Positive college football coaching effect: Mike Riley

Saunders

With friends it's favoritism. I can edit dictionary posts too.

It's widely accepted family=nepotism.

But hey whatever, Lets argue semantics some more because Mike Riley isn't hiring family members.

Technically then it doesn't apply to sports because nepotism is reserved for family in business or politics.

For gods sake, college football is a business.

This is the dumbest argument ever, a butthurt Bo supporter tried to tie nepotism to Riley's hires to somehow justify Bo starting his nephew over another center that many thought deserved the gig, his big picture guy giving his entire brethren (exaggeration, so let's pick over which a Cotton didn't get a scholarship for thirty more posts) a shot and a bunch of assistants their first jobs because they were friends (which is cronyism,the word the original instigator was searching to use)

None of those are even close to Mike Riley hiring people like Banker to an unspecified position, as they all have resumes that make the previous assistants look hilarious and people like Banker were courted to be DC for USC.

It's not the same thing, and it's obvious.

• Fire 3

But hey whatever, Lets argue semantics some more because Mike Riley isn't hiring family members.

Technically then it doesn't apply to sports because nepotism is reserved for family in business or politics.

This is the dumbest argument ever, a butthurt Bo supporter tried to tie nepotism to Riley's hires to somehow justify Bo starting his nephew over another center that many thought deserved the gig, his big picture guy giving his entire brethren (exaggeration, so let's pick over which a Cotton didn't get a scholarship for thirty more posts) a shot and a bunch of assistants their first jobs because they were friends (which is cronyism,the word the original instigator was searching to use)

None of those are even close to Mike Riley hiring people like Banker to an unspecified position, as they all have resumes that make the previous assistants look hilarious and people like Banker were courted to be DC for USC.

That was my first time trolling. Kinda fun.

This is all I care about concerning coaching. Best case scenarios:

Riley: Fundamentals on offense, few dumb penalties. Precision. Move the sticks, time of possession.

Banker/DC: Attack! Stop the run FIRST, pressure the QB, knock down/intercept poorly thrown balls.

Pretty much the opposite of what we've seen the last several years...

• Fire 1

Mike Riley is the kind of coach that this analysis really favors, and with good reason. Among programs in FBS AQ conferences there are few that could be argued are more disadvantaged than Oregon State’s (Washington State, Duke, Wake Forest and Kansas State and maybe a few others). Riley has to be Mr. Do-More-with-Less for Oregon State to even remain respectable, let alone finish a year nationally ranked, which the Beavers have in four of the last seven seasons.

What is probably most interesting is that the Riley’s success at Oregon State hasn’t been driven by any cutting edge offensive or defensive schemes. On offense the Beavers run a fairly standard one-back "pro style" scheme. On defense, they run an aggressive 4-3. Riley gets it done the "old fashioned" way. What his program is really all about is superior talent evaluation and strong player development.

The raw materials Oregon State has to work with aren’t generally considered great, or even very good. The bulk of Oregon State’s recruits over the past decade or so have been ranked two stars by Rivals and Scout. And the Beavers’ biggest impact players, as measured by NFL draft selections, have most often come out of nowhere in terms of recruiting evaluations.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/9/3/4690620/college-football-best-coaches-mike-riley

So awesome. I can't wrap my head around why people are whining about this guy.

This is exactly what we need.

Damn I'm excited.

FB Lead blocker. TE's that block and catch the ball. He evaluates talent. He builds his scheme around those talents. He develops players. Simplicity. Aggressiveness.

All these things I thought Huskernation was praying for. I guess not all of us were.

I think some need to follow BoBo to his next gig.

Im curious why this automatically makes him a bo supporter.

Im curious why this automatically makes him a bo supporter.

His past plays in also.

This presser kinda reminds me of the previous coach ... along with the team played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fGk5sMwQ0

As a Missouri boy ... he is really gonna have to "show me". I was already fainthearted with Bo and the B1G. I think I would rather feel uneasy with Frost for a few years. Oh well, he's an old guy so my guess it won't be for too many years.

I am still hoping, although I do not think it will happen, for Frost to be OC for a few years then take over when Riley retires.

This presser kinda reminds me of the previous coach ... along with the team played.

As a Missouri boy ... he is really gonna have to "show me". I was already fainthearted with Bo and the B1G. I think I would rather feel uneasy with Frost for a few years. Oh well, he's an old guy so my guess it won't be for too many years.

I am still hoping, although I do not think it will happen, for Frost to be OC for a few years then take over when Riley retires.

never happen

OMG!! He sounds like Bo 2.0!