Your Bo Pelini Argument is Invalid

NUpolo8

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail! Is it possible that if we stick with Bo that he could be as good as Osborne? I know!!! Comparing Bo to doctor Tom is insane right because Osborne is a legend and one of the greatest coaches ever. Then why do you guys seem to think you know more about how to run the football program than he does?

Saban was only at MSU from 95-99 before he was hired at LSU.

Ever wonder why someone isn't hiring Pelini away from Nebraska?

You can check the board from a few years ago, but wasn't Miami sniffing around which made a lot of fans nervous?

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail! Is it possible that if we stick with Bo that he could be as good as Osborne? I know!!! Comparing Bo to doctor Tom is insane right because Osborne is a legend and one of the greatest coaches ever. Then why do you guys seem to think you know more about how to run the football program than he does?

Saban was only at MSU from 95-99 before he was hired at LSU.

Ever wonder why someone isn't hiring Pelini away from Nebraska?

You can check the board from a few years ago, but wasn't Miami sniffing around which made a lot of fans nervous?

They were. They chose to hire someone else.

History is not on the side of TO with regards to running the football program when he's not the one doing it. When TO retired, $ Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. TO pulled rank which got us Solich. After the Clownahan debacle, TO was brought in as AD. His short list consisted of Jim Grobe, Turner Gill, and Bo Pelini. Obviously, he chose the best of the three considering Wake Forest fired Grobe and Kansas fired Gill. However, the short list consisted of crap. I'm going to be very disappointed if TO is in any way involved in our next coaching search. History has shown it to be a very bad idea.

Our next coach might be our Brady Hoke or Derek Dooley.

Which would mean years of dark ahead. But in the long run, that's okay, right? You keep moving on until you find the guy.

Unless Bo drops a huge win on Iowa Friday, how can you say with confidence that Bo looks like the right guy?

History shows that the next coach will be:

Ex-NFL, Fired Raiders Coach Dennis Allen. (Newly hired AD the year before a fired coach who got 9 wins regularly, goes on and hires a fired NFL coach...)

As someone who isn't ANTI-BO nor PRO-BO and EXTREMELY PRO-HUSKERS (we all are).

Here is a legit question:

If you want Bo gone, are you prepared to go 5-7 this next year? Because that is a very very very good possibility. It's not a given, but it's definitely a bigger possibility than being conference champs next year.

If want Bo to stay here, are you prepared to be seen as a team similar to what Iowa is? A pretty good team, but never a real threat?

I'm not willing to do either right now. But I will say this: GBR!

• Fire 1

If you want Bo gone, are you prepared to go 5-7 this next year? Because that is a very very very good possibility. It's not a given, but it's definitely a bigger possibility than being conference champs next year.

If want Bo to stay here, are you prepared to be seen as a team similar to what Iowa is? A pretty good team, but never a real threat?

I'm not willing to do either right now. But I will say this: GBR!

You have not looked at next years schedule. We aren't playing 6 ranked teams. We aren't going 5-7. 7-5 would be a stretch w/ the schedule. We'll likely be playing 1, maybe 2. It's not a given - as midway through this season people were pointing to the schedule to make their case there there was NO WAY Bo could lose 4 this season...and not it looks like a very real and likely possibility.

If you want Bo gone, are you prepared to go 5-7 this next year?

I don't know if that's a possibility, but 7 or 8 wins definitely is. Which is why I think you can't fire Bo if he beats Iowa, even if that would be the best move -- it places the next coach in a lousy situation.

Emotions fade. Fans are angry right now, but if we lose 5 games next year then 2014 will transform in their memory as "Sure, there was a bad loss, but all 3 losses were to ranked teams and two of them were close." That's hardly unfair to say, even.

So that's why I think if we go 8-4 Bo can be fired without much issue, but it'd be really tough at 9-3. If Bo is going to get fired, it's best that he emphatically demonstrates deserving it first, in a way that can stand the test of time.

• Fire 1

I don't know if that's a possibility, but 7 or 8 wins definitely is. Which is why I think you can't fire Bo if he beats Iowa, even if that would be the best move -- it places the next coach in a lousy situation.

Emotions fade. Fans are angry right now, but if we lose 5 games next year then 2014 will transform in their memory as "Sure, there was a bad loss, but all 3 losses were to ranked teams and two of them were close." That's hardly unfair to say, even.

So that's why I think if we go 8-4 Bo can be fired without much issue, but it'd be really tough at 9-3. If Bo is going to get fired, it's best that he emphatically demonstrates deserving it first, in a way that can stand the test of time.

Exactly the opposite IMO. The next guy is in a perfect situation to grab 9 wins off an easy schedule for the next 2 years before we pick up OSU/Penn State, etc in years 3, 4 and 5 of his tenure. Waiting any longer just makes it that more difficult to transition. Bo is winning 9 next year too. And he'll win 9 the year after that. Most coaches would w/ that schedule as it currently stands. Lets not prolong this and make it more difficult on the next guy.

Zoogie ya still believe don't ya, ya just can't let him go can ya? Look at Oklahoma when they had they dark yrs after switzer,, they kept hirin and firin till they got Bob and they they are still up there lookin down at the putrid hasbin we have become

Exactly the opposite IMO. The next guy is in a perfect situation to grab 9 wins off an easy schedule for the next 2 years before we pick up OSU/Penn State, etc in years 3, 4 and 5 of his tenure. Waiting any longer just makes it that more difficult to transition. Bo is winning 9 next year too. And he'll win 9 the year after that. Most coaches would w/ that schedule as it currently stands. Lets not prolong this and make it more difficult on the next guy.

we already missed giving a new coach an easy schedule this year. this is not a mistake we should repeat.

The bold is probably true regardless of whether Bo is the head coach next year.

Nah, there's plenty of talent on both sides of the ball to win more than that next year. Looking at the 2015 schedule, there's 5 gimmies, IMO. That leaves "toss ups" of BYU, @ Miami, Wisconsin, Northwestern, @ Minnesota, MSU, and @ Iowa. I have a hard time thinking any coach here would go 0-7 against that. A new coach has to at minimum go 7-5. We're a stagnant team, not a total dumpster fire.

If he only won 7, isn't that understandable? It'd be the first year of a new program, with recruiting ground to make up, in a locker full of players devoted to the old coach and with part of the fanbase like that, too. What will we have at QB? We don't know.

I agree that Bo is probably winning 9 next year, too. It's hard to cheer for that scenario if he's not going to get us over the hump. But I also don't want to lose to Iowa.

I guess my point is this: if Bo is a bad coach, *one* of these years, he's going to lose enough games to finally run out of leash. Nebraska and all its resources will still be here. We recovered from Solich's recruiting, we'll be more than able to 'recover' from the current status quo. I'm as disappointed as anyone in passing on the chance to fire him last year, but it only makes sense to do it at a similarly right time.

For example, Pederson made the right move in firing Solich in 2003, but because he passed on it in 2002, how is that perceived in hindsight by a lot of people? Even if those people are wrong, that's not a scenario I look forward to recreating.

So I really think Bo has to lose to Iowa this year. Or at least put up a lackluster show of things.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but Bo just said this a second ago in the Monday morning presser?

"Eric...I don't want to go into this. But would I fire a guy to save my own job? No. Would I fire a guy who deserved firing? Yes."

Hmmmm.

The more I think about that comment, the more confused I get. Like, at a first youre like "well that's cool. makes sense". Then you read it a couple times, and youre like "what the hell does that mean?"

• Fire 1

When 2004 came rolling around, I never EVER thought there was a chance of us losing to Southern Miss.

To this day, I still am in disbelief that it happened.

Believe me when I say this, I know the HUGE fault of that season was on a QB (Joe Dailey) who did not have the accuracy nor the understanding truly needed for the offense that Callahan implemented. Dailey may have been perfect for the type of offense he was recruited for, but he was completely lost in the offense that was in front of him. The fact he tried running the football into the end zone at the end of the Southern Miss game, you knew he wasn't the right guy.

But regardless, it happened. We lost to a team that went 6-5 in the regular season. No way in hell did I imagine us losing that game. But it happened.

I get it, I know our schedule. There's 5 gimmies, but we don't know who we're gonna hire. Does anyone know Eichorst enough to trust this guy hiring someone quality? Or just someone who had success in the NFL? WE DON'T KNOW.

So until I know what happens next. That 5-7 record is very much a possibility. NOT LIKELY, it'd be a failure. It's still a possibility.