So who the heck is Mike Riley and what has he ever done as a coach!?

This "so tough to win in Corvallis" crap is already old. Oregon is not the only state that has a more powerful state rival to compete with during recruiting. Plus, it is not as if they have won a ton of games there under Riley. If memory serves, it was Erickson who made the program relevant, surrounded by two stints of mediocrity under Riley.

Have you looked at Oregon State's history?

I am taking by your post that you have not as it is entirely not based on facts.

the mediocrity you speak about happens to be the best stretch that Oregon State has had in football in 3 decades.

Oregon State did not have a winning record between 1971-1999. During those 3 decades their best record was 4-6-1 in 1988 and finished under 4 wins in 22 of those seasons.

To call his years mediocre is flat our wrong. What he has accomplished at Oregon State is impressive.

• Fire 1

This "so tough to win in Corvallis" crap is already old. Oregon is not the only state that has a more powerful state rival to compete with during recruiting. Plus, it is not as if they have won a ton of games there under Riley. If memory serves, it was Erickson who made the program relevant, surrounded by two stints of mediocrity under Riley.

I am taking by your post that you have not as it is entirely not based on facts.

the mediocrity you speak about happens to be the best stretch that Oregon State has had in football in 3 decades.

Oregon State did not have a winning record between 1971-1999. During those 3 decades their best record was 4-6-1 in 1988 and finished under 4 wins in 22 of those seasons.

To call his years mediocre is flat our wrong. What he has accomplished at Oregon State is impressive.

Were not Oregon State. he stunk it up in the NFL too. I watched those teams he coached.. Guess this what we get when Brett turned us down.. :(

Think we got jobbed with this hire.. going from a 9-3 HC to a 5-7 one (good Job Steve... I mean Shawn!). Number of 20+ losses this season from Riley 4! Bo had 2! winning seasons last 5 years 2.

2014 5-7

2013 7-6

2012 9-4

2011 3-9

2010 5-7

NOT a lot to cheer about here!!

Looks like a troll, smells like a troll...

If you haven't been paying attention. Oregon St. <= Iowa St.

Were not Oregon State. he stunk it up in the NFL too. I watched those teams he coached.. Guess this what we get when Brett turned us down.. :(

We are not Oregon State is the point I am making. We have more resources and better talent. Thus he will have MUCH more to work with.

Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier also stunk up the NFL as well so that doesn't mean much.

I'm glad Brett turned us down and I believe we have a better coach than BB.

Think we got jobbed with this hire.. going from a 9-3 HC to a 5-7 one (good Job Steve... I mean Shawn!). Number of 20+ losses this season from Riley 4! Bo had 2! winning seasons last 5 years 2.

2014 5-7

2013 7-6

2012 9-4

2011 3-9

2010 5-7

NOT a lot to cheer about here!!

Looks like a troll, smells like a troll...

If you haven't been paying attention. Oregon St. <= Iowa St.

glad to see you think Iowa St is a great program.. we should have hired a coach that has a winning record (shows he can build teams) that didn't happen here.. kinda funny really, we already have apologist for the new coach...

Are people aware that before him, OSU had 28 straight losing seasons?

And by many accounts I have seen today, the facilities in Corvallis are about on par with below a good Texas high school.

So doing a straight line comparison does not work.

FIFY. Still don't think this was the hire NU needed but don't kid yourself. The facilities other than the stadium are bad

I'm impressed that Ore St actually beat both a #1 and #3 USC team and a #2 Cal team in the past ... then beat #11 Ariz St this year. How many top 10 teams did NU beat in the last 7 yrs?

He is an amazing coach and will do incredibly well at NU.

So what makes him an amazing coach?

That. Riley beat Southern Cal twice when they were so good last decade that SC was disappointed about settling for the Rose Bowl. As ASU found out this year, the damn Beavers live to ambush the champion. And this was all done with leftover recruits from California, a place you need to pay attention to.

I was the only one on NDNation who put Riley on the list of replacements for BK, albeit usually for a 2005 type emergency. I hope he works out for you.