New NU Linebacker Coach Trent Bray

Trust him to put a staff together. Geeze, some of you whine more than my 3 year old daughter.

+1

A lot of questioning about coaches we don't know a lot about. It's hard to judge how they'll do in this situation because they haven't been in this situation before.

Can we save the bitching and questioning until after they give us a reason to bitch and question? Good lord.

Give them a chance. See what they do. If it sucks whine all you want.

No, we can't and shouldn't--that's the rub, in that we've already had two mulligans, and this program likely can't survive a third...not in a way that is acceptable.

Plus, we've just terminated a supposedly defensive-minded coach, and we are going to replace that with a coach that let Eastern Washington hang over 50 on them?

Take a look at our 2015 schedule and tell me how Nebraska is above .500 with that s**t show of a defense at OSU now in Lincoln?

This hire has gone from questionable to just plain s****y with these buddy hires. I thought money wasn't an issue? If not, why is Nebraska settling for bargain-rate hacks?

I'd be surprised if he actually brought all of his players with him. It's not going to be, like, the same defense, man. Let's see how we do against Wisconsin before pooping a chicken.

Trust him to put a staff together. Geeze, some of you whine more than my 3 year old daughter.

+1

A lot of questioning about coaches we don't know a lot about. It's hard to judge how they'll do in this situation because they haven't been in this situation before.

Can we save the bitching and questioning until after they give us a reason to bitch and question? Good lord.

Give them a chance. See what they do. If it sucks whine all you want.

No, we can't and shouldn't--that's the rub, in that we've already had two mulligans, and this program likely can't survive a third...not in a way that is acceptable.

Plus, we've just terminated a supposedly defensive-minded coach, and we are going to replace that with a coach that let Eastern Washington hang over 50 on them?

Take a look at our 2015 schedule and tell me how Nebraska is above .500 with that s**t show of a defense at OSU now in Lincoln?

This hire has gone from questionable to just plain s****y with these buddy hires. I thought money wasn't an issue? If not, why is Nebraska settling for bargain-rate hacks?

I'd be surprised if he actually brought all of his players with him.
If he does I think it's some kind of violation. And I am against that. We are Nebraska, after all.

Banker is horrible. He hasn't stopped a running QB in years and that's counting Sacramento State and Eastern Washington. Defense was expected to be a strength this year with 9 senior starters and they stunk instead. It has been reported Banker was not going to be retained by Riley after this season. If he comes to UNL as the DC, I will not be happy.

So Riley was going to fire him from OSU but since he got a new job, all is forgiven?

Something doesn't sound right here

Banker is horrible. He hasn't stopped a running QB in years and that's counting Sacramento State and Eastern Washington. Defense was expected to be a strength this year with 9 senior starters and they stunk instead. It has been reported Banker was not going to be retained by Riley after this season. If he comes to UNL as the DC, I will not be happy.

So Riley was going to fire him from OSU but since he got a new job, all is forgiven?

Many thought he was going to be this year's sacrificial lamb. New location and no sacrifice needed it would appear. I hope the report is wrong, but Lindsey Schnell was The Oregonian's OSU beat writer a few years back. She's not the schmo some here think she is.

Many thought he was going to be this year's sacrificial lamb. New location and no sacrifice needed it would appear. I hope the report is wrong, but Lindsey Schnell was The Oregonian's OSU beat writer a few years back. She's not the schmo some here think she is.

She also never said he was coming here as a DC.

She also never said he was coming here as a DC.

True, but I don't know of any times where a coach was hired, brought his staff along, but demoted one of them. It may very well happen, but I'm not counting on it.

Could it be that some of you are so anti Bo Pelini and his crew that ANYONE who comes in here is an automatic upgrade.

DING DING DING...we have a winner. There are folks so anti-Bo that when a potentially s****y hire is staring them in the face, they choose not to see it.

I was willing to give the Riley hire a chance, provided the right coordinators and staff showed up under him--again, our AD said money wasn't a concern.

But when Riley is bringing his defensive buddies from OSU with him...the same ones that choked against Eastern Washington, NOT Wisky, and the same ones the OSU fans wanted run out on a rail for incompetence...it's becoming clear this is quickly becoming a s****y hire and the mistake to end all mistakes with this progam.

So what do people choose to see when 70-31 & 59-24 is staring them in the face? Part of the process? Stay the course? There are a lot more examples of poor play in meaningful games if needed. Give us a break and allow us to be excited and hopeful with Riley & whatever staff he puts together. We are looking forward to a new season. We are done with the past.

Y'all fans that criticize this idea is something Bo would be proud of. And J Mitchell too.

Couldn't have said it any better! Well put.

Bray is a fantastic hire and many at OSU were hoping, if Riley was sticking around, Bray would be named DC. Fantastic position coach and when he was brought in to OSU the play of the linebackers, already considered to be a decently performing bunch in the PAC12, took a big step forward. I think Nebraska will be extremely happy with the Linebacker play under Bray's tutelage. OSU has a very strong tradition of linebacker play and Bray has been a player and coach in that tradition. Great get for Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Bray is a fantastic hire and many at OSU were hoping, if Riley was sticking around, Bray would be named DC. Fantastic position coach and when he was brought in to OSU the play of the linebackers, already considered to be a decently performing bunch in the PAC12, took a big step forward. I think Nebraska will be extremely happy with the Linebacker play under Bray's tutelage. OSU has a very strong tradition of linebacker play and Bray has been a player and coach in that tradition. Great get for Nebraska.

Rileyman, who else do you like from Riley's former staff that could take the Huskers to championship level?

The receivers coach Brennan is a fantastic coach. I'm not sure if the DB coach is coming (Rod Perry) but he's been very solid. I think he has other options as does the defensive line coach Joe Seaumalo particularly in the Pros. He is a great recruiter, particularly out of hawai'i for the big guys, and, when he has the healthy guys, has coached up some fantastic players like Paea and Crichton.

The guys I wanted to see let go at OSU were Banker (mostly because he can't stop the spread and right now in the PAC12...that means he's not stopping many) and Read. Personally I think Read is an underperformer but as a kicking coach he has been undeniable. We've had groza winners and nominees and the current best kicker in the NLF (Johnny Hecker) is a phenomenal kicker. Returns (ko and punt) have been very very ordinary. Protection is ok. Not standout.

Cavanaugh is a great coach but he's had a tough run the last few years. The line depth is practically zero. How much the poor performance has been to injuries and lack of depth is unknown. I think at Nebraska he will have the trenches guys to really be able to tell if he's lost his touch or just needed to right bodies. After Bray, Brennan, Seaumalo and Perry the rest of the guys are "ok" and the resources at Nebraska will be the true barometer. They're not going to have excuses of recruiting/resources to explain any deficiencies. To better understand the differences in recruiting, currently Nebraska has five 4* recruits. OSU has 1 and they're hoping he actually signs. The only 5 star I can remember in recent years is Seuamalo's son who is maybe the best center in the PAC12 but has been sidelined the entire year with a broken foot. The fans at OSU go crazy if they sign a 4 star guy. A lot of times they don't qualify academically anyway even after signing their LOI. The raw talent at OSU is far below even what Nebraska feels is an ordinary year. Riley & Co do a great job just to make the teams competitive.

The OC is terrible and had only been on the job for a year. He's not going to be coming to Nebraska. The two previous OCs are now the head coach at Pitt and the QB coach at NY Giants in the NFL.

I really have no idea who Riley has in mind for his OC. He's a pro-set guy and so the idea he's bringing Frost seems totally unlikely to me. Honestly, I know Tedford from Cal is wanting to get back into the college ranks, he and Riley have a bit of a relationship and so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tedford applying for the job. After that...it's really unknown. Riley is the OC in his offense. Everyone else is a QB coach. I wouldn't be 100% shocked if he steals the OC at Washington (J. Smith) but again...a bit of an unknown. Smith is a very talented guy and is getting a rough stick in Washington but if he isn't approached by Riley I wouldn't be surprised at all. A complete mystery really.

• Fire 3

I really have no idea who Riley has in mind for his OC. He's a pro-set guy and so the idea he's bringing Frost seems totally unlikely to me. Honestly, I know Tedford from Cal is wanting to get back into the college ranks, he and Riley have a bit of a relationship and so I wouldn't be shocked to see Tedford applying for the job. After that...it's really unknown. Riley is the OC in his offense. Everyone else is a QB coach. I wouldn't be 100% shocked if he steals the OC at Washington (J. Smith) but again...a bit of an unknown. Smith is a very talented guy and is getting a rough stick in Washington but if he isn't approached by Riley I wouldn't be surprised at all. A complete mystery really.

Thanks very much for your insight, RileyMan. It is much appreciated on this board.

Quick question...and I apologize if it has been asked already. Did John Garrett (and Langsdorf before him) call any plays or did Riley call them all? I don't understand naming an OC if that person isn't going to call any plays. That person is just a glorified position coach.