Your Bo Pelini Argument is Invalid

NUpolo8

Have any of you guys taken a look at Saban's record at Michigan state? You would have run him out on a rail! Is it possible that if we stick with Bo that he could be as good as Osborne? I know!!! Comparing Bo to doctor Tom is insane right because Osborne is a legend and one of the greatest coaches ever. Then why do you guys seem to think you know more about how to run the football program than he does?

Saban was only at MSU from 95-99 before he was hired at LSU.

Ever wonder why someone isn't hiring Pelini away from Nebraska?

Pretty sure MSU was under some sanctions at that time too. Pretty impressive resume from Saban at MSU, all things considered. You could see the gradual improvement. Here, with Bo, we aren't improving at all.

When 2004 came rolling around, I never EVER thought there was a chance of us losing to Southern Miss.

To this day, I still am in disbelief that it happened.

Believe me when I say this, I know the HUGE fault of that season was on a QB (Joe Dailey) who did not have the accuracy nor the understanding truly needed for the offense that Callahan implemented. Dailey may have been perfect for the type of offense he was recruited for, but he was completely lost in the offense that was in front of him. The fact he tried running the football into the end zone at the end of the Southern Miss game, you knew he wasn't the right guy.

But regardless, it happened. We lost to a team that went 6-5 in the regular season. No way in hell did I imagine us losing that game. But it happened.

I get it, I know our schedule. There's 5 gimmies, but we don't know who we're gonna hire. Does anyone know Eichorst enough to trust this guy hiring someone quality? Or just someone who had success in the NFL? WE DON'T KNOW.

So until I know what happens next. That 5-7 record is very much a possibility. NOT LIKELY, it'd be a failure. It's still a possibility.

Well there is a possibility we win 2 games next and a possibility we go undefeated so talking about possibilities is silly with a new coach. What should be discussed is what is probable and reasonable given the talent on the roster. IMO it would be reseasonable to win 8-9 games next year given the opposing schedule v. the talent level of our returning players

The more I think about that comment, the more confused I get. Like, at a first youre like "well that's cool. makes sense". Then you read it a couple times, and youre like "what the hell does that mean?"

I know. But I do really think it confirms what most of us have thought for a couple years - he's entrenched in his buddy system, and it isn't gonna change.

He claimed that he has changed things in this presser. He hasn't, and he won't.

For example, Pederson made the right move in firing Solich in 2003, but because he passed on it in 2002, how is that perceived in hindsight by a lot of people? Even if those people are wrong, that's not a scenario I look forward to recreating.

So I really think Bo has to lose to Iowa this year. Or at least put up a lackluster show of things.

Which, again is why I think now is the time. SE passed on it last year, and at the time (and through most of this season) I thought he'd squandered the only opportunity he was going to have to make a change. This schedule was set up for 10 regular season wins with a mediocre showing by the team. So is next season, and the season after that. Both of which I could easily see Bo finishing 9-3...it's pretty likely actually, or 10-2 (just as likely)

Bo has given him an opportunity this year none of us saw coming. I'm not sure it will happen again. If he's going to make a change, it's as good of a time as he's ever going to get. If we go 9-3 next season in similar style, it becomes even more possible that SE will be joining Bo on the way out for missing 2 opportunities in 2 years to right the ship.

If you want Bo gone, are you prepared to go 5-7 this next year? Because that is a very very very good possibility. It's not a given, but it's definitely a bigger possibility than being conference champs next year.

The bold is probably true regardless of whether Bo is the head coach next year.

Nah, there's plenty of talent on both sides of the ball to win more than that next year. Looking at the 2015 schedule, there's 5 gimmies, IMO. That leaves "toss ups" of BYU, @ Miami, Wisconsin, Northwestern, @ Minnesota, MSU, and @ Iowa. I have a hard time thinking any coach here would go 0-7 against that. A new coach has to at minimum go 7-5. We're a stagnant team, not a total dumpster fire.

I wasn't saying that we are likely to go 5-7. I was just saying that if Bo is the coach that is more likely (although still unlikely) than winning the conference.

When 2004 came rolling around, I never EVER thought there was a chance of us losing to Southern Miss.

To this day, I still am in disbelief that it happened.

Believe me when I say this, I know the HUGE fault of that season was on a QB (Joe Dailey) who did not have the accuracy nor the understanding truly needed for the offense that Callahan implemented. Dailey may have been perfect for the type of offense he was recruited for, but he was completely lost in the offense that was in front of him. The fact he tried running the football into the end zone at the end of the Southern Miss game, you knew he wasn't the right guy.

But regardless, it happened. We lost to a team that went 6-5 in the regular season. No way in hell did I imagine us losing that game. But it happened.

I get it, I know our schedule. There's 5 gimmies, but we don't know who we're gonna hire. Does anyone know Eichorst enough to trust this guy hiring someone quality? Or just someone who had success in the NFL? WE DON'T KNOW.

So until I know what happens next. That 5-7 record is very much a possibility. NOT LIKELY, it'd be a failure. It's still a possibility.

Getting hit by a car when you step off the curb is a possibility, does that mean you are not going to cross the road?

I guess my point is this: if Bo is a bad coach, *one* of these years, he's going to lose enough games to finally run out of leash.

I don't think that Bo is a *bad* coach but rather that he isn't good enough.He is probably good enough for many schools. Kansas, for example. He isn't good enough for Nebraska.

As a coach, he isn't bad. A position coach.

He possesses some of the worst management qualities I have ever seen. He's been making this bed for seven years and it's high time he lies in it.

I agree, with the caveat that the light bulb can come on for anybody, technically. I also think it's doubtful for Bo. But why not patience? He's going to lose 4 regular season games again one of these years. It's improbable that 9 wins is going to keep happening. Nebraska will be free to make their move then, at a time when a new coach will be universally welcomed and afforded some patience.

The one exception is if we can get Tressel. Tressel is extremely established and I think he would do a lot of good for the program in the short term that he probably has left to coach. I'd be quite happy with this scenario. I'm disappointed in that I felt this was a possibility last year, but we missed it.

For other guys, though, like Hudspeth or any of these up-and-coming, young coaches that you'd be gambling on being the "guy". I think the supply of such candidates will never be dry in any given season, and it gives them the best chance to succeed when they come in after the previous coach leaves absolutely no argument as to the totality of his failure.

Do you not think a coach would be fairly welcomed now? Why not patience? You just admitted that Bo will lose 4 regular season games again one of these years. If that is a forgone conclusion why not now? Why allow the toxicity to continue to grow within the fan base in order to end at some "magical" number 8 that says "it's ok to fire him now".

I didn't think anyone was left arguing the 9 win thing, then zoogies pops in.

We as a fan base have to get out of this 9 win is great attitude. 9 wins with victories over tough, ranked teams occasionally is great, I could live with that for eternity to be honest. I am not that upset about the Minnesota game. We got beat, plain and simple. Kids played hard, did not quit. Now did they play to their capabilities, that is the question. Are they ham strung by coaching, techniques or attitude.

If you are actually happy with 9 wins the level Bo delivers, you have settled, not looking to the future.

Watching Iowa play against Wisconsin, I saw a pretty good team, capable of making adjustments, stopping the run and overall head in the game. If they play like at home Friday, we will be looking at the magic number 4. No wins against a ranked team, near loss to McNeese State and the bar of average has been attained again. WE Won a lot of games. Yes you did. Teams we need to beat, pretty much never happens.

Quality of play, development, management below average, wins from an easy schedule and a terrible conference. We would not have the 9 wins if this team or the past four were playing in the Big 12.

The "light bulb" possibility should be put to rest.

Nebraska's defense started leaving its corners wide open around 2010. Lumbering quarterbacks could get to the first down sticks untouched. Good running backs could set NCAA records. On key plays, Husker defenders often surrendered position before the ball was even snapped.

Pretty soon in-game commentators were saying aloud "what is Nebraska thinking?" Former Blackshirts started saying the same thing. Opposing offenses didn't understand why Nebraska refused to adjust either, but they were happy to exploit it. One QB said it was like playing a high-school team.

We weren't making adjustments in-game. Or in-season. Or between seasons. The light bulb didn't pop on after this year's Wisconsin debacle, either. The same corner was left wide-open against Minnesota, and the commentators were again wondering aloud how Nebraska could possibly have missed the previous week's wake-up call.

I don't think we'll ever get an answer from Bo Pelini.

The "light bulb" possibility should be put to rest.

Nebraska's defense started leaving its corners wide open around 2010. Lumbering quarterbacks could get to the first down sticks untouched. Good running backs could set NCAA records. On key plays, Husker defenders often surrendered position before the ball was even snapped.

Pretty soon in-game commentators were saying aloud "what is Nebraska thinking?" Former Blackshirts started saying the same thing. Opposing offenses didn't understand why Nebraska refused to adjust either, but they were happy to exploit it. One QB said it was like playing a high-school team.

We weren't making adjustments in-game. Or in-season. Or between seasons. The light bulb didn't pop on after this year's Wisconsin debacle, either. The same corner was left wide-open against Minnesota, and the commentators were again wondering aloud how Nebraska could possibly have missed the previous week's wake-up call.

I don't think we'll ever get an answer from Bo Pelini.

but damn was he good against an empty set mizzou.