USA Today takes its turn: NU #1 on misery index

This whole thing may be a lot easier than first thought. USA Today not going with a crazy to fire a 9-win coach story but actually picking up the narrative of how the accumulation of these last 7 years is just not measuring up. Heck, this is pretty much written for us already and the message we'd give.

Thank you Coach Pelini.

Good coach, helped us turn program in right direction.

However, not able to reach level where we expect to be (Championships).

Not able to win games of significance (predictable drubbings by ranked opponents).

College football is more competitive than ever...other programs have been beating us on the field, in recruiting, and in the rankings.

So, now we are introducing the next head coach...

Wow, easy peazy. :)

To think that anyone in charge now would cowtow to the wishes of a retired man, regardless of who is in the wake of real money disappearing is clinging to bygone age.

So Osborne is a legend when you want him to be and something else if he's potentially a roadblock to your ire.

Its not his program anymore. Will they consult him, probably. Will he be the one make the choice, I hope not, as much as I respect the man he is no longer the AD, SE needs to own this, it will define his tenure at Nebraska, good or bad.

To think that anyone in charge now would cowtow to the wishes of a retired man, regardless of who is in the wake of real money disappearing is clinging to bygone age.

So Osborne is a legend when you want him to be and something else if he's potentially a roadblock to your ire.
He's a legend. He also is retired. He also will have no say in whether Bo is retained or not.
  • Fire 1

He's a legend. He also is retired. He also will have no say in whether Bo is retained or not.

Polo, I agree with you on moving on. However, this is just not true. He won't have direct influence, but the BOR will ask for his input and will respect it. So will Eichorst. A major decision with the direction of the football program at stake will go through Tom. He won't be the final decision maker, but he will hold heavy influence. Especially on Howard Hawks and the other boosters.

Polo, I agree with you on moving on. However, this is just not true. He won't have direct influence, but the BOR will ask for his input and will respect it. So will Eichorst. A major decision with the direction of the football program at stake will go through Tom. He won't be the final decision maker, but he will hold heavy influence. Especially on Howard Hawks and the other boosters.

He swung his stick last year. The time has passed. Again, he is a legend, but anyone who wants 341 consecutive sellouts should realize that things go beyond Osborne hoping his last football hire succeeds.

I'd count Eichorst as one of those people

I agree with this and it wouldn't be very smart to not at least consult the man.

I do hope, however, that no one makes him take the stage and provide public input or quotes or whatever. For his sake: let the man enjoy his retirement and let NU turn the page by way of force so he can enjoy some of his retirement.

This is sad, but if he's put on the spotlight, I can just hear someone like Lee asking: So, Tom, what do you think in hindsight about choosing Bo as BCs replacement? SMH. How do you even answer that without lashing out? Tom would be cordial about it...but still. Don't even put him in that position.

I love Dr. Tom, but he's not very good at picking out a HC.

that was my thought as well. he is too invested with pelini as he picked him. and while i will defend solich, his track record is not great in this area.

plus, we need a firm to do our searching. and our decision to keep bo should be made by the abundance of data.

national media, local media and 80% of the fan base pushing for Bo's removal with a long list of varying reasons. still fans that are convinced you can't fire a 9 win coach because no one comes to a school that fires a 9 win coach. just. don't. get. it.

This crowd is either all but gone and switched sides - OR - has agreed that there's no point in arguing any longer. I'm in the former. It's gone pretty quiet with that argument.

It's really, REALLY tough to argue that making a change at HC isn't the best decision to make at this point.

" Last year? Nebraska didn't beat anyone with a pulse until it survived, 24-19, against a beat-up Georgia team in the Gator Bowl."

i still think that's another biased SEC sentence if i've ever seen one!! Had Georgia won last year it would've read something like, 'a healthy Nebraska team gets drubbed again by the same SEC opponent plagued with injuries all season'.. blah, blah, blah

it's spin city with these writers!!

Or how about.. if georgia had beaten Miami this year, 'georgia beats surging canes'....

" Last year? Nebraska didn't beat anyone with a pulse until it survived, 24-19, against a beat-up Georgia team in the Gator Bowl."

i still think that's another biased SEC sentence if i've ever seen one!! Had Georgia won last year it would've read something like, 'a healthy Nebraska team gets drubbed again by the same SEC opponent plagued with injuries all season'.. blah, blah, blah

it's spin city with these writers!!

Or how about.. if georgia had beaten Miami this year, 'georgia beats surging canes'....

In all fairness our team had its share of injuries too.