How the Huskers get into the playoffs every year

T_O_Bull

I posted this in another thread but I would like to get more thoughts on my idea than that thread will generate. I've hated the BCS and now I hate this new playoff system. I find that if you leave things to those deemed smarter than the rest of us they always come up with something convoluted and stupid.

Here's what I came up with and E-mailed to Mike and Mike.

Want a playoff then lets really have one. The following is a copy of an e-mail I sent to Mike and Mike:

Its still the still the BCS and really no better. Now that the end of the college football season has been ruined by sports talk media's (both tv and radio) relentless quest for a football playoff, well if you want a playoff lets have a real one. Season long, every game counts. here how it works:

5 power conferences is stupid. You need to have 8. There are 124 FBS schools. Each conference gets 16 teams, and they are divided into 8 team divisions. Every team plays 4 out of conference games at the start of the season (Sorry SEC no more cupcakes late in the season.) Teams then play 7 games in their division, no out of division games, thus no more playing a team twice in a season. Division winners play the Conference Championship Game. The 8 Conference Champions are then paired and play out an 8 team bracket with the National Championship being played on New Years Day. The major bowls also play on New Years Day or perhaps one on New Years Eve and pick the teams from those that lose in Conference Championships and the 6 teams that lose in the 8 team playoff.

This gives you a season long playoff system. Every game counts. It starts the last Saturday in August and ends January 1st. No more 3/4 week layoff in December. You sports commentators now have a real play off where the winner is actually determined on the field of play.

Sat. August 29, 2015 - 1st out of conference game.

Sat. Sept. 5, 12 and 19 - 2nd, 3rd and 4th out of conference games.

Sat. Sept. 26 - Off week

Sat. Oct. 3 - 1st in Conference, Divisional game.

Sat. Oct. 10, 17, 24 - 2nd through 4th Divisional games.

Sat. Oct. 31 - Off week

Sat. Nov. 7, 14 and 21 - 5th through 7th Divisional games.

Sat. Nov. 28 - Conference Championship Games

Sat. Dec. 5 - Off week

Sat. Dec. 12 - Elite 8 Games

Sat. Dec. 19 - Off week

Sat. Dec. 26 - Final 4 Games

Fri. Jan 1 - New Years Day, National Championship Game

Basically a three month long tournament. No more 3/4 week lay off for the teams playing in the big bowls. No more grumbling about the team that gets left out. A real playoff that doesn't rely on computers or the opinion of a committee. If you really want a play off then let's have one. Start lobbing ESPN, you're the gorilla in the room and you have a 24/7 pulpit.

Think about it Mike and MIKE, it makes sense.

Sam in SD

Take your shots guys. Just make the shots constructive not just inflammatory BS.

T_O_B

5 power conferences. 16 teams in each conference.

8 team playoff. Champion of each power 5 conference and 3 wildcards. (No more than 2 teams from same conference)

3 wildcards based on highest non-conference champion or non-power 5 team in committee poll.

Regular season:

3 non-conference games (at least 1 against power 5, at least 1 against non-power 5) "No FCS"

9 conference games (7 games for each division, 2 games out of division rotation - "one home/one away, different non-division teams every year")

1 Conference Championship game

1st playoff game

2nd playoff game

National championship game

16 games for the two national championship teams

At least 12 games for every non-bowl team

I posted this in another thread but I would like to get more thoughts on my idea than that thread will generate. I've hated the BCS and now I hate this new playoff system. I find that if you leave things to those deemed smarter than the rest of us they always come up with something convoluted and stupid.

Here's what I came up with and E-mailed to Mike and Mike.

Want a playoff then lets really have one. The following is a copy of an e-mail I sent to Mike and Mike:

Its still the still the BCS and really no better. Now that the end of the college football season has been ruined by sports talk media's (both tv and radio) relentless quest for a football playoff, well if you want a playoff lets have a real one. Season long, every game counts. here how it works:

5 power conferences is stupid. You need to have 8. There are 124 FBS schools. Each conference gets 16 teams, and they are divided into 8 team divisions. Every team plays 4 out of conference games at the start of the season (Sorry SEC no more cupcakes late in the season.) Teams then play 7 games in their division, no out of division games, thus no more playing a team twice in a season. Division winners play the Conference Championship Game. The 8 Conference Champions are then paired and play out an 8 team bracket with the National Championship being played on New Years Day. The major bowls also play on New Years Day or perhaps one on New Years Eve and pick the teams from those that lose in Conference Championships and the 6 teams that lose in the 8 team playoff.

This gives you a season long playoff system. Every game counts. It starts the last Saturday in August and ends January 1st. No more 3/4 week layoff in December. You sports commentators now have a real play off where the winner is actually determined on the field of play.

Sat. August 29, 2015 - 1st out of conference game.

Sat. Sept. 5, 12 and 19 - 2nd, 3rd and 4th out of conference games.

Sat. Sept. 26 - Off week

Sat. Oct. 3 - 1st in Conference, Divisional game.

Sat. Oct. 10, 17, 24 - 2nd through 4th Divisional games.

Sat. Oct. 31 - Off week

Sat. Nov. 7, 14 and 21 - 5th through 7th Divisional games.

Sat. Nov. 28 - Conference Championship Games

Sat. Dec. 5 - Off week

Sat. Dec. 12 - Elite 8 Games

Sat. Dec. 19 - Off week

Sat. Dec. 26 - Final 4 Games

Fri. Jan 1 - New Years Day, National Championship Game

Basically a three month long tournament. No more 3/4 week lay off for the teams playing in the big bowls. No more grumbling about the team that gets left out. A real playoff that doesn't rely on computers or the opinion of a committee. If you really want a play off then let's have one. Start lobbing ESPN, you're the gorilla in the room and you have a 24/7 pulpit.

Think about it Mike and MIKE, it makes sense.

Sam in SD

Take your shots guys. Just make the shots constructive not just inflammatory BS.

T_O_B

8 times 16 = 128