How good is our coaching staff at developing players?

G0B1GRED

Here's another twist in the cause / effect to consider: Are the players that gave a team such a high recruiting ranking the ones responsible for the success of the team?

Case in point: I looked bleacherreport to see how they ranked Nebraska in 2011. We were #8...but the guys who got us that high in their estimation?...Jamal Turner (as a quarterback), Ryan Klachko, and Ryne Reeves.

Watch TE #84 in the Northwestern game.

We still struggle.

Positive side. We must be somewhat capable. We've developed Kondolo and Price, they look damn good. They should be playing more.

I'm not down on too much about this team right now but after this Northwestern game I am a bit discouraged by some things. The fact that Sterup starts over Price bugs me. It just blows my mind. Also, TE #84 should not be allowed on the football field.

At what point do we start holding players accountable for lack of effort and/or lack of performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acewjn0q9nU#t=163

Yeah, that was a crappy pancake block #84 had on AA 50 yd run. None of the other blocks he had showed any effort either.

True I think your dislike for #84's father clouds your judgment about things a little bit.

We still struggle.

Positive side. We must be somewhat capable. We've developed Kondolo and Price, they look damn good. They should be playing more.

I'm not down on too much about this team right now but after this Northwestern game I am a bit discouraged by some things. The fact that Sterup starts over Price bugs me. It just blows my mind. Also, TE #84 should not be allowed on the football field.At what point do we start holding players accountable for lack of effort and/or lack of performance?

Yeah, that was a crappy pancake block #84 had on AA 50 yd run. None of the other blocks he had showed any effort either.

True I think your dislike for #84's father clouds your judgment about things a little bit.

Actually I very rarely jump on Barney Cottons case. I'm also one of the few people that likes his style of offense. He may not be the best position coach, but I've always said I cut him slack a bit because I think what he does best and/or coaches best, is not exactly a fit for Becks scheme. The type of football Barney played in his day isn't the same type of offense we play today. So throw that "dislike his father" stuff out the window.

Also, I rarely throw players under the bus. If I take an issue with a player it is usually because of lack of effort. I can't stand watching a player give half effort. I love to give credit when it is due, and I do so a lot more than many around here.

I won't go on and on dumping on this kids effort, but if he had a good block on that play, good for him. I expect that effort on a consistent basis. All I can tell you is, I watched multiple, MULTIPLE plays that he looked like he didn't put out much, and when he did make contact on his defender he was brushed aside or highly ineffective. In this game, one block can make or break a play. How fair is it that 5 guys do their job and 1 guys goes half ass out there and destroys the play? I called this kid out because I expect better than that. Especially from a kid with Husker bloodlines and a family that is known for having a bit of a mean streak. Come on kid, put someone on their ass is all I'm saying.

We still struggle.

I'm not down on too much about this team right now but after this Northwestern game I am a bit discouraged by some things. The fact that Sterup starts over Price bugs me. It just blows my mind. Also, TE #84 should not be allowed on the football field.At what point do we start holding players accountable for lack of effort and/or lack of performance?

Actually I very rarely jump on Barney Cottons case. I'm also one of the few people that likes his style of offense. He may not be the best position coach, but I've always said I cut him slack a bit because I think what he does best and/or coaches best, is not exactly a fit for Becks scheme. The type of football Barney played in his day isn't the same type of offense we play today. So throw that "dislike his father" stuff out the window.

Also, I rarely throw players under the bus. If I take an issue with a player it is usually because of lack of effort. I can't stand watching a player give half effort. I love to give credit when it is due, and I do so a lot more than many around here.

I won't go on and on dumping on this kids effort, but if he had a good block on that play, good for him. I expect that effort on a consistent basis. All I can tell you is, I watched multiple, MULTIPLE plays that he looked like he didn't put out much, and when he did make contact on his defender he was brushed aside or highly ineffective. In this game, one block can make or break a play. How fair is it that 5 guys do their job and 1 guys goes half ass out there and destroys the play? I called this kid out because I expect better than that. Especially from a kid with Husker bloodlines and a family that is known for having a bit of a mean streak. Come on kid, put someone on their ass is all I'm saying.

OK you like Barney fine. My point is you say you won't go on dumping on his effort and then proceed to dump on his effort. You have no Idea what he is suppose to be doing on each play. There are many different types of blocks that don't involve putting a guy on his back.

The only people that can truly decide if his effort is good or not good is his coaches. Because they are the only ones that know exactly what he is suppose to be doing on any particular play.

We still struggle.

OK you like Barney fine. My point is you say you won't go on dumping on his effort and then proceed to dump on his effort. You have no Idea what he is suppose to be doing on each play. There are many different types of blocks that don't involve putting a guy on his back.

The only people that can truly decide if his effort is good or not good is his coaches. Because they are the only ones that know exactly what he is suppose to be doing on any particular play.

No, I didn't say that.

Nope, I didn't say that either.

Nope I don't know his assignment each play but I'm gonna assume its the opponent he just high fived on the way past him.

I'm aware not all blocks will be pancake blocks, but I love your arrogance. As if I know nothing about play designs and blocking schemes.

Have you bothered to go back and watch or do you just like to argue with no knowledge of what you're arguing about?

If only coaches can decide these things then what the hell are we doing here? Millions of people around the world aren't coaches,met state their opinions on all sorts of sports related topics. I'll continue to state mine regardless of what you think.

I assume his his coaches weren't pleased. Doesn't mean he can't get better, doesn't mean he's a worthless human being. It means he needs to work harder and be coached a bit more so he can be consistently effective for this offense. With Cethan Carter's absence, I'm sure some of these errors were expected. I'd like to see him do better.

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg

Here is a link to the article:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-which-ncaa-football-teams-outplay-their-recruit-1640831522/+benes?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The article is dated October of this year, and includes data from the 2013 season, so It's pretty recent. Their methods are described in the article, and seem reasonable. The only thing I would change would be to adjust it for schedule strength, so the Navy's and Boise State's wouldn't seem so incredibly dominant, and the Power Conference schools would get a little more credit. Anyway, It's as good as any way to measure success.

• Fire 2

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-which-ncaa-football-teams-outplay-their-recruit-1640831522/+benes?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The article is dated October of this year, and includes data from the 2013 season, so It's pretty recent. Their methods are described in the article, and seem reasonable. The only thing I would change would be to adjust it for schedule strength, so the Navy's and Boise State's wouldn't seem so incredibly dominant, and the Power Conference schools would get a little more credit. Anyway, It's as good as any way to measure success.

So we are basically 20-30 on that chart? Also with us being directly on the line would that not mean that our recruiting ranking has ended up being nearly identical to our success on the field???

We still struggle.

He had a great block on one of the shorter TDs as well. Don't remember which one and I'm too lazy to look for it. You seem to just be looking for him to fail.

Nah. Just an observation. Maybe it just became more clear he was struggling when Price and Kondolo came in on the right side and performed so well.

As I said in my post, I'm not too down about it. We are 6-1 and looking good. Just really looking forward to that right side of the offensive line when we develop our TE talent a bit more. As I said, I'm sure losing the starter at the position, there was an expected drop off. I don't think I'm saying anything too outlandish, and I'm certainly not looking for him to fail. Quite the opposite, I've said multiple times I'd like to see more effort and better results. I expect it. Especially him being Cottons son.

The above post, pretty much contradicts the last two sentences a poster wrote in post #6.

Funny.

I came across a little harshly in my first post and didnt feel like keeping that going, other than that, not seeing how I contradicted anything. Your roundabout way of saying I contradicted myself cracks me up though.

I pm'd a mod to remove my comments anyway. After spotting 84 on the field as a slot reciever and also lined up in the backfield I started to consider the amount if snaps he took and on many of the plays he ran pretty far downfield. The kid was probably exhausted. I can't fault him for that. I just overreacted to some of his worse plays.

So we are basically 20-30 on that chart? Also with us being directly on the line would that not mean that our recruiting ranking has ended up being nearly identical to our success on the field???

We are #19 in both. So, in that sense, our on-field success mirrors our recruiting success, relatively speaking.

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg

This is a cool chart but should be taken with a grain of salt.

I find it funny that KU and CU appear to be great at recruiting, but it's a bit misleading. The chart only shows recruiting relative to winning, and vice versa. They only appear to be so much better at recruiting because they've sucked such epic donkey balls on the field. In reality they suck at recruiting too.

Likewise, teams like Boise and NIU appear to be great on the field (and have been, in recent history) but that ranking is inflated because they're so poor (relative to major college football powers) at recruiting.

Just an FYI type of thing.

v8oln0qsi9qkmfs3jg0d.jpg

This is a cool chart but should be taken with a grain of salt.

I find it funny that KU and CU appear to be great at recruiting, but it's a bit misleading. The chart only shows recruiting relative to winning, and vice versa. They only appear to be so much better at recruiting because they've sucked such epic donkey balls on the field. In reality they suck at recruiting too.

Likewise, teams like Boise and NIU appear to be great on the field (and have been, in recent history) but that ranking is inflated because they're so poor (relative to major college football powers) at recruiting.

Just an FYI type of thing.

I agree.

One major take-away from this chart for me, though, is that we tend to exaggerate Nebraska's "failures" in both recruiting and on-field performance. This chart reminds me that there are many many programs that would love to have our recruits and our coaches. We are still in shooting distance from championships most years.