ISIS enslaving, raping those who don't convert (even adolescents)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/12/world/meast/isis-justification-female-slaves/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/isis-recruiting-lone-wolf-terrorists-target-times-square-bratton-article-1.1941687

I know dangerous factions like this have existed in different pockets of the world for longer than I have been alive, but this ISIS group strikes me as particularly scummy and reckless. I hope that whatever we do in the future, we continue to strive to equip the Iraqis with knowledge and training in eradicating these asshats. I'm truly worried if we give this group an inch, they may begin to plan out another 9/11 type attack on our home soil. They've openly admitted to trying to recruit sympathizers in the US to attack US citizens. From there, it's a short walk to them panning out some other type of major terrorist attack.

It's probably already be discussed, but what do you think is the ideal way for the US to contribute to dealing with ISIS?

You won't get rid of them and you can't just kill them all. Support our allies in the region against them on the basis of their treatment of civilians, with military force where needed. In the meantime, don't freak out at their threats and actions and change the way we do things as a response.

None of any of the above or anything else will stop groups from attempting and perhaps succeeding in launching another terrorist attack. The best we can do is put in reasonable safeguards to protect against it while remaining a country of liberty worthy of global emulation, and if anything ever does happen, to respond appropriately and recover and rebuild as the U.S. always has.

You're right Zoogs. That was pretty much the conclusion I came to as well after mulling over the problem some.

I think the plan of attack we're using now of further training for the Iraqi military, as well as strategic drone bombings is the best we can do. Extremist factions and terrorists groups are far too widespread and at the same time faceless to actually eliminate. I suppose we just have to do the best to identify and eliminate their leaders when the opportunity presents itself while trying to minimize/avoid direct attacks from them on civilians.

I just hope we continue to make support against ISIS consistent priority amidst the myriad of other complaints people seem to have about the direction of our country right now. Hearing of their acts against humanity makes my blood boil like few things can nowadays.

• Fire 1

God, I wish they would piss off the wrong groups...So we could get rid of these f'ers...please please please piss off a few Russian underground extremists...or just the Russian military! Let me preface this by saying that I was told about this from a history teacher and HUGE history buff...not sure if it is 100% true.

About...30 years ago...some ISIS "off-shoots" kidnapped a pretty high ranking Russian ambassador. They called and demanded money, the Russian government basically said, "sure, hold on, we will deliver it"

About two days later the delivery was made...it was one of the higher ranking members of this off-shoot "ISIS" group...in a box...with his c$%k cut off and put placed ever so gently into his mouth.

Needless to say...that group left the Russians alone.

This was a smaller click of the group but still...it was an interesting way to deal with it! ha

• Fire 1

When is Europe the Middle East going to get disgusted enough to go do something about it?

We may have helped create this specific problem but the roots of it go back a long ways. Ultimately it's a Middle East problem . . . but many of them have more in common than different with ISIS. (Saudi Arabia in particular.)

But in general, ISIS is massively overhyped. They are far more adept at messaging than they are at fighting. That's not to say that they would be easily eradicated but rather that they are really only successful when they're filling a vacuum.

The only way Sadaam Hussein kept control of the country of Iraq with it's 3 warring factions was a policy of being more violent than they were. Political correctness today seems to think we can treat them as civilized citizens of the world and make them like us. The turnaround in thinking the last few months has halted the advances ISIS made over the summer. My hope is the countries of the Middle East will unite to fight this cancer....or just let Israel solve it.

When is Europe the Middle East going to get disgusted enough to go do something about it?

We may have helped create this specific problem but the roots of it go back a long ways. Ultimately it's a Middle East problem . . . but many of them have more in common than different with ISIS. (Saudi Arabia in particular.)

But in general, ISIS is massively overhyped. They are far more adept at messaging than they are at fighting. That's not to say that they would be easily eradicated but rather that they are really only successful when they're filling a vacuum.

The only thing we did was create that vacuum by taking out someone who was almost as bad as these pathetic human beings are. You are right, this problem goes back waaaay longer than just since they started hitting the news cast in the last 18 months. This cancer has fermented in these societies for centuries.

One reason why I really am pretty cold to all of this is that these societies live like this and when one group gets beat down, they support another one to raise up and do the same thing. Deep down, one heck of a lot of people in this area of the world, don't see a problem living like this.

That is why I am absolutely totally against getting involved with this ISIS/ISIL crap with the military. Now, if people from that area want to raise up against it....GREAT!!!! I'm all for supporting their efforts from a long long long ways away.

But....here's the problem. These people are trying and trying and trying to drag us and the western world into this mess. That is why they keep cutting American's heads off on TV and the internet. They want us to become so emotional about it we send over troops and we get into a fight with them.

At this point, the press just needs to leave. Why even report on their actions? Why put yourself in harms way to be captured and killed trying to drag Americans into a war? These animals don't care about you or that you might actually report something that helps their cause.

However, my fear is that when that doesn't work, they will keep trying to drag us in with bigger and bigger disgusting acts. The last time, it took a major terrorist attack to get Americans involved in that area of the world. At some point, they will try it again to accomplish that goal.

Isis is not much different than Boko Harem. Same extremist viewpoints, similarly bloodthirsty, treats women about the same. I guess Isis just has a better propaganda arm? Or because they're in the Middle East the media knows people have been conditioned to be more afraid of that region so it gets better ratings to publicize them instead of Africans?

• Fire 3

That is why I am absolutely totally against getting involved with this ISIS/ISIL crap with the military. Now, if people from that area want to raise up against it....GREAT!!!! I'm all for supporting their efforts from a long long long ways away.

You and me both, brother. We can't fix this problem.

• Fire 1

Isis is not much different than Boko Harem. Same extremist viewpoints, similarly bloodthirsty, treats women about the same. I guess Isis just has a better propaganda arm? Or because they're in the Middle East the media knows people have been conditioned to be more afraid of that region so it gets better ratings to publicize them instead of Africans?

Better propaganda, oil money, land they are on is worth a lot more.

Better propaganda, oil money, land they are on is worth a lot more.

Just another side benefit of getting oil prices to drop considerably.

ShawnWatson nailed why they're more well-known. They're richer and more technologically capable of self-promotion.

Are those of you against military response against the drone bombings? I don't see the harm in those if we carry them out correctly. If we have credible intel that we're going to be taking out the bad guys instead of the good guys, I think it'll do nothing but good. I think it sends the tone that we're not going to tolerate their crap, but at the same time we're not going to be baited into sending our boys over onto their soil.

You're right, Buster, more American bloodshed is exactly what they want. Or bloodshed from anyone, really. They're just friggin' bullies with maniacal agendas.

I think we and the other world powers should team up using long-range attacks and turn ISIS into our personal Private Pyle.