Is Riley the Best Candidate We Could Get?

Mavric

How Did We Do?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like many others here, ask me in five to seven years..

He won't be here that long.

So, i keep hearing that he is the best "fit," so besides that being the narrative we're fed from the university and him supposedly being a nice guy and he had one of TOs books, what makes him a great fit?

His record the past 6 seasons is below .500 and he's never played for a championship at this level.

He runs an NFL style offense which has proven to be a failure here.

Not really sure what his defense will do, I've heard 3~4 and I've heard 4~3.

He'll have a full time ST coach, which to the best of my recollection, we didn't need under TO.

Much like Bo, his teams have a penchant for playing soft and undisciplined as times. They also have the history of the occasional blowout loss.

He says he respects our programs and traditions, but so did Bo and Bill.

He'll be nicer to the media than Bo, but i don't care about any of that. Frankly, some of those asshats got what they deserved from Bo.

If his latest commit is any indication of the type of players he's after, we'll take a step backwards in talent.

I'm not on the ledge here, but I'm still honestly trying to get my head wrapped around this hire and how it's going to make us any better than we've been.

If someone could explain how this is the best fit. I'd sincerely appreciate the explanation.

Like many others here, ask me in five to seven years..

He won't be here that long.

So, i keep hearing that he is the best "fit," so besides that being the narrative we're fed from the university and him supposedly being a nice guy and he had one of TOs books, what makes him a great fit?

His record the past 6 seasons is below .500 and he's never played for a championship at this level.

He runs an NFL style offense which has proven to be a failure here.

Not really sure what his defense will do, I've heard 3~4 and I've heard 4~3.

He'll have a full time ST coach, which to the best of my recollection, we didn't need under TO.

Much like Bo, his teams have a penchant for playing soft and undisciplined as times. They also have the history of the occasional blowout loss.

He says he respects our programs and traditions, but so did Bo and Bill.

He'll be nicer to the media than Bo, but i don't care about any of that. Frankly, some of those asshats got what they deserved from Bo.

If his latest commit is any indication of the type of players he's after, we'll take a step backwards in talent.

I'm not on the ledge here, but I'm still honestly trying to get my head wrapped around this hire and how it's going to make us any better than we've been.

If someone could explain how this is the best fit. I'd sincerely appreciate the explanation.

Really man, ive been a supporter for you but if you think Bill Callahan supported the history and tradition for this team then your a f'ing lunatic.

I think it's more about fit and managing benefits and deficits than finding the "best" coach. Could a coach that's used to spending all of his time recruiting in fertile SEC territory really be a guaranteed success at a place like Nebraska? Or do we need someone who is experienced in dealing with natural disadvantages? To a certain extent I think it all depends on the person. I don't have a better answer to the question.

i agree, between money and who would come, we will never know........

Callahan did, though. I mean it was never as bad as the perception has become because of all the anger. His failure was going 5-7 in year 4.Hunter, there's clearly no explanation for you. You'll just have to wait and see and come around, or not! :)

I don't remember if Bill actually did or not, but he at least paid lip service to it until it was clear that he was on his way out the door.

I think dissing tradition was more Steve's deal.

Sorry but I care, i care a lot, about this program. I do everything in my reasonable power to keep informed and to catch the games.

Two days later, and I'm still trying to make reasonable sense of this.

The simplified version is he has always had the reputation of doing the most with less. Which is something that would be advantageous to Nebraska if we want to start competing with the big boys again.

I hope you're right. Thank you, i appreciate it.

Edit: he'll have to prove it, and like others have said, the final verdict will be out for a few years.

• Fire 1

Callahan did, though. I mean it was never as bad as the perception has become because of all the anger. His failure was going 5-7 in year 4.Hunter, there's clearly no explanation for you. You'll just have to wait and see and come around, or not! :)

I don't remember if Bill actually did or not, but he at least paid lip service to it until it was clear that he was on his way out the door.

I think dissing tradition was more Steve's deal.

Sorry but I care, i care a lot, about this program. I do everything in my reasonable power to keep informed and to catch the games.

Two days later, and I'm still trying to make reasonable sense of this.

I get it man, but its a long ways away from where you are really going to see if a difference is made or not. Can you really keep this up for the next half year. Ill say if Riley holds a open practice and you are able ill go to it with you. Maybe we can see some good or all bad but at least then we would have some perspective. Just blind distain isnt going to be good.

• Fire 2

I think we got a better candidate than Frost.

Frost would be a great candidate for CSU!

I think Frost would be the better recruiter, not the better coach. With that said, you can always surround yourself with a fantastic staff of either great coaches or recruiters or hopefully both.

So, right now, for me, lots will depend on the staff.

Personally could care less one way or the other.

I see a guy that wants to be here, wants to coach Nebraska, with no stepping stone mentality..

We will get more from him than the previous two.

He fits for me, that is all I care about. Make the players better, play the game to their strength, make it a team for Nebraska, not against Nebraska, who could ask for more.

• Fire 1

I think people really need to take into account how the playoffs have changed things. Guys like Patterson or Briles would have jumped in the past, because the pool of who can realistically make the BCS champ game was very very small. The by going to 4 (and probably 8 soon) simply being able to win your conference may be enough to play for it all.

So the effect is that if a guy at a P5 school that wants to compete, can compete. This shifts new hires for open jobs to G5 head coaches, hot coordinators, or good HC's at P5 schools who choose not to compete. Or the odd guy who is out of a job for one reason or another.

Of the names listed in this poll, McElwain was the hot G5 coach, who got scooped up by Florida.

Tressel had stated in the past when he took the job he has now, that he is done with coaching.

Schiano? Really? His career record and path are very similar to Riley, but with a personality much closer to Pelini.

Briles, Patterson and Bielima meet that category of schools want to compete. And they are competing, why start over?

Wittingham is interesting, but other than being younger, I don't know as he has any advantages over who we did hire.

And Frost was never, ever, ever going to happen. And really, all the moaning over the years over this not being a training wheels program, people really want to go that route again?

I was underwhelmed when I first saw the hire. But the more I read on Riley, and who else was out there, I think we did get a very good fit. And make no mistake 'fit' is more important that anything else. Ask RichRod about 'fit' he gets 'COTY' at the stops before and after Mich. And really getting into it I think the number one reason people are upset at this point is they had mentally geared up for a 'big name' and then didn't get it. But from what you read Riley has the list of qualities that the fanbase as a whole has been calling for in a coach for years. Character guy, good evaluator of talent, good at coaching his guys up, and even a solid recruiter.

Time will tell, but Riley looks like a very good fit, and probably the best we were going to do this year.

• Fire 2