As a 10 year old I yelled at Tom Osborne through the TV

Moiraine

I used to get pissed at TO for seemingly always running the option to the short side of the field. I later learned he did that because there were fewer defenders on that side of the field but, it still seemed a little counter productive.

knapplc told me it was to gas the strong side linebacker. Sometimes knapplc just says stuff, though.

I used to get pissed at TO for seemingly always running the option to the short side of the field. I later learned he did that because there were fewer defenders on that side of the field but, it still seemed a little counter productive.

Me too. I always heard there was logic to it, but to my eye it doomed more runs to little or no gain.

Always seems to be a method to the madness. I usually try to remember that when I see us throwing an option on 3rd and long 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and getting maybe 1 yard out of it.

for running the ball on 3rd and long. He did it all the time. I was glad when we finally got rid of that dude.

Better than throwing it with a two touchdown lead in the fourth.

Remember that time we ran it four consecutive plays right near the goal line, failed to score anything and injured our Heisman trophy candidate?

But then, who doesn't wince every time Beck insists on running the ball?

• Fire 2

Me too. I always heard there was logic to it, but to my eye it doomed more runs to little or no gain.

ive also heard that it was to draw hard pursuit to the sideline and created some awesome angles for blockers generating great cutback lanes. How many times did tommie, frost, andcrouch cut them short side options up through the teeth of the defense?

for running the ball on 3rd and long. He did it all the time. I was glad when we finally got rid of that dude.

Remember that time we ran it four consecutive plays right near the goal line, failed to score anything and injured our Heisman trophy candidate?

Ha! If you think I was praying for a pass in that situation you've got the wrong guy here. We did exactly what any team should and does do.

I was thrilled we ran it four times.

What was disappointing was:

1. No push by a Nebraska offensive line

2. Lined up in shotgun/pistol on goal line

3. Fumbled snap

4. No FB lead blocker

5. We didn't score.

• Fire 2

This is correct, there was always at least a half a man superiority running to the boundary. But, most defenses also treat the short side as another defender.

True, i really think youre thinking too hard about the pistol on the goal line. The pistol was invented cuz it shortened yhe distance the qb had to travel to get the ball to the qb, thus resulting in much quicker play development. Granted, if you time it its probably a fraction of a second, but in reality thats pretty significant. The thing about saturday is if our line doesnt just get completely blown up or tommy handles the snap, the pistol is the least of the worries. Watch them goal line struugles again and youll see that no formation would work on the goal line with our oline partaking in a pillow fight.

Ha! If you think I was praying for a pass in that situation you've got the wrong guy here. We did exactly what any team should and does do.

3. Fumbled snap

4. No FB lead blocker

5. We didn't score.

Lots to be proud of right there. LOL.

3. Fumbled snap

4. No FB lead blocker

5. We didn't score.

I could see pistol/shotgun if there was 4-5 yards to go, but 4th and inches? Line up under center and let your RB start running downhill as soon as the ball is snapped -or- QB sneek.

This isn't "hindsight is 20/20" stuff, this is football 101 stuff.

• Fire 2