New HC Hiring AAR

What happens in 3 or 4 years if Riley doesn't do any better than Bo? Are we going to get rid of him too? What happens if this team gets 7 or 8 wins in the next two years?

No, I don't think so.

If Bo had the record he had here sans a few of the blowouts and the blowups, and ran the whole show with the same embracing, positive vibe that Tim Miles did or Mike Riley seems to, I think Bo would still be coaching here -- and that's 7 years without a conference championship.

Our past two ADs both cited "the way we lost" when referring to on field performance.

So if Riley stays true to Riley and produces 7 Bo-like seasons: a few contending teams, no conference titles, and no total trainwrecks -- I think his seat would be heating up, but he probably escapes the axe unless his recruiting is just not up to par.

7-6 seasons at Nebraska won't cut it, no matter how competitive. He'll have to at least maintain the current status quo. I'm not making that a personal requirement. We all know how the Nebraska mob works. If he doesn't, i guarantee in two years we'll be right back where we were 5 days ago.

What happens in 3 or 4 years if Riley doesn't do any better than Bo? Are we going to get rid of him too? What happens if this team gets 7 or 8 wins in the next two years?

No, I don't think so.

If Bo had the record he had here sans a few of the blowouts and the blowups, and ran the whole show with the same embracing, positive vibe that Tim Miles did or Mike Riley seems to, I think Bo would still be coaching here -- and that's 7 years without a conference championship.

Our past two ADs both cited "the way we lost" when referring to on field performance.

So if Riley stays true to Riley and produces 7 Bo-like seasons: a few contending teams, no conference titles, and no total trainwrecks -- I think his seat would be heating up, but he probably escapes the axe unless his recruiting is just not up to par.

Fair enough...

Conversely would this fan base stuck with Riley if he had the same record here like he had at OSU?

Congrats to Coach Riley, I wish him the best of luck...

Now, I don't see how this is a move that is going to put this program over the top. No conference titles, a .537 winning percentage and 6-2 in mediocre bowls? I would like to know what SE saw in Coach Riley that convinced him that he's the coach that can get this team to the "promised land". I'm sure Coach Riley is a good guy, but unless he goes out and gets an amazing DC and OC, was this whole more really an improvement?

What happens in 3 or 4 years if Riley doesn't do any better than Bo? Are we going to get rid of him too? What happens if this team gets 7 or 8 wins in the next two years? Will the bunkers will be dug and the tinfoil hats will be donned for the impending death knell of our beloved program?

If this was SE's choice from the beginning, I have to wonder to myself, "really"??

At least Eichorst didn't let us twist in the wind for a month with a FUBAR coaching search. Like the last two times. Riley is coming onboard early enough in the process that we'll end up with a decent recruiting class this year. So we didn't lose much from the coaching trade. And we might have actually gained something. Perhaps enough to take us to the next level. Time will tell...

7-6 seasons at Nebraska won't cut it, no matter how competitive. He'll have to at least maintain the current status quo. I'm not making that a personal requirement. We all know how the Nebraska mob works. If he doesn't, i guarantee in two years we'll be right back where we were 5 days ago.

I think you're way off base if you think a coach is going to only get 2 years.

And I prefer reality to perception. If you're going to finish 3rd place in this year's B1G West, for example, there's scarcely a difference between 9-3 and a competitive 7-5.

Nebraska fans are football savvy folks. Riley will build a program the fans can love, and if everyone can see a good product on the field, I think he'll be fine for quite some time.

I think you're way off base if you think a coach is going to only get 2 years.

And I prefer reality to perception. If you're going to finish 3rd place in this year's B1G West, for example, there's scarcely a difference between 9-3 and a competitive 7-5.

Nebraska fans are football savvy folks. Riley will build a program the fans can love, and if everyone can see a good product on the field, I think he'll be fine for quite some time.

If Riley goes 7-6 and 7-6 in the next two seasons, no way he survives. No matter how nice a guy he is. He throws in a Bo Pelini 9-4/10-4 season, he'll keep coaching here.

Lets remove all doubt. Here's hoping he pulls in the 11+ win season.

I think the culture/bunker mentality within the team will take some work to be repaired. I think people are really underestimating this. Overall, the program is not in bad shape by any means tho.

Based on the video clips of Riley, I don't think SE will have to manage perception issues nearly as much. I agree that what caused the trigger to be fired now was ultimately Bo's attitude. Bo only had 1 blowout this year but I think the attitude & schtick hard worn thin across the administration. I would wager a bit more PC attitude the last 3 years would have gotten Bo a little more time from AD.

If Riley stops the blowouts & sees similar w/l record as Bo, I think he's pretty good spot with AD & major boosters. Just competing with MSU, WU, tOSU for 4Q would be a huge improvement right now...

EDIT: Looks like Zoogies nailed it while I was typing....

If he had been forced to spend 2 weeks monitoring this board I wonder if he would have been willing to sign the contract? I don't see much "healing" going on.. I see blind optimism, vindictive self-righteousness, resignation, persistent indignation, and some indifference. He's supposed to fix all that with a wave of his hand or a win or two? I'm not sure even TO getting up and screaming for everyone to knock it off or he'd jam his dadgummed foot up our collective nether regions would stitch this thing back up. :dunno

Good points.

Zoogies, you're much more optimistic than I, to me this feels like 2003~2004 revisited.

But I've never been much of a gut feeling guy.

9~4 wasn't well received

It wasn't the quantity of wins, it was the quality of wins.

No question. But would this fan base look past a 7-6 season? I think next year he gets a pass, even with a favorable schedule.

But if he doesn't deliver by year 2, things heat up, imo.

I don't think so. I think fans will be willing to give him more time to get his recruits in (goes with any coach)