Is HuskerNation divided more than ever

Husker Q

Divided? I disagree. Most I talk to IRL are excited after researching the old ball coach. On Huskerboard? Of course. Message boards are beacons of light for cry babies. They really are. Refute this fact that's fine. I always laugh when someone says "wow they must not read the message boards" no they don't. Because husker board is not representative of the voice of huskernation.

So who is the voice of huskernation? Fans? Students? Alumni? If only there was a website where fans, students and alumni can discuss and VOICE their opinions. Anyone know of such a place?

I'll be glad when the bitchin' stops (or at least slows) so that recruits don't have to see the negativity. I'm not a koolaid drinker, but I see no point in putting the negativity on a public board. How does it help?

Assuming SE is an intelligent person, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I hope the recruits form their own opinions of the coaches and ignore the complaining that they are probably reading.

Fact is, you can list all these different "camps" everyone might be in but really there's only one camp.

The wait and see camp. You're all in it. There's nothing you can do to change that.

This. It seems like after the initial kick in the balls type reaction most Husker fans felt after it was announced that Mike Riley was our new head coach, that most have taken the "wait and see" type of stance.

My take would be that I'm going to try to be optimistic about the future of Nebraska football until proven otherwise. I think Coach Riley is going to be a great fit for Nebraska based on research I've done and what I've heard about him since he was announced as head coach. Now a "good fit" doesn't mean championships, but that's where the wait and see comes into play.

I cant remember who it was or what thread it was in but I go back to the person who said "At this point I'm WAY more excited about Coach Riley's 1st year than I would have been about Bo's 8th year."

I'll be glad when the bitchin' stops (or at least slows) so that recruits don't have to see the negativity. I'm not a koolaid drinker, but I see no point in putting the negativity on a public board. How does it help?

Assuming SE is an intelligent person, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I hope the recruits form their own opinions of the coaches and ignore the complaining that they are probably reading.

World class education, top ranked facilities, storied program yet the main concern with recruits is message boards... BRILLIANT!

We are positive in the same way you were 100% sure that Bo was never going to win anything at nebraska Hedley. For the last two years the Bo haters have been on here bashing every loss, coach and playcall. Now it's our turn to question everything your coach does. Sounds like he is already off to a good start with the hiring of Banker and Read. It's not a good sign when the Oregon state play by play guy says they suck.

No.

The absolute last thing this board needs are people offended by how the last coach was treated coming in here and "showing you what it's like." Legitimate discussion and football criticism is fine. Using this forum as a weapon to get back at the people who wronged you in the past is not what HuskerBoard is for.

Seriously how can you not know Huskerboard is about ranting on Nebraska cuisine at this point?

World class education, top ranked facilities, storied program yet the main concern with recruits is message boards... BRILLIANT!

Yea. Litreally every football program in Div 1 has a message board of some kind. If recruits judged off of msg boards. Bama would be 0-12

I'm a wait and see guy, but once the Michigan job opened and they said they weren't going with a "Michigan Guy" for say, and Florida hired McElwain, I personally think SE got happy feet and didn't let the process play out. He got a safe pick that is well respected in the coaching world. It's SE's a$$ on the line.

I hope Riley does well and brings us over the "hump" but I'd hate to see what people say after a 6-6 or 7-5 record, a 3 TD loss, or a multiple game losing streak. This board will BO up. Oops, Blow up.

3. Downgrade hire. I fall into this group. The reason we are unhappy is because we care about Nebraska and feel this hire sets us back 5 years (1-3 until he's gone, another 1-3 to turn it back around) just to get back to where we are now. I am highly confident that this will be the case. I therefore have very little hope for the next few years. That is depressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But I said the same thing the day BC was hired and it was an extremely long and painful 4 years.

People who fall into this category scream ignorant to me. People who stayed isolated in the Big10 and didn't stay up to watch any Pac-12 football the last 10 years and don't understand how good and diverse that conference is and didn't watch Riley knocking off #1 USC in consecutive years...and didn't watch his physical teams with smart run games and future all-pro running backs.

The only people who hate the Riley hire are ignorant fans with a small college football TV watching history...if you didn't know Mike Riley before this hire, you are not a true fan of CFB but an insular and sheltered idiot and your opinion doesn't matter.

How can anyone judge how great a recruiter they are when they have been working in Corvallis Oregon, and that program....

Baffles me. Some recruiters are better than other simply due to what program they are at, why can't this be the case now? Oh...because negativity is flowing hard here

I agree, recruiting there is insanely difficult. However, I felt it was necessary to bring in an assistant with a history of landing 4 star players, which is absolutely necessary to win.

Right now we're just hoping he's able to do it here because of our 'brand'.

It baffles me that people think recruiting will improve significantly. Will Riley recruit as well as Pelini? Probably. But Nebraska needs to make a massive jump, regularly bring in top 15 classes, which is going to be difficult without a proven recruiter.

To bridge the gap between our fringe top 25 classes and classes closer to the top 15, we needed to spend the money to bring in a few mega recruiters. That has yet to happen.

A good point that is bothering alot of people

My first choice for new head coach was Matt Wells at Utah State. That team did a lot with less resources than Oregon State. They were down to their 4th QB I believe due to injuries and still had a respectable season. They are even going to a bowl game! Oregon State? Nope. Wells is also younger and hungrier than Riley in my opinion. I watched a few Utah State games this year and when things went south the staff appeared supportive to the players on the sidelines, so he also had the nice guy angle as well. As far as the OP. I am a solid 2.5. I am going to wait and see, but I have a really bad feeling about this hire (I knew the Callahan hire was not a good fit as well). If we have 9 wins next year I will be shocked. After the first loss and the inevitable blowout, we will be told to be patient. I hope that my apprehension is completely unfounded, Riley is a huge success and he gets us into conference championship games etc. etc.

3. Downgrade hire. I fall into this group. The reason we are unhappy is because we care about Nebraska and feel this hire sets us back 5 years (1-3 until he's gone, another 1-3 to turn it back around) just to get back to where we are now. I am highly confident that this will be the case. I therefore have very little hope for the next few years. That is depressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But I said the same thing the day BC was hired and it was an extremely long and painful 4 years.

People who fall into this category scream ignorant to me. People who stayed isolated in the Big10 and didn't stay up to watch any Pac-12 football the last 10 years and don't understand how good and diverse that conference is and didn't watch Riley knocking off #1 USC in consecutive years...and didn't watch his physical teams with smart run games and future all-pro running backs.

The only people who hate the Riley hire are ignorant fans with a small college football TV watching history...if you didn't know Mike Riley before this hire, you are not a true fan of CFB but an insular and sheltered idiot and your opinion doesn't matter.

Maybe they watched OSU lose to Eastern Washington and Sacramento State. I watch more college football than anyone I know. I certainly knew Mike Riley and immediately said "WTF?!, why would we hire him". Expecting someone who hasn't had success in 20 years to all of the sudden have success seems more ignorant to me.

• Fire 3