the fun part of being a fan.

​I don't need a reality check. We are 4-0. The team I am a "fan" of has done what they are expected to do. They have won. There are lots of reasons to be excited bout the rest of the season. So spare me the "reality check".

• Fire 5

On paper, and history tell us....blah blah blah.C'mon Knapp. If this is the case, then why should we ever look forward of getting out of the "hole" or so to speak. We're 4-0. Would you rather us have lost that McNeese game, or folded after Miami scored on the opening drive.Spin it with negativity, but it can be spun positively too. Depends if the glass is half full or half empty.

I think his point was look forward to getting out of the whole when they beat a team with a pulse and actually show consistency. When Miami is your biggest win of the year this year it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
Certainly nothing that we could do about it. I think there's good reason to think this season is different. Through the first 4 games since 2008: 2008: Teams played finished 28-23 Offense: 421 yards per game (155 rushing, 266 passing)Defense: 355 yards per game (116 rushing, 239 passing)TO Differential: -1 (6 forced, 7 conceded) 2009: Teams played finished 25-24 Offense: 440 yards per game (184 rushing, 256 passing)Defense: 283 yards per game (113 rushing, 170 passing)TO Differential: +4 (7 forced, 3 conceded) 2010: Teams played finished 20-29 Offense: 471 yards per game (309 rushing, 162 passing)Defense: 265 yards per game (139 rushing, 126 passing)TO Differential: +2 (12 forced, 10 conceded) 2011: Teams played finished 24-26 Offense: 439 yards per game (272 rushing, 167 passing)Defense: 350 yards per game (133 rushing, 217 passing)TO Differential: 0 (6 forced, 6 conceded) 2012: Teams played finished 20-30 Offense: 542 yards per game (318 rushing, 224 passing)Defense: 352 yards per game (177 rushing, 175 passing)TO Differential: -2 (7 forced, 9 conceded) 2013: Teams played finished 25-26 Offense: 496 yards per game (281 rushing, 215 passing)Defense: 464 yards per game (179 rushing, 285 passing)TO Differential: +4 (10 forced, 6 conceded) 2014: Teams played finished ??-?? Offense: 560 yards per game (329 rushing, 231 passing)Defense: 330 yards per game (150 rushing, 180 passing)TO Differential: 0 (4 forced, 4 conceded) So where does that put us in terms of recent years? Rushing yards per game: 1stPassing yards per game: 3rdTotal yards per game: 1st Rushing yards allowed per game: 5thPassing yards allowed per game: 4thTotal yards allowed per game: 3rd Turnovers forced: 7thTurnovers conceded: 2ndTO Differential: 4th

Who knows? These numbers will undoubtedly be inflated by McNeese, who's an FCS program, which is laughable, but FAU, Fresno and Miami could all struggle for bowl eligibility and it wouldn't surprise me.

They. Haven't. Played. Anyone. That's all I'm saying. Knapp is too, btw.

If there's one number out of those that's worth paying attention to though, it's the turnovers conceded number, 2nd lowest since 2009. You don't have to be playing great teams to not concede turnovers.

Eeehhhhhhhh maybe,

As was eluded to, there are a few dropped INT's and what have you. And sometimes the ball bounces your way. It does appear that Ameer has conquered the though.

Why do we as fans need a reality check? Seriously???

I can understand this talk being had with the team. They need to stay focused and not believe the hype. They need to continue to play with urgency and intensity every single time they get on the field and even in practice.

BUT, we are fans. The word "fan" comes from "fanatic". Being "fanatic" about something means, a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal. We are meant to be excited and have fun with this team. That's the fun part of being a fan.

​I don't need a reality check. We are 4-0. The team I am a "fan" of has done what they are expected to do. They have won. There are lots of reasons to be excited bout the rest of the season. So spare me the "reality check".

Exactly. Your a fan. You should have your own fountain of koolaid that makes you think we could win any game anywhere. Nobody should need to help you be exstatic about winning.

That is why when I come here it's to have a level headed discussion on whether our play is to other teams level and whether stuff is realistic or not. After the first loss of any season shouldn't create massive suicide alarms because everybody thinks Nebraska is always the greatest thing ever.

I want to hear about the bad when we are winning because it tells me how good we really are. Don't you want to know how we are doing compared to teams we don't play? Or am I crazy and we should all pump koolaid all the time and yell at anyone who says otherwise because Nebraska is the greatest thing ever and you can go lay in a gutter for thinking otherwise?

Come on man!

Purely self -serving sophistry.

We may not have accomplished AS MUCH; or done it as THOUROUGHLY; or performed as DOMINATINGLY as some might wish…....... but it is laborious and useless negativity to say we have accomplished NOTHING.

We have won 4 games. That is (under any definition) certainly “something”.

This entire thread is rendered worthless based on the disingenuousness of the title alone.

• Fire 3

We may not have accomplished AS MUCH; or done it as THOUROUGHLY; or performed as DOMINATINGLY as some might wish…....... but it is laborious and useless negativity to say we have accomplished NOTHING.

This entire thread is rendered worthless based on the disingenuousness of the title alone.

Nicely put.

On paper, and history tell us....blah blah blah.C'mon Knapp. If this is the case, then why should we ever look forward of getting out of the "hole" or so to speak. We're 4-0. Would you rather us have lost that McNeese game, or folded after Miami scored on the opening drive.Spin it with negativity, but it can be spun positively too. Depends if the glass is half full or half empty.

I think his point was look forward to getting out of the whole when they beat a team with a pulse and actually show consistency. When Miami is your biggest win of the year this year it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
Certainly nothing that we could do about it. I think there's good reason to think this season is different. Through the first 4 games since 2008: 2008: Teams played finished 28-23 Offense: 421 yards per game (155 rushing, 266 passing)Defense: 355 yards per game (116 rushing, 239 passing)TO Differential: -1 (6 forced, 7 conceded) 2009: Teams played finished 25-24 Offense: 440 yards per game (184 rushing, 256 passing)Defense: 283 yards per game (113 rushing, 170 passing)TO Differential: +4 (7 forced, 3 conceded) 2010: Teams played finished 20-29 Offense: 471 yards per game (309 rushing, 162 passing)Defense: 265 yards per game (139 rushing, 126 passing)TO Differential: +2 (12 forced, 10 conceded) 2011: Teams played finished 24-26 Offense: 439 yards per game (272 rushing, 167 passing)Defense: 350 yards per game (133 rushing, 217 passing)TO Differential: 0 (6 forced, 6 conceded) 2012: Teams played finished 20-30 Offense: 542 yards per game (318 rushing, 224 passing)Defense: 352 yards per game (177 rushing, 175 passing)TO Differential: -2 (7 forced, 9 conceded) 2013: Teams played finished 25-26 Offense: 496 yards per game (281 rushing, 215 passing)Defense: 464 yards per game (179 rushing, 285 passing)TO Differential: +4 (10 forced, 6 conceded) 2014: Teams played finished ??-?? Offense: 560 yards per game (329 rushing, 231 passing)Defense: 330 yards per game (150 rushing, 180 passing)TO Differential: 0 (4 forced, 4 conceded) So where does that put us in terms of recent years? Rushing yards per game: 1stPassing yards per game: 3rdTotal yards per game: 1st Rushing yards allowed per game: 5thPassing yards allowed per game: 4thTotal yards allowed per game: 3rd Turnovers forced: 7thTurnovers conceded: 2ndTO Differential: 4th

Who knows? These numbers will undoubtedly be inflated by McNeese, who's an FCS program, which is laughable, but FAU, Fresno and Miami could all struggle for bowl eligibility and it wouldn't surprise me.

They. Haven't. Played. Anyone. That's all I'm saying. Knapp is too, btw.

Polo, you seriously aren't happy unless you are negative are you? I think it is the most idiotic thing to say "WE HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYONE"...when it is 4 games in and there are 100 programs still trying to find out who they are. STFU for once, and let it play out a little bit. I am starting to think you secretly root for the bad to take place so you can have something to talk about on the board. Or so you can say "I told you so."

Good grief. Some people.

• Fire 2

+1

We knew coming into the season we should start 5-0 and Michigan State is the first real test, right? How is what knapplc and polo are saying suddenly controversial?

seeing how there was an argument about how fresno was no gimme, even though everyone agreed we should crush them; this should come as no surprise.

• Fire 1

We knew coming into the season we should start 5-0 and Michigan State is the first real test, right? How is what knapplc and polo are saying suddenly controversial?

It's fine if you have no interest in reality, but to most people it kind of matters.

It's not about the facts of reality. The reality is, is that we have no idea how good (or bad) Miami or any of the other teams are, for that fact. The beef is the constant ho hum attitude until we freaking beat Bama.

Seriously there will be those on the board that downplay the MSU game if we win because they lost to Oregon, who knows. Oregon might lose to Arizona next thursday making it a "REALITY" that maybe MSU isn't that good.

At the end of the day, there are no "gimme" games anymore in college football. If you don't understand that, well then, have fun being miserable. Just be glad we're 4-0 and fought through the adversity that we've already endured to this point.

In terms of actual competition and looking to the future, yeah, we've accomplished really nothing. But I've seen some things in the first few games and especially against Miami that leave me with more hope (and even higher expectations) than recent past years...

We've seen an offense that looks as fluid and committed to the run as we've seen in recent memory. It's awesome. And especially against Miaim, we piss pounded them into the ground. That game was no where near as close in the 4th as the score indicates. We took over the fourth quarter instead of diddling around and lettin them hang in. And after the fights, when Bo blew the top and and they proceeded to drive to a first and goal to end the 3rd, and it appeared that there was another vintage temper tantrum meltdown upon us, the team raired up, bowed their head, and our defense made to tremendously physical and emotional plays to shut them down and force a field goal. Then our running game took over and we took complete control of the game.

I understand that we played a mediocre team and probable didnt win by the most impressive margin, but I look at the details of the game. What happened. Why it happened. How did we respond to certain stages of adversity. We came out what appeared to be flat and not ready for the moment again. Let Miami fly right down the field. But we responded. Took it right back to em with poise and exposiveness. Then the defense stood up for a couple possessions. And while we appeared to not quite be ready, we really settled in much quickly than in the past. The hole wasnt dug quite as deep. So those are just some things from a mental/psychological standpoint that I say major improvement in that leaves me with this increased hope. X's and O's are fixable. Mentality is not nearly as easily, and this group just seems to be more dialed into it. That's why it feels different.

We start 6-0 and I'm serving Big Gulps of kool-aid like crazy. That would be accomplishing something - winning your non-con (however easy) and passing your toughest test of the regular season. That's when the excitement can get to "we're a strong favorite to win the Big Ten" levels.

Problem is, we've seen starts like this before, and we've seen eventual meltdowns. Even though this team appears different, there are very concerning things happening with this defense, first and foremost the mounting injuries. This team may be better than teams past, more mentally sound, and still lose four games due to circumstances beyond their control.

In part, I'm cautioning against making this start seem like more than it is because the crash-to-reality is going to be severe, and those predisposed toward negativity will harp more than ever at those predisposed to positivity. The board will melt down, and it'll be painful just to come here. We'll have our very own Inquisition, just like 2007. And there will be fallout. And it will suck.

But beat Michigan State...........