Who Starts @ I-Back Next Season?

I've seen two major flaws that hold Cross back: first, sometimes he hesitates behind the line, usually when the expected hole doesn't open up, or when the D-line gets some penetration. He pulls back and tries to make a lateral move, but ends up getting swallowed in the backfield. If he removes the hesitation, he could improve a lot! If the expected hOle doesn't open, change your angle of approach or make a quick diagonal (not side-to-side) cut to a different one.

His second issue is that when he expects contact or runs through a narrow hole, he doesn't get his pads low enough. This allows defenders to hit his torso to stop his momentum, and get the leverage needed to push him back. He needs to do some runs through a tire tunnel.

Other than those two things, he's a good RB. He covers the ball pretty well, has a suprisingly high top end speed for his size, pass blocks well, and is more elusive than people give him credit for (though much better with the hit-and-spin move the with a juke or hard cut). Get him coached up this off season and he could be a solid every down back.

• Fire 1

I've seen two major flaws that hold Cross back: first, sometimes he hesitates behind the line, usually when the expected hole doesn't open up, or when the D-line gets some penetration. He pulls back and tries to make a lateral move, but ends up getting swallowed in the backfield. If he removes the hesitation, he could improve a lot! If the expected hOle doesn't open, change your angle of approach or make a quick diagonal (not side-to-side) cut to a different one.

His second issue is that when he expects contact or runs through a narrow hole, he doesn't get his pads low enough. This allows defenders to hit his torso to stop his momentum, and get the leverage needed to push him back. He needs to do some runs through a tire tunnel.

Other than those two things, he's a good RB. He covers the ball pretty well, has a suprisingly high top end speed for his size, pass blocks well, and is more elusive than people give him credit for (though much better with the hit-and-spin move the with a juke or hard cut). Get him coached up this off season and he could be a solid every down back.

Plus not getting the ball 5+ years behind the line of scrimmage.

Plus not getting the ball 5+ years behind the line of scrimmage.

Sorry - yards!

I think Imani will be the guy in this new offense. People have absolutely gone nuts over what Wilbon has done on the scout team. Newby just hasn't done it for me when he's been the game. Hopefully he gets that turned around with new staff. As of today my guys would like this.

Cross

Wilbon

Taylor

Newby

Busey.

First, let's hope our offensive line can do a little better blocking, and open up some holes for whoever is the running.

That said, I have heard really good things about both Taylor and Wilbon, but it's tough for me to say since I have never seen them first hand. Newby has the potential to be great, but he is a rhythm runner, and the way the staff substituted players in and out, it was tough for him to ever get going. Imani is a one cut back, but would be nice to have in their in short yardage situations, or a change of pace.

Going out on a limb, because again, I have not seen the other running backs in person, and am just going off what I have heard:

Taylor

Wilbon

Newby

Cross

Bussey may be in the mix too, assuming he ends up at Nebraska.

In a One Back pro style offense that Riley runs these are the running plays:

Inside zone, outside zone and stretch

That means the back has to be very patient and explosive- think Ameer Abdullah and jump cuts, THOSE are the skills needed to run both zone plays and stretch

There isn't much of any run to hole 4 with a head of stream behind a kickout block

That means that there is no way that Imani Cross is the starter and doubtful he gets much playing time

• Fire 1

2 backs will split carries. Oregon State had a 800 yard back and 900 yard back this year I believe.

Terran Ward and Storm Woods.

Doubt we have a featured back. Hell we may use 3 or 4

sill goose. Riley dont run the ball. He throws it 85 times a game.

I was wrong. Might have been last year. Terran Ward was injured in week 13

The people on this board that think pro style offense translates somehow better to Imani Cross absolutely befuddle me. The best back will play. And I believe it will be Taylor. Newby has had plenty of opportunity to prove something and I just haven't seen it. Imani is what he is. Straight ahead power back. This is all assuming Bussey doesn't make it here.

Definitely the best back will start/play. I guess what I saw towards the end of the season when Cross was in and TA was under center gave me a glimpse of what Cross might be able to do if he is running downhill and being led with the ball in the more traditional sense. He looked good doing that and I believe if what Riley says that they operate under center more often then this could only be a positive for Cross.

I don't know if it will translate to him starting. But I think he could be way more than just a goal line back in this system.