**** What we learned - Illinois edition ****

walksalone

MO:

How the heck is that an apt comparison at all?

You compared TMart's FRESHMAN season when we fully knew he was the QB Bo and Beck had hitched their wagon to TA's first season as a starter during which he only started 8 games when Taylor went down? And that's counting the Penn State game where he was 1 for 2 before he left the game?

That's a terrible comp. Apples and oranges if I've ever seen it. That offense ran through TMart's ability to run the zone read. Of course his running numbers are going to be superior to TA's. And last year they had the kid gloves on with TA since they didn't even plan on him being the starter until TM went down.

I see why you ended the debate. If you didn't want to get hammered, don't use such a ridiculous comparison.

I don't think a Sophomore v. Sophomore campaign is apples to apples when one has a superior OL, RB, and WR core and the other had a new OC.

I guess the problems I have with Beck's playcalling in those first three games stems from a few really bad choices. I believe the best example was the FAU opening drive, third and fourth down play calls. Totally ridiculous to not decide to just ram the ball down their throat. Even if they load the box and we fail, it's better than what we did. That same scenario has played out a few times in each of those first thrree games. Beck just tried too hard to be too cute at times. Like a many have said, he just couldn't keep out of his own way. Sure we were still highly successful in two of those games but not because Beck didn't make plenty of bad play calls along with plenty of good ones. When it is a lesser opponent, I expect us to be pretty efficient so the dumber calls seem to stick out more. I just sense that he has been approaching it differently (and better) the last two games. It seems obvious to me that he is being a little more patient and has chosen to rely more heavily on the O line and our RB's, especially Ameer, and that is a much better gameplan IMO.

I still fail to see how you can say Beck did a horrible job in either the FA or Fresno game.

He accomplished what he did while actually not over using Ameer, getting him what he needs to stay in the national discussion and keeping him fresh for games like Miami.

I don't care who you have as OC and you will be able to pick a play here or there out that you think should have been called differently. Heck, even TO had plays that didn't work or that you could question why he called that play. (and no, not all were this great mastermind of setting up other plays.) Sometimes plays just don't work. That's football.

And, as someone else said, you don't know what was originally called and what TA changed at the line with what he thought he could do.

The fact is, we are 5-0. Our offense is looking very good statistically and that isn't just the last two games. That doesn't just happen in spite of the OC. He has done a very good job this year.

I have a question. How much better do you really think the offensive line is this year than years past? I think it may be a little better, but it's not leaps and bounds. Let's look at what we do offensively. First off, we have a transcending player for a running back. Makes the whole offense look good. Taylor didnt really have that. Yeah, I loved Burkhead too, but he was nowhere close to the caliber that Ameer Abdullah is today. It's just a hard fact of life. But the other thing is Tommy's ability and, more importantly, willingness to stretch the field vertically on a routine basis has done so much to open up this offense in the box. it's a night and day difference. Combine that with the fact that Tommy is obviously more comfortable with the read action in the zone game, and his mesh with Ameer is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. It's my opinion but to Tommy is already better than Taylor ever was when it comes to doing what a qb should do, and that's lead the offense. There's much more to it than nitpicking stats and picks and completion percentage. It's how the team responds to the leadership and what the qb brings to the table from a threat standpoint.

Couldn't agree more. I do think the O line is better this year but possibly simply because it is healthier at this point in time. The thing is, the whole dynamic and synergy is what makes things click. When the passing game is a credible threat, it helps open up the running game and vice versa. Plus, this may just be my impression but, I think Tommy's leadership, presence, whatever you want to call it, inspires the players around him to give a little bit more. Taylor was a great individual talent with the ability to take it to the house on any play but I feel the rest of the team understands that TA is going to try to stay within himself more, stick with the system, and not try to do it all alone. I think that has a huge impact on the mindset and effort the other 10 players give every down.

If I had to rank the reasons for the success of this years offense compared to previous seasons they would be;

1A- The combination of all of the following

1- Offensive Line play

2- Ameer and the running backs

3- Beck's play calling

4- Quarterback play- Tommy A.

I guess the problems I have with Beck's playcalling in those first three games stems from a few really bad choices. I believe the best example was the FAU opening drive, third and fourth down play calls. Totally ridiculous to not decide to just ram the ball down their throat. Even if they load the box and we fail, it's better than what we did. That same scenario has played out a few times in each of those first thrree games. Beck just tried too hard to be too cute at times. Like a many have said, he just couldn't keep out of his own way. Sure we were still highly successful in two of those games but not because Beck didn't make plenty of bad play calls along with plenty of good ones. When it is a lesser opponent, I expect us to be pretty efficient so the dumber calls seem to stick out more. I just sense that he has been approaching it differently (and better) the last two games. It seems obvious to me that he is being a little more patient and has chosen to rely more heavily on the O line and our RB's, especially Ameer, and that is a much better gameplan IMO.

I still fail to see how you can say Beck did a horrible job in either the FA or Fresno game.

He accomplished what he did while actually not over using Ameer, getting him what he needs to stay in the national discussion and keeping him fresh for games like Miami.

I don't care who you have as OC and you will be able to pick a play here or there out that you think should have been called differently. Heck, even TO had plays that didn't work or that you could question why he called that play. (and no, not all were this great mastermind of setting up other plays.) Sometimes plays just don't work. That's football.

And, as someone else said, you don't know what was originally called and what TA changed at the line with what he thought he could do.

The fact is, we are 5-0. Our offense is looking very good statistically and that isn't just the last two games. That doesn't just happen in spite of the OC. He has done a very good job this year.

Whoa whoa whoa, back the truck up. I'm not saying Beck did a horrible job in those two games. What I'm saying is he screwed the pooch a few times in those games. big difference. I'm a nitpicker and I tend to focus on what doesn't work as opposed to what does- that's on me and I realize it. But yes, Beck has done a much better job this year than I believe he has done in seasons past. And that, ggod or bad, is not all on him either. As my previous post indicates, it is also a result of the synergy of numerous things helping him out. Line play, Ameer, running backs, QB play-Tommy, etc. When it all comes together, it makes everything easier.

Well, sorry if I misinterpreted this statement.

Beck has done well all year minus the mcneese state game.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The games Beck called against Miami and Illinois were noticeably improved from the previous three games. Specifically he seemed to stick with what was working while also exploiting what the defense was giving us. Previously he would try to out guess the D, force things he thought would be there, and generally get in his own way. IMO the change from the first three games to the last two has been quite remarkable and obvious.

To me, I took that as you saying he did a bad job in the first three games and good job in the last two.

Taylor improved throughout his career. The only thing that kept him from getting better was injury.

Statistically that may be true . . . but he still had that same panicked look . . . and the same questions about how much his teammates liked him as their QB.

His game always reminded me of a 14 year old kid who was handed the keys to a Ferrari. Fantastic athlete but his brain didn't seem to move as quickly as his feet.

• Fire 1

Oh, sorry. I was talking about the Taylor Martinez that played Quarterback for Nebraska - the guy who led the team to two of its top three comeback wins, the guy who was playing his ass off in the 2012 Conference Championship Game disaster when others had quit, the guy who has a ton of Nebraska records in his hip pocket.

I'm not sure what panicked and disliked-by-his-teammates Taylor Martinez we're talking about. Gotta be a different guy.

pjtaylor.png

w1EA09A.jpg

• Fire 8

Statistically that may be true . . .

#EyeTest

This is getting pretty tangential, but per Wikipedia his Rating was 138.8, 126.5, 141.6, 140.0 for an average of 136.3 over his career. Obviously rating is just one flawed metric, and statistics in general don't come close to telling the whole story.

And almost 30 fumbles in two years? Going from memory . . . or maybe that's the old #eyetest bias. :P