The National Media Takes it's Turn on Pelini.

NUpolo8

So, the common narrative round these parts that are reticent to a change goes something like "you can't fire a 9 win coach". Often, this is followed with a "this isn't the 90's anymore".

Fortunately, this article covers both bases in assessing where we are in the Bo Pelini era.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/111092/old-debate-hard-decisions-face-nebraska

Notable quotables:

As the drama progresses, inevitably, a big-name coach or commentator will issue this advice to the Pelini detractors:

Be careful for what you wish. Dozens of programs with more natural advantages than Nebraska would gladly trade spots with the Huskers, who need one victory to reach the nine-win plateau for the seventh time in seven seasons under Pelini. Dont take for granted such success, says the narrative, and, oh, stop living in the 1990s. Your days of dominating college football are gone and never coming back.

Such an argument is comically out of touch with reality at Nebraska, where repeated embarrassments in meaningful moments are threatening to steal the soul from a proud program and its passionate fans.

I think it's past time that argument gets a slug between the ears here. Here's a Espn writer saying that's garbage.

Consider,

Next will come the calls for Pelini to revamp his coaching staff. Major change is unlikely. Pelini showed last year he would rather be fired than disassemble the group around him.

We can put the lame "he has to clean house on his assistants" to bed too.

And one last one:

Nebraska is inching closer to that tipping point, where the school and the fans, who ultimately pay Pelinis salary, demand some attention paid to the big picture over the comfort of another nine-win season.

It's really unfortunate we have a coach who hates the big picture and falls back on the #9wins, then.

This also shows the crapstorm that ensued when Solich was axed isn't coming when Bo leaves. It seems they're wondering what took so long.

• Fire 2

My guess this weekend will be the make or break. A lot of die hard fans have been swayed. That would indicate the fan base in general has the same feeling.. If Bo has another bad game on TV with Nebraska fan leaving early, booing, signs in the crowd, I do not see him surviving. I see Bo, calling it quits. I see our moronic side of the fan base attacking his family on a daily basis (not physically, but verbally) We have a track record on that type of stuff. Bo is a proud man, he would not put up with it for long.

Sorry, not putting the "change coordinators" bit to bed. It's a valid option. However, I don't believe he'll do it willingly. And if he's forced and walks, then so be it.

Edit - It's also pretty funny how ESPN can be taken seriously when it agrees with the poster using them as a source, but they're ridiculous and not worthy of any attention when it disagrees with the poster. Love it.

• Fire 1

Sorry, not putting the "change coordinators" bit to bed. It's a valid option. However, I don't believe he'll do it willingly. And if he's forced and walks, then so be it.

He's a fiery individual. You can't tamp that passion down - he won't. And because of that, he's not head coaching material.

People were comparing him to Devaney when he first got here. But....Devaney had a .750 winning percentage at Wyoming BEFORE he came here.

Devaney also got a pay raise his second season he was here because he WON the Big8.

Winning championships cures ills, folks.

My guess this weekend will be the make or break. A lot of die hard fans have been swayed. That would indicate the fan base in general has the same feeling.. If Bo has another bad game on TV with Nebraska fan leaving early, booing, signs in the crowd, I do not see him surviving. I see Bo, calling it quits. I see our moronic side of the fan base attacking his family on a daily basis (not physically, but verbally) We have a track record on that type of stuff. Bo is a proud man, he would not put up with it for long.

If the sellout streak ends, his job will end. Again, just ask Dave Brandon in Ann Arbor.

I see our moronic side of the fan base attacking his family on a daily basis (not physically, but verbally) We have a track record on that type of stuff. Bo is a proud man, he would not put up with it for long.

I want Bo gone, but I worry about this behavior happening as well. I knew Steve Pederson's daughter in college and the way some people treated her was absolutely disgraceful. It takes a true loser to attack a man's family. I really, really hope that doesn't happen to Bo and his family.

Loyalty is one thing but it needs to be placed in the right place. Pelini's loyalty needs to be to the Football Program, the University and the donors and fans who support the Football Team. Loyalty to his assistants can only go so far before it becomes detrimental to the program. You don't need yes men and pals who are fun to work with, especially if they are holding back the progress of the team. Beck's resume will get him a decent job. Pap will probably have to move down a division or two and then build from there. The rest of the ones who need to go, OC, OL, S&C and any others can fend for themselves.

Pelini needs to hire an OC and DC who are strong in their own right and not afraid to disagree with him. Otherwise he can pack his bags and go look for a DC job.

T_O_B

He's a fiery individual. You can't tamp that passion down - he won't. And because of that, he's not head coaching material.

People were comparing him to Devaney when he first got here. But....Devaney had a .750 winning percentage at Wyoming BEFORE he came here.

Devaney also got a pay raise his second season he was here because he WON the Big8.

Winning championships cures ills, folks.

Bob Devaney's first play as the head coach at the University of Nebraska was a pass. Memorial Stadium gave him a standing ovation.

But his willingness to pass on first down would certainly kill his chances today among a lot of HuskerBoarders.

• Fire 1