Your Bo Pelini Argument is Invalid

NUpolo8

We as a fan base have to get out of this 9 win is great attitude. 9 wins with victories over tough, ranked teams occasionally is great, I could live with that for eternity to be honest. I am not that upset about the Minnesota game. We got beat, plain and simple. Kids played hard, did not quit. Now did they play to their capabilities, that is the question. Are they ham strung by coaching, techniques or attitude.

If you are actually happy with 9 wins the level Bo delivers, you have settled, not looking to the future.

Watching Iowa play against Wisconsin, I saw a pretty good team, capable of making adjustments, stopping the run and overall head in the game. If they play like at home Friday, we will be looking at the magic number 4. No wins against a ranked team, near loss to McNeese State and the bar of average has been attained again. WE Won a lot of games. Yes you did. Teams we need to beat, pretty much never happens.

Quality of play, development, management below average, wins from an easy schedule and a terrible conference. We would not have the 9 wins if this team or the past four were playing in the Big 12.

i think whats interesting, is thats sorta what we had in the big 12. The downside to that was we would drop one or two to a team like Iowa St. But no doubt the first couple years were better with Bo and I think it is for a number of reasons, but one was we were competetive with good teams

We as a fan base have to get out of this 9 win is great attitude.

There's practically nobody that is saying this.

Zoogies is saying exactly that. A new coach would not be universally accepted and therefore we need Bo to lose more than 3 regular season games in order to fire him. 8 is the #.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. 9 wins is great. All hail 9 wins.

;)

• Fire 1

Yes, that's exactly what I said. 9 wins is great. All hail 9 wins.

;)

But you're saying it's good enough, and it obviously isn't or we wouldn't have 80+% of members wanting him gone. How bad does it have to get? And does it really have to be that bad before a decision is made? Does the next guy have to have the excuse that's he's coming into a dumpster fire in order for him to be successful?

Well, it depends on what happens on Friday. 80% of members will not want him gone if we trounce Iowa. Just like very few wanted him gone before Wisconsin. A lot can change in a single game.

I'm not saying it's good enough in perpetuity. Just that this season, if we beat Iowa and especially if we beat them well, the case for firing isn't a strong one.

It also depends on who's coming in. If Nick Saban were going to come in, I'd welcome that yesterday. I'd like to see Tressel here if it's not too late for that, I think that'd be the best thing for this program. But if we're going to roll the dice on a Colorado State guy or lower division guy or something like that, the kind of young promising coach that will be there for us to get ANY year, then yeah, I think things need to have legitimately fallen apart here first.

TheSker. Are you still defending Bo? Or are you just simply hinting at what will happen? Do you have surefire evidence? Can you add something to the discussion other than your snide remarks like "bo aint gettin fired" that and "osborne" this. Its gettin old. It was gettin old when i myself blindly defended bo. Offer up your reasoning. Explain to us in any way shape or form that the retention of Bo pelini as head football coach wont result in a complete crumbling of the Nebraska football culture from the inside out.

Easy guy.....not necessary. To answer your questions.....I'm fine if the decision makers retain Pelini. I do not like the brand of football currently being played, especially on offense. Evidence of what? I have no evidence of anything, but the actual decision is made by a very small number of people. And yes, those people are heavily influenced by Tom Osborne.

You have problem with the off and NOT the D ??? Do you watch the games ??? If we had any type of a defense...oh skrew it. Not wasting my time.

If we beat Iowa soundly, I still believe 70% or more will be. Look at Count, or QMany, or Saunders, or BigRedBuster who were very much on Pelini's side prior to MSU/Wisconsin/Minnesota games. I don't think you're getting those guys and the multitude of fans exactly like them back with a win over Iowa...which used to be regarded as a win before the season even started.

I also don't think we are able to fully know who is available until after the decision has been made. Virtually every solid candidate out there is secured in a position and will not reach out or show true interest in a position that is currently filled by a peer. The only coaches willing to share their interest in transition are likely people with a current relationship to the AD or a booster - and that is a small pool of the candidates we'd be evaluating. To perform a proper search we're going to have to pull the plug.

Wisconsin was Bo's second chance to prove relevance after losing to MSU.

That could not have gone further in the opposite direction.

He then had a chance to rally his team against a (low) ranked team in the season finale at Memorial Stadium.

Turns out Jerry Kill's team wanted it more.

An Iowa win would be great for the players, but demonstrates absolutely no promise of a better future under Bo Pelini.

The "light bulb" possibility should be put to rest.

Nebraska's defense started leaving its corners wide open around 2010. Lumbering quarterbacks could get to the first down sticks untouched. Good running backs could set NCAA records. On key plays, Husker defenders often surrendered position before the ball was even snapped.

Pretty soon in-game commentators were saying aloud "what is Nebraska thinking?" Former Blackshirts started saying the same thing. Opposing offenses didn't understand why Nebraska refused to adjust either, but they were happy to exploit it. One QB said it was like playing a high-school team.

We weren't making adjustments in-game. Or in-season. Or between seasons. The light bulb didn't pop on after this year's Wisconsin debacle, either. The same corner was left wide-open against Minnesota, and the commentators were again wondering aloud how Nebraska could possibly have missed the previous week's wake-up call.

I don't think we'll ever get an answer from Bo Pelini.

Nit-picking.

There were adjustments, actually brought up Gerry in the box for run support vs Minny a couple times and kept Josh Mitchell out on the edge to contain that edge. One play, Josh went for the RB and Gerry got caught in the middle going for RB too. QB was left to just run to the sideline. Got a considerable gain.

A couple series' later, same formation, same play. Gerry lined up in the box, Mitchell on the edge. This time, Mitchell went right to the RB, and Gerry went straight to the QB. Gerry contained him and kept him from gaining more than a yard. Exactly the type of adjustment those guys needed to make, and they made it. But it wasn't consistent. It was actually a good adjustment. I remember because I knew what was coming, and was going to be pissed if they didn't catch it this time. They actually did, that time...

Anyway, not necessarily a PRO-BO post, just a post about what I saw on the field and noticing adjustments in game. There's been numerous I have seen throughout the season, but that's freshest in my mind.

Regardless, there are issues. Minnesota didn't do anything special. No trickery, no great play by anyone in particular. They just lined up and plain played better. They didn't make any mistakes. We did and we got beat up front on just about every play. Just like last year, they just played their game, and made plays when they needed to. We didn't.

If you want Bo gone, are you prepared to go 5-7 this next year? Because that is a very very very good possibility. It's not a given, but it's definitely a bigger possibility than being conference champs next year.

The bold is probably true regardless of whether Bo is the head coach next year.

Nah, there's plenty of talent on both sides of the ball to win more than that next year. Looking at the 2015 schedule, there's 5 gimmies, IMO. That leaves "toss ups" of BYU, @ Miami, Wisconsin, Northwestern, @ Minnesota, MSU, and @ Iowa. I have a hard time thinking any coach here would go 0-7 against that. A new coach has to at minimum go 7-5. We're a stagnant team, not a total dumpster fire.

I wasn't saying that we are likely to go 5-7. I was just saying that if Bo is the coach that is more likely (although still unlikely) than winning the conference.

I don't think that's very likely either. Bo isn't a "bad" coach. He's just not good/great.

If we beat Iowa soundly, I still believe 70% or more will be. Look at Count, or QMany, or Saunders, or BigRedBuster who were very much on Pelini's side prior to MSU/Wisconsin/Minnesota games. I don't think you're getting those guys and the multitude of fans exactly like them back with a win over Iowa...which used to be regarded as a win before the season even started.

I also don't think we are able to fully know who is available until after the decision has been made. Virtually every solid candidate out there is secured in a position and will not reach out or show true interest in a position that is currently filled by a peer. The only coaches willing to share their interest in transition are likely people with a current relationship to the AD or a booster - and that is a small pool of the candidates we'd be evaluating. To perform a proper search we're going to have to pull the plug.

Yup. After the "Powers That Be" decided another year was in the cards, I stepped back and gave my support for 2014. MSU was a tough loss, but there was the hope of it being an off game. Then we slogged through Rutgers and Purdue, got pantsed by Wisconsin, and lost at home on Senior day... to Minnesota.

I'm a lenient person, and like to give people every opportunity to prove themselves, but it's over. If we come out and win 56-0 on Friday, that just tells me that Iowa really sucks, not that we're any good.

I fully expect us to lose by 10-14, and it will be the final nail in the coffin.

We as a fan base have to get out of this 9 win is great attitude.

There's practically nobody that is saying this.

I'd be happy with a 9 win season every year.....IF........there was only 10/11 games a year.
+1. 9 wins would be perfectly acceptable if there were 11-12 games a year. This is a great point when people try to compare Osborne vs. Pelini on a number of wins through the years. It drives me absolutely crazy because they throw out a stat and then neglect a more important one - winning percentage. 81% or 75% is a hell of a lot better than 69%.