Everybody clap their hands

That's some gamesmanship from MSU. Dantonio's right that they can use whatever signals they want to set their defense, but we all know what's going on here.

On that note, why don't we do the snap count a different way? I always thought our QBs clapping looked odd, and don't see too many other teams doing it. We could have a verbal snap count, for example. Why not? What's the advantage to a clap, not clapping, etc?

The advantage is the fact that the defensive player mimicking the hand clap would have to physically do the action to replicate, causing a referee to see them trying to induce a premature snap. It's easier defensively to verbally say the cadence and take the "it wasn't me" stance. Either way using it to direct your defensive calls is a clever deflection to say it wasn't me, but it can be refuted by looking at tape and prior games. Bo is bringing it up to B10, to publicly let Dantonio know he's on to it.

• Fire 1

1st incident of "clapping" comes at 10:49 3rd Q (sack/fumble ruled by replay). There is audible clap & early snap but unclear who initiates.

Checked out most of game. I can't find any evidence of MSU players on field clapping presnap. If anyone has it please let me know #Huskers

I obviously haven't rewatched the game to look for this. But, assuming Bishop is correct, if an LB (or anyone) routinely clapped on the defense to move Dlinemen around, wouldn't it be able to be seen on TV?

I think that's correct. Regardless of what Michigan State does, there's no excuse for allowing it to repeatedly befuddle and cause errors on the field. This can't have been the first time a team has tried to pull this on us.

This is the annoying part. The very first bad snap, when they come off the field and ask, "What was that about?" and Pelini says, "I heard the clap," you'd think they would figure it out. If it happened three times and they didn't fix it, that's on us, not Michigan State. Yes, simulating the snap count is illegal, but if the refs aren't calling it, figure out a way to fix the problem.

• Fire 3

That's some gamesmanship from MSU. Dantonio's right that they can use whatever signals they want to set their defense, but we all know what's going on here.

On that note, why don't we do the snap count a different way? I always thought our QBs clapping looked odd, and don't see too many other teams doing it. We could have a verbal snap count, for example. Why not? What's the advantage to a clap, not clapping, etc?

We used to use a dropped hand. Other teams use a picked up foot. The problem with either of those is other QB actions can be interpreted as calling for the snap. I.e., the QB starts to walk up to the line or gives a hand signal to a WR and the center thinks he's calling for the snap. A clap also helps because the line doesn't have to look for it (as you mentioned elsewhere). The can keep there eyes up to make the line calls and adjust to movement from the defense.

I'm curious - as we stole it from Ohio State - if the Spartans were using claps in last years B1G CCG and if it affected the Buckeyes at all.

• Fire 1

Honestly though, we need to figure out a different way to snap the ball. It's way to easy to time the clap count we're doing IMO. He hardly ever claps more than once. Yes, he will fake clap but hardly ever does he clap and the ball isn't snapped fairly immediately after that.

Told of Bo Pelini's intention to discuss the clapping with the Big Ten office, Dantonio suggested that Nebraska's center ought to look at the quarterback instead of relying on him to call for the football.

Wait, wut?

if Tommy 's 7 or more yards behind the neutral zone when Mark looks back to snap, Mark'll get 1 second from deliberate defensive contact

So there's that...