Harbaugh to Michigan

ladyhawke

Michigan saw this with Hoke too.

Saw what? Are you talking record? I guess maybe one season we were 5-1? I'm not sure how you can compare the job the two coaching staffs did/have done.

Hoke's first year they went 11-2 Including beating Notre Dame and Ohio State as well as winning their bowl game. Then people figured out how to play against him.

Harbaugh is on a completely different level than Hoke.

• Fire 2

Saw what? Are you talking record? I guess maybe one season we were 5-1? I'm not sure how you can compare the job the two coaching staffs did/have done.

Hoke's first year they went 11-2 Including beating Notre Dame and Ohio State as well as winning their bowl game. Then people figured out how to play against him.

Very well may be the case, but the administration screwed Rodriguez and possibly screwed Hoke. The administration is no longer there, so things very well may change, but we don't know yet. Harbaugh's biggest successes in the Pac10 were against teams without a real defense and it looks like he may have broken that stigma, but we really need to wait until year two to find out. In the meantime, he might as well ride the new train for all it's worth.

Nah, Hoke had Robinson to carry the team for a while, once he was gone so was the offense, the style was entirely different as well, not to mention he is not a 10th the coach or motivator Harbaugh is or the coaching crew Harbaugh put together. Also with hoke we were good for 3 turn overs minimum per game.

This team on the other hand is tasty, this is a team coached with focus on fundamentals. Disciplined and a unit. Power running, damn I missed that(as much as helmet stickies), that offensive line is so in sync, mind you, it's virtually the same guys from last year who could not open any lanes at all. Steady qb(though he is lousy with a long ball). And that defense and it's rather incredible stats, damn do I love a great defense.

Hoke had talent on he's teams, but didn't not develop it, Harbaugh and he's crew obviously have. Will he always have a great year? of course not, Bo Schembechler had some off seasons, it happens. But this is as good as it get's for us as Jim is a talented disciple of the old school and I like Bo type of old school.

Very well may be the case, but the administration screwed Rodriguez and possibly screwed Hoke. The administration is no longer there, so things very well may change, but we don't know yet. Harbaugh's biggest successes in the Pac10 were against teams without a real defense and it looks like he may have broken that stigma, but we really need to wait until year two to find out. In the meantime, he might as well ride the new train for all it's worth.

He took over a Stanford team that hadn't been to a bowl game since 2001, and led them to an Orange Bowl victory in only four years. He beat USC 3 out of 4 times, twice against Carrol. Then he goes to a dumpster fire in San Francisco and leads them to a NFC championship three straight years. Add on that he's a Michigan guy, how could he be more perfect for the job? The guy can flat out coach, I know you may be in denial that Michigan is on the way back, but they're coming for Ohio State whether you're ready or not.

• Fire 2

I felt like there were 3 games in the 11-2 season that Michigan had some lucky breaks. Felt more like it should have been 9-4 season. This team seems more real but we will see. Angst. I have a lot of MSU and OSU friends/neighbors. I got comments regarding patience after Utah. Then congrats on how it must be nice to win after ore St and unlv. After BYU, the football talk stopped. After this weekend I would call it avoidance. The MSU guys don't want to talk football anymore.

I felt like there were 3 games in the 11-2 season that Michigan had some lucky breaks. Felt more like it should have been 9-4 season. This team seems more real but we will see. Angst. I have a lot of MSU and OSU friends/neighbors. I got comments regarding patience after Utah. Then congrats on how it must be nice to win after ore St and unlv. After BYU, the football talk stopped. After this weekend I would call it avoidance. The MSU guys don't want to talk football anymore.

Exactly. This team feels more "real" than any I can honestly remember. You can point to 2006 but even then they had this weird, hard-to-descriibe softness that showed up against good offenses. I'm not feeling that yet. Also we haven't played any good offenses yet this years so..we'll see but I like the mood of the program right now.

I'm not saying that Harbaugh won't be great at Michigan. Maybe he will. I just think it's premature to assume his immediate success is long term.

I hope it is long term. He's a great coach and he's good for the B1G.

Given his past success at the college level, Michigan's success on the field this year under his guidance and that recruiting class he's put together of course it can be too early to assume but he isn't doing anything in his first year to make you not believe he isn't going to be a success I think that's pretty evident. Compared to last years team under Hoke I'd say he with ease is already proving it was a great hire.

If Harbaugh loses to OSU and MSU, and maybe struggles to win or gets beat by Penn St, does the shine come off a bit?

The shine will certainly come off. However the future would still be very bright. Many expected Michigan to be in the rebuilding stage this year, today they are number 3 in the Sagarin ratings. Losing to Penn St with that Michigan defense seems incredibly unlikely. That Penn St. offensive line is awful, but I guess any given Saturday

• Fire 1

If Harbaugh loses to OSU and MSU, and maybe struggles to win or gets beat by Penn St, does the shine come off a bit?

Sure, to an extent, but this sort of start was not expected so really it's all a bonus. If MSU wins Saturday, it's ok, personally I like what I'm seeing and the team is developing an identity, so the shine is more about long term to me. Also peeps need to keep in mind this is not just Harbaugh on the coaching staff, he put together a heck of a group and managed to keep Mattison(very good ex defense coach) as a defensive line coach somehow. There is top program and NFL experience on that staff and whatever good may happen is a sum of many parts.

Preseason, people expected losses to Utah, MSU, MInn, PSU, and OSU, four of whom are still on the schedule. So the current record is not unexpected, but Minn and PSU are struggling a bit. From here on out, if UofM loses 2 more, its still a successful year given the expectations. If they lose 4 more, I would be bummed, but still excited for the future.