Lane Kiffin Should Replace Bo - Kind Of Serious

aholla3

Before this gets out of control, I very much understand that there are some people who are probably 100 percent against the thought of hiring Lane Kiffin to replace Bo. He has a bad history as a head coach, has had some embarrassing moments, has acted immaturely at nearly every stop he's been, etc.

There's nothing I can probably do to change your mind if you have that stance, and I totally get that.

However, if Nebraska does decide to fire Bo, I think Kiffin should get a serious look. Here's why:

• He was born in Lincoln. His dad coached and played here. Even if Lane is too young to remember what it's like to be part of the Nebraska football culture, his dad surely can fill him in. If having ties to Nebraska/understanding the tradition is an important attribute for a new coach to have, Lane fits the bill.
  • He's one of the brightest offensive minds in college football. That's not really something I need to prove. As he's proving with Alabama this season, he knows how to fully take advantage of the talent he has.
  • He's an incredible recruiter. That's something Nebraska needs. The only thing Nebraska is in comparison to the elite programs right now (Bama, Ohio State, FSU, etc) is a good recruiting base. Hiring someone who is an outstanding recruiter closes that gap.
  • He's young - 39. That's not too important, but I like the idea of building something with someone who could stay here for a while.
  • Lastly, and most importantly, he's spent the last year coaching under the best head coach in college football. Certainly, he's learned what it takes to run a top-tier program from Nick Saban. That doesn't mean he's going to turn into Nick Saban, but he's 100 percent in better shape to lead a program now than he was when he took the USC job.

Anyone else with me? Again, completely agree if you're not. But I think we could get Kiffin and it'd be a mistake to at least not consider him.

We should just ban people from using the word "coach" for 10 days so they can get it out of their system in some other way and then never post about it here. I don't even care that most of the threads using that word would be about Bo. I'd be fine not reading about him, too. Wait... why am I here again? Oh ya, I like complaining about things too.

Again, completely understand that this is something people would laugh it. Probably cringe at. That's fine and acceptable.

He was good enough at Tennessee to get hired by USC. At USC, he was young, immature, mostly inexperienced and had to deal some with pretty harsh NCAA sanctions.

Really, the only thing people have against him is the way he acts off the field. I'm choosing to believe he's grown thanks to learning under Saban.

the only thing people have against him is the way he acts off the field. I'm choosing to believe he's grown thanks to learning under Saban.

:confucius

Kiffin's been an OK college coach. He won 7 games at Tennessee his first year, a very respectable amount, obviously, since it got him hired at USC. At USC, the biggest thing people had against him was how immaturely he acted, how he dealt with the media, the skipping out on press conferences after losses, etc.

Obviously, he didn't win enough at USC, but he went 10-2 his second year, that's decent.

I'm not sure why it's so confusing to say Kiffin has hopefully learned how to better run a program after spending a season learning from the best coach in college football.

Someone would be here for a while? What in his past would make you think that he would stay at Nebraska for a extended period of time if some west coast job opens up? This may be the worst suggestion yet.

Completely fair.

Obviously we have no idea how long any head coach will stay here if hired. Kiffin's past certainly suggests he would bolt at a better opportunity. USC is off the table, though, and that's really the only west coast job better than Nebraska. And he's from here, so maybe that means something.

Again, I understand it's a wild, crazy, probably dumb suggestion.

But he'd be on a list of candidates for me if we go the assistant route, along with Ohio State's Tom Herman, who would probably be the much safer choice.

Rumor was he and his father tried to get hired here last time and were told thanks, but no thanks. Good thing considering all the NCAA violations he had going on at Tennessee before he fled for USC.

Interesting.

He really didn't have any serious violations at Tennessee. The Vols had some "minor" violations in the one year he was there, and some that have come out since 2011, but nothing more than some minor recruiting stuff. This article does a good job breaking down the violations: http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2011/2/28/2021620/a-breakdown-of-lane-kiffins-violations-at-tennessee