Mike Riley. For Him or GTFU

USC (twice) wanted to hire him as their coach

Maybe USC was a poor pick to prove my point, given they left their last ex-coach in the parking lot when the buses left. But the Lane Kiffin / Mike Riley link is intriguing.

They tried after that.

And Bama was a bad pick too

I'm willing to give him a chance, the more I learn about him and see the reaction of the national media, I am thinking this could be a good hire. Better than the prick Bret B., that's for sure. I hope he brings in a good staff and maybe if I can dream Frost too but I doubt it. I like his personality though and his demeanor will be a breath of fresh air, so looking forward to that part. But if it does fail, I can just see Eichorst and Riley getting fired in 3-4 years and TO stepping in and hiring Frost:)

He's the head coach, he deserves the support of all Nebraskans. However, I do feel we could have, and should have, done better.

Is it just me, or does this all seem to be a bit rushed? 4 days after the firing and the new guy is already in!

Only rushed if there were other options but it seems like Mike was the person all along...just had to wait for the standard University posting laws or whatever and then announce it.

I think SE's speech last Sunday got our hopes up higher than they should have been. I'd be interested in knowing what went down but am trying to focus on the positives now. The latest Beaver QB set passing records in the Pac 12 and is headed to the NFL. This guy's used to doing more with less and that's part of the Nebraska job (especially until we start winning championships again). He has the respect of his peers if that "most underrated coach" poll that had him a close second to Cutcliffe's to be believed.

If you were arguing with a Boliever last week, what did you tell them? I can recall an argument for keeping Bo was, "What name could you reasonably expect to get for Bo's salary?" I wasn't sure it was a matter of getting an established name but rolling the dice, at least. This is working from the understanding that Bo's ceiling was known and not a match for the expectations of Husker fans. We rolled the dice but not on a guy who has proven nothing with a Power 5 team. Would you be that much more excited with Fuente? McNeill? Holliday? It's tough to really know how appealing the Nebraska job is to people given the success potential hires are enjoying now.

• Fire 1

This is pretty hilarious.

Nebraska hires essentially the polar opposite of Bo Pelini personality wise, and all the people who thought Bo deserved an 8th year for more time won't even give Riley a year.

Says it all I'd say.

This is a great hire with the potential to be outstanding.

I was a Pelini supporter Polo...and I'm stoked about this hire. I think he'll do well with the increased $ and facilities.

we have been agreeing a lot lately. i like it.

I'm so sick, it's not even 4 hours into his hiring and people throwing hissy fits all over.

I would like to see a running tally of how many of you snap judging baffoons are against this hire, so when he wins a conference championship you can't switch your idiotic stance. Results don't always tell the story fellas. Hello!!! Look at Pelini

Bringing in a so-so coach to an elite program doesn't make sense. I hope I am wrong about him, be happy to say I was wrong. I have not seen a lifetime coach with a so-so record come into a major program and be much more than so-so. The program and big 10 needed a major hire.. sadly (again I hope I am wrong) this guy isn't it..

He may turn out to be a great coach. We all hope so.

But at this point I don't believe he was a good hire. We already looked iffy in the national media for firing a nine win coach, then we go out and hire a guy who is barely over .500. Makes us look foolish.

And yet everyone, except some Husker fans, are praising this hire. :dunno

ever wonder if those praising NU's hire like to see NU fail? there are lots of talking heads who trash NU praising this hire.. seems like it should allow them to trash us some more.

• Fire 1
See above. Bowfin: try some research before spouting off.

I stand corrected. Using USC as a university that would make a great pick for coach was wrong.

USC also thought Lane Kiffin was a great hire...then threw him off the team bus midway through the season. So that leaves us with Riley = Kiffin = "Get off the d@mned bus!"

I have done a hell of a lot of reading today, and everyone, and I mean everyone, on the national level loves it. Excluding the guys who are in it to be a troll. Other coaches, every recruiting guy, former players, and media guys. I think we might want to listen when everyone is on the same page. Particularly when the current mentality in media is to be as critical as possible.

He is ridiculously well regarded in the coaching community, and a long history of turning 2* guys into NFL draft picks.

So I would say we should be somewhere between pleased and cautiously optimistic.

He may turn out to be a great coach. We all hope so.

But at this point I don't believe he was a good hire. We already looked iffy in the national media for firing a nine win coach, then we go out and hire a guy who is barely over .500. Makes us look foolish.

And yet everyone, except some Husker fans, are praising this hire. :dunno

ever wonder if those praising NU's hire like to see NU fail? there are lots of talking heads who trash NU praising this hire.. seems like it should allow them to trash us some more.

No way. If they praise the hire now, and trash us later, they have to admit they were wrong, and there is nothing a talking head hates more than eating crow. If they disliked the hire, they would bury us for it right now,