**** What we learned - Illinois edition ****

walksalone

Our 2016 recruiting class now sits at TWO COMMITS!!!

Make that THREE!

Where are you seeing three?
Not in the recruiting section...
Sure it is, John Raridon a guard from Iowa scouts number 16 overall player in the class!
The commits came during the game, and I know some don't lurk on the recruiting forum as much as others (I would be in that others category). I thought it would be worth highlighting that were are already developing a solid 2016 class, in 2014. Slow, poor recruiting was a knock against this staff, but things have changed for the better.

- It's time for the trend of our defense giving up an easy touchdown on the first drive of the game to stop.

- When our defense puts pressure on the quarterback, great things happen. When they don't, bad things happen.

- Tommy Armstrong is still more dangerous running the ball than he is passing it, but when he does connect with the deep ball, it's a thing of beauty. When he doesn't... well... bad things happen (see a trend here?)

- For the most part, Beck called a very smart game against Illinois.

- Next weekend is going to be a HUGE challenge for Nebraska, but I like our chances.

Ameer should be considered the Heisman front runner at this point in time.

We are deep at RB and there is little drop off from AA- think about that.

Beck has done much better these last two games, let's hope that continues against some much tougher defenses.

Liked the shoes, the rest of the red rising uniform was just bad. Hope they burn them and switch to Nike.

We've got a challenge coming up with MSU. Should be a great game.

Beck has done well all year minus the mcneese state game.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The games Beck called against Miami and Illinois were noticeably improved from the previous three games. Specifically he seemed to stick with what was working while also exploiting what the defense was giving us. Previously he would try to out guess the D, force things he thought would be there, and generally get in his own way. IMO the change from the first three games to the last two has been quite remarkable and obvious.

Beck has done much better these last two games, let's hope that continues against some much tougher defenses.

Liked the shoes, the rest of the red rising uniform was just bad. Hope they burn them and switch to Nike.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. The games Beck called against Miami and Illinois were noticeably improved from the previous three games. Specifically he seemed to stick with what was working while also exploiting what the defense was giving us. Previously he would try to out guess the D, force things he thought would be there, and generally get in his own way. IMO the change from the first three games to the last two has been quite remarkable and obvious.

Totally 100% agree with your points.

Totally 100% agree with your points.

The problem is what happens when we go down a score or two against a team we're already not favored against? I totally agree that Beck has seemingly turned a corner... but we've said that before. IMO we will learn the most about Beck's true improvement (or possible lack thereof) when it's crunch time. I can only hope he stays the course because we've certainly seen him snowball in a bad way in the past...

1. Anyone who has questioned why Imani or Newby aren't getting more touches has their answer. It's because Ameers Abdullah is the best back in the country and the offense is on an entirely different level when he is taking the handoffs.

2. Between the three safety look and Gregory lined up as a LB and all of the offensive wrinkles that we have shown (motion, jet sweep, wildcat, etc) MSU is going to have a LOT to think about.

3. My guess is that the keys next week on offense will be protecting the ball and whether our WR corps can win the one on one battles that they will see on virtually every snap. My guess as to the keys on defense is whether or not we can slow down the run game and the TE and RB passing game.

4. I'm having more fun watching the huskers over the past few games than I've had in years.

5. Randy Gregory. Woof.

• Fire 2

I'm certainly no Taylor Martinez hater but this offense is in much better hands than the previous four years. Tommy sure has room to improve in the decision making department but he can manage a game and provides leadership. His throwing ability is light years ahead of TM's. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but the QB difference is the main reason our O is so much more prolific and effective. TM was a special talent and gave a lot for this program but TA is much better for making everything click.

Ummmm, yeah.

There is this cat that wears #8. We saw the difference when he was out of the game even with #4 at QB.

I think that the word I'm looking for to desribe this line of thinking is delusional.

We agree the last two games had great game plans. We agree mcneese wasn't great. That leave just two games to disagree on.

Florida Atlantic = we scored 55 points with AA running for 232 yards. Newby had over 100. Basically 500 yards rushing for the game. We also proved we can beat people with the long ball if you stack the box. We had 2 receivers with over 100 yards.

Fresno = learned from the mcneese state game that not every pass needs to be 30 yards down field. They stacked the box to stop the run and we beat them with intermediate routes sand included the tight ends.

562 yards of total offense.

I believe those games set up the success we saw the last two weeks. Teams who only play one safety high are going to get burned. Miami tried it and paid the price early and didn't go back.

I'm certainly no Taylor Martinez hater but this offense is in much better hands than the previous four years. Tommy sure has room to improve in the decision making department but he can manage a game and provides leadership. His throwing ability is light years ahead of TM's. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but the QB difference is the main reason our O is so much more prolific and effective. TM was a special talent and gave a lot for this program but TA is much better for making everything click.

He is much more accurate on the deep ball than TM was. His passing motion is much more natural. He still has some misreads, he still stares down his intended target, But I like his poise, I like his ability and tenacity to stick in the pocket and throw the ball. I think he is beginning to trust in his ability to run instead of forcing the pass. He showed some signs of that tonight, but other times he tried forcing throws that were not there.

He's still a little rough around the edges, but looking at the big picture, he's already one of the top 2-3 QBs in the conference. Certainly the best dual threat. That bodes well for the next 2 1/2 years.
  • Fire 1

Ameer. Wow.

My first game in stadium since the UCLA game last year. Was very impressed how involved the fans were, even later in the game. It did fall off when the game was in hand, but still much better than last year.

I liked the big N and football threads over the big screen, a lot. Looked awesome, especially in the lights. Fireworks were meh...either need to be more impressive or not at all I think. Was really p.o'd at the explosion fireworks during the National Anthem. I'm a vet and get a little worked up for the National Anthem...save the explosions till it is over. (I know that's me ranting, you may disregard if you like).

Ameer. Wow!

Would like to say I'm drinking the kool-aid regarding next week, but I'm nervous. Maybe that is a good thing. I think it means I believe we can, and possibly should win. It is good to believe again. Nervous or not, I am convinced that Sparty will have his hand full and get bloodied next week.

Along the lines of next week. Part of me likes to think we've "kept something back" in terms of offense, in particular a more potent short passing game. Would love to spring that on them. On the other hand, the notion of bringing out "new" things during the heat of battle could lead to many bad things. In the end, I'd love to see the same old game plan - -run it down their throats till they give up - - and see it work. Pretty sure most Husker fans my age would come unglued, and possibly cause some of the recent deceased Husker fans to even raise up if that came to fruition next weekend.

Two numbers for the exit:

Only undefeated Big10 team.

Defense has forced the most 3 & outs in the realm of FBS.

And finally.

Ameer! Wow!

! ! ! ! ! Go Big Red ! ! ! ! !

Ummmm, yeah.

There is this cat that wears #8. We saw the difference when he was out of the game even with #4 at QB.

I think that the word I'm looking for to desribe this line of thinking is delusional.

Thinking TA is a better leader, game manager, and has better throwing mechanics than TM is delusional? Thinking 5-0 is better than any start under TM is delusional? You might want to look up the word delusional. I don't think it means what you think it does.

• Fire 1