**** What we learned - Illinois edition ****

walksalone

I learned that Nebraska is 50 - 0 when two running backs have over 100yds rushing. That should make the gameplan easy for the offense against MSU.

Our defense said they would play better in shutting down the passing game and they did. It seemed like 1/3rd of O'Tooles passes went straight to the sideline because a) great pressure from the front 4 and b) great coverage to keep his options limited.

Tommy Armstrong is a 2nd year starting QB, he is still a work in progress. Folks need to relax and stop expecting a QB to be an All-American in his first or second year. Your not gonna get that out of Tommy, nor Ryker, nor Johnny. Let it go and let them develop.

Cross just needs to mentally know how to carry the ball better. switching arms to his non-contact side. Putting two hands on the ball. Simple stuff like that.

Terrell Newby had the best run I have seen him make in quite some time and showed flashes of what he can do when he is patient and waits for the hole to develop and then punch it, like Ameer.

Our secondary is starting to get it mentally and allowing their talents to create the turnovers.

Ameer should be considered the Heisman front runner at this point in time.

We are deep at RB and there is little drop off from AA- think about that.

Beck has done much better these last two games, let's hope that continues against some much tougher defenses.

Liked the shoes, the rest of the red rising uniform was just bad. Hope they burn them and switch to Nike.

We've got a challenge coming up with MSU. Should be a great game.

Right when I was getting a little worried about Ameer leaving next year, Nelson bolted out of nowhere and showed me that he's better than Cross or Newby. Nothing to worry about next year (Okay, maybe not "nothing," but loved seeing Nelson run). Cross and Newby are good, but they seem to lack that explosiveness. Nelson seems to have it.

We have the best offensive player in the country and the best defensive player.

• Fire 1

Our D has the most 3 and outs in FBS.

That's remarkable considering how unimpressed posters on this board - including me - have been with the D

I think it's the 7 effortless-looking points they keep giving up on the first drive that make people nervous, since we've had quite a few disasters in the past few years and it gives a "not this again" feeling.

• Fire 2

1. Despite giving up only 14 points this defense still makes me uneasy. Can't put my finger on why, but just can't buy in to the D yet

2. Short passing game looked better in second half but still needs to improve if we are going to put up points against a well coached defense with talent to back it up

3. This years team has a mental toughness I haven't seen in Bo's teams. Yes, there was a lull in the second half, but overall these kids seem to be able to shrug off bad plays and make adjustments unlike previous years. This more then anything leaves me cautiously optimistic that the blowout losses are over.