We have accomplished nothing - reality check time

knapplc

i am very worried that by the time we play wiscy, they will be a quality team. i think if we played them this week or next week we would have a pretty good chance. but if they continue to improve, i think they have a higher ceiling than us and could be near impossible for us to beat in madison. i just wish we played them earlier.

otherwise, if we keep improving i think we can have a very good year and break that four loss streak, in a good way. but we do need to demonstrate consistency over a season (even in losses) before we really prove anything.

I actually look at it a little differently. I think this team might just get better as the season goes on. I actually think you might not want us in November cause we may be a lot to handle by then. I think MSU may be getting us at a good time.
  • Fire 1

I actually look at it a little differently. I think this team might just get better as the season goes on. I actually think you might not want us in November cause we may be a lot to handle by then. I think MSU may be getting us at a good time.

it will just be tough to beat them at camp randall if they are playing at their potential.

that is why i wish we could switch them and msu. i do not see msu getting much better (because they are already playing very well). i see wiscy getting a lot better. it would be nice to get them while they are still raw and working out whatever is going on up there.

• Fire 2

After 4 games no team has accomplished anything yet. The difference between this team and teams in past specifically 2011 and 2012 is that they actually have some real talent and some depth where it matters. The 2013 season was sidelined by injuries and youth.

I myself think that NU overachieved to their talent in 2011 and 2012. The defense was woefully untalented in the first 2 levels those years, and the offensive line had very little depth. Most people like to point to bad coaching causing the 4 loss seasons. I think the coaching actually made that talent over achieve to 9-10 win seasons.

Right now they are playing 10 guys on the O-line that hasn't happened in the Pelini era. They have good depth at DB and better overall depth at LB. D-line depth is a concern, but they only need 2-3 backups to step up just a little more to be able to give those starters some rese.

I am optimistic about this team. I think there is finally some real talent and ability. I like the attitude and the leadership.

• Fire 5

After 4 games no team has accomplished anything yet. The difference between this team and teams in past specifically 2011 and 2012 is that they actually have some real talent and some depth where it matters. The 2013 season was sidelined by injuries and youth.

I myself think that NU overachieved to their talent in 2011 and 2012. The defense was woefully untalented in the first 2 levels those years, and the offensive line had very little depth. Most people like to point to bad coaching causing the 4 loss seasons. I think the coaching actually made that talent over achieve to 9-10 win seasons.

Right now they are playing 10 guys on the O-line that hasn't happened in the Pelini era. They have good depth at DB and better overall depth at LB. D-line depth is a concern, but they only need 2-3 backups to step up just a little more to be able to give those starters some rese.

I am optimistic about this team. I think there is finally some real talent and ability. I like the attitude and the leadership.

This^

• Fire 1

But the defense has holes and has surrendered touchdowns on opening drives against three of our four opponents. We've cut way back on turnovers but part of that is luck - dropped INTs, balls on the turf we've recovered.

We still had that stuff happen when we were turning the ball over more frequently. It just wasn't as big of a deal, because we were actually turning the ball over more frequently. Not saying our fumble problems are cured, but so far - so good. This has probably been the best little stretch we've had taking care of the ball since Pelini has been here, then again it's just a little stretch, and it's a long season.

As for the bigger picture, Miami was a nice win, some of the most fun I've had watching a Husker game in a while. Michigan State is the real test, though.

• Fire 2

We won't have to wait too long to see where this team really stands... Take care of business this week and Michigan St will be the first true gauge for the year. Media overreacted to the sparty game against oregon as usual, that was a back and forth game until the last quarter in Eugene. How we show up and play in east Lansing in a game that's bound to get national coverage and broadcast against an established, quality team will be telling.

This thread really didnt need to be said outloud. We were all thinking what was said in the op. Thanks for the downer. But 4-0 is still 4-0 and I'm pretty damn ecstatic about that. Obviously a win this week puts us a bit more in the spotlight which is a shot at failure like in the past. History may repeat itself alot in Lincoln but nothing Ive seen so far this year tells me we cant break the 4 loss mold and get back to Indy.

I think there's a lot of respect by the team for the players who don't have another year to accomplish anything at Nebraska. Ameer, Kenny, Randy, and Josh are all very hard workers who have dedicated a lot to their teammates. But mostly every senior before this group dedicated a lot to the program; what's different with this group? Charisma. Evident leadership. I'm not sure how vocal Taylor or Rex were, but I know that Ameer, Kenny, and Josh have been very vocal about the expectations of their teammates. I think that has had an effect on the team. Combined with the fact that these guys don't have another year to make a difference, in my opinion, has facilitated a higher level of focus in this team.

I don't see us blowing up in any game this year. Not when we visit East Lansing in a week. Not when we visit Madison in what could be a game for the division in November. And certainly not when we play Iowa to end the year. If we can channel the level of intensity from that Miami game and carry it throughout the rest of the season, something very special could be in store.

From Game 1 it felt like it would be a different season. We're about to find out soon enough.

• Fire 2

I would argue that a major part of the problem over the past six four-loss seasons was that this kind of thing wasn't said often enough. Too much hype led to complacency, poor preparation and the pattern of bad losses and blowouts.

And more to my point, you have a guy on our team saying this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/21/huskers-see-no-need-to-celebrate-their-4-0-start/16014409/

Any given week, anything can happen," running back Ameer Abdullah said. "We have had good years where we have lost to some teams that we probably should've beat and some weeks where we beat a good team that we weren't as talented as. Don't believe the hype, don't buy in to anything you hear. Don't think that just because things are going well for you now that you can't hit rock bottom at any point.

I would argue that a major part of the problem over the past six four-loss seasons was that this kind of thing wasn't said often enough. Too much hype led to complacency, poor preparation and the pattern of bad losses and blowouts.

Granted the coaches need to be preaching this. But they also need to instill the confidence required to play like the world beaters they are capable of being.

Im not gonna pretend Ive seen every team play this year, but few have impressed me as much as our Huskers. Avoid the mental mistakes and its good night Irene to all of our opponents.

Tommy Armstrong and Kenny Bell are vocal leaders on offense who demand excellence and aren't afraid to get in someone's face when they're underperforming.

Tommy's vocal leadership is possibly the most underrated element to this team's success this season. It was amazing to me how confidently he spoke about leading "his" offense last season, just a few games into the Martinez injury period. I don't care what anyone says about "leading non-verbally by example," this is a huge advantage IMO that past team's of Bo under Martinez didn't have.

Love the guy for that. He is a winner that knew how to win when he was in high school. Nothing has changed for him. He's the freaking man.

• Fire 2

Looking at the stats...how the Huskers have performed in every game thus far even compared to Sparty....honestly, Sparty should be worried about a hungry Husker team lead by Ameer and Armstrong coming into East Lansing. I haven't felt this good and confident in the team since 2010...and this team has certain aspects that could possibly transcend the 2010 squad.