McKewon: NU offense not built for B1G Novembers; Bo’s defense stops pass, but not Badgers

This assessment by McKewon is so damn good.

It's probably the most concise way to sum up the issues on both sides of the ball.

Only thing I'd add - in seven years, we've yet to recruit an above average QB. Add that to McKewon's quote above in the OP, and that's about the sum total of it.

Armstrong was considered one of the nation’s top dual-threat quarterbacks after leading Cibolo Steele High School to the Class 5A state championship....

It's probably the most concise way to sum up the issues on both sides of the ball.

Only thing I'd add - in seven years, we've yet to recruit an above average QB. Add that to McKewon's quote above in the OP, and that's about the sum total of it.

Armstrong was considered one of the nation’s top dual-threat quarterbacks after leading Cibolo Steele High School to the Class 5A state championship....

WTF is a 'dual-threat' QB?!?

I'm sick of seeing and hearing that term.

A QUARTERBACK can hit simple passes (if given time). A QUARTERBACK is expected to read a defense. A QUARTERBACK is supposed to make good decisions with the football, eliminate turnovers.

Don't give me that 'dual-threat' QB crap. Tommy is a QUARTERBACK. Call him as such.

One of the best QBs that ever played here (in my opinion) that gets ZERO love? My guy Zac Taylor.

To me, the last true QB. Ganz lit it up too, but he was also loose with the football at times.

But I digress.....

All of this, from Tommy, to Taylor, to Joe, to Zac....they're all only efficient and disciplined as quarterbacks IF THEIR COACHING STAFF IS SUCH.

A QUARTERBACK can hit simple passes (if given time). A QUARTERBACK is expected to read a defense. A QUARTERBACK is supposed to make good decisions with the football, eliminate turnovers.

Don't give me that 'dual-threat' QB crap. Tommy is a QUARTERBACK. Call him as such.

One of the best QBs that ever played here (in my opinion) that gets ZERO love? My guy Zac Taylor.

To me, the last true QB. Ganz lit it up too, but he was also loose with the football at times.

But I digress.....

All of this, from Tommy, to Taylor, to Joe, to Zac....they're all only efficient and disciplined as quarterbacks IF THEIR COACHING STAFF IS SUCH.

For the record. The recruiting sites have the QB's divided between Pro Style and Dual Threat. But I agree with your assessment of what Tommy is not doing as a QB of any designation.

But I digress.....

Not trying to imply anything other than Armstrong was highly thought of before coming here. If he were put in a position to succeed he would be a good QB, but like you said after your rant, it's all on our staff that he is not put in a position to do so.

For the record....

I'm not trying or attempting to tear down or be overly critical of Tommy. First, he's just a sophomore, and I do think he does throw a beautiful deep ball (when he's actually throwing it to our players, LOL).

Tommy has swag, don't get me wrong. I believe that if properly molded, he'll be one hell of a QB.

But - the molding isn't happening under this staff. Hell, look at who Tommy was mentored by:

(http://btn.com/2014/05/20/nebraska-qb-tommy-armstrong-mentored-by-brett-favre/)

Farve? As in throw across his body and get picked off to keep his team out of the Super Bowl Farve? No wonder Tommy is doing what he's doing, LOL But I digress....again....

For example - look at the Buckeyes. Their freaking HEISMAN TROPHY CANDIDATE QB is done for the season. True freshman, third stringer J.T. Barrett comes in. Has a few questionable games, loses to Va Tech (on his O line, they were turrible - yes, Barkley turrible, lol). All this on a still healing wheel (which he tore up in High school).

Urban doesn't panic. He makes a few adjustments, tweaks some things.

Now Barrett is in the Heisman hunt and tOSU is playing lights out ball. That's coaching (and desire on the part of the player).

• Fire 1

Any coincidence that TMart was BETTER as a freshman and went south............and Tommie was BETTER last year and has seemingly regressed....??

If TMart's wheel was ever healed, I think it may have been different for him. Can't argue that the young man worked tirelessly to improve his passing mechanics in the offseason between his sophomore and junior years.

As far as Tommy - remember - he shared time last year with Kellogg too. And there were some times last year where he was benched.

For the record....

I'm not trying or attempting to tear down or be overly critical of Tommy. First, he's just a sophomore, and I do think he does throw a beautiful deep ball (when he's actually throwing it to our players, LOL).

Tommy has swag, don't get me wrong. I believe that if properly molded, he'll be one hell of a QB.

But - the molding isn't happening under this staff. Hell, look at who Tommy was mentored by:

(http://btn.com/2014/05/20/nebraska-qb-tommy-armstrong-mentored-by-brett-favre/)

Farve? As in throw across his body and get picked off to keep his team out of the Super Bowl Farve? No wonder Tommy is doing what he's doing, LOL But I digress....again....

For example - look at the Buckeyes. Their freaking HEISMAN TROPHY CANDIDATE QB is done for the season. True freshman, third stringer J.T. Barrett comes in. Has a few questionable games, loses to Va Tech (on his O line, they were turrible - yes, Barkley turrible, lol). All this on a still healing wheel (which he tore up in High school).

Urban doesn't panic. He makes a few adjustments, tweaks some things.

Now Barrett is in the Heisman hunt and tOSU is playing lights out ball. That's coaching (and desire on the part of the player).

This^. It's not that Tommy is a bad QB, It's that the ones coaching him are bad. I would bet a lot of money if Tommy and J.T. Barrett were to switch schools we'd be seeing the same results. Does everyone think tOSU and a bunch of other schools just get lucky with consistent QB performers while we can't even stumble across one! It has everything to do with development........which is not happening at NU.

Any coincidence that TMart was BETTER as a freshman and went south............and Tommie was BETTER last year and has seemingly regressed....??

If TMart's wheel was ever healed, I think it may have been different for him. Can't argue that the young man worked tirelessly to improve his passing mechanics in the offseason between his sophomore and junior years.

As far as Tommy - remember - he shared time last year with Kellogg too. And there were some times last year where he was benched.

Those are valid points. I'm just throwing out some various factors.....i.e. no designated QB coach; the fact that he is durable but not exceptionally fast; certainly not quick; that he seems to rumble along without accelerating;..............not that he couldn't improve on some of that with coaching emphasis, and mainly that Beck doesn't seem to call plays to his strength...........i.e. true option. (or that against Whisky he seemed predetermined to hold rather than read often times on the read-option).

For whatever reason, Saturday he seemed devoid of confidence.

I really think TO's parting gift to Bo was getting us into the B1G. Most everyone put on their happy face when we first joined, but a few of us tried to remind everyone the B1G is still the same conference we've been making fun of for the past decade. The Urban Meyer hire by Ohio State is really the only thing done in the past 10-15 years to give this conference any credibility.

LOL, B1G fans were making fun of the Big 12 over the same period. I remember reading some on this board thinking Nebraska would dominate the B1G but that didn't happen.

I think it has to do with opposing teams getting enough film on a new QB to put together a good game plan against him. If you're a one dimensional QB, if you can't go through your progressions, if you have no touch on short to medium range passes, teams will eventually identify your weaknesses.

I think it has to do with opposing teams getting enough film on a new QB to put together a good game plan against him. If you're a one dimensional QB, if you can't go through your progressions, if you have no touch on short to medium range passes, teams will eventually identify your weaknesses.

And then the question becomes, does our staff recognize the short comings of their own players knowing opposing teams will surely find them out? And do they do anything to fix or adapt the game plan to these short comings? At most other schools the answer is yes, at Nebraska we just continue to under develope and ram square pegs into round holes.