OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I'm not sure what is more fascinating...

1) the fact that he comes across as a petulant teenager bitching about how his parents grounded him for no reason

2) his apparent complete inability to temper the emotions of a group of young men who needed a calming voice and some kind of message to help them move ahead

3) or Bo's complete ineptitude in even HAVING a coherent message after two days to think about it. He may have his players' 'back', but is it any wonder why the players lack direction on the field? That was a truly misguided rambling.

Best soundbite of the day:

'This stays here, fellas'

POTY.

This comes a week after Sipple went on Sharp and Benning and insinuated that Shawn Eichorst and Barry Alvarez conspired together in order to bring Riley to Lincoln and set Gary Andersen up with the OSU job in order to get an Alvarez protege (Chryst) the head job. I mean what. the. f#*k.

The LJS needs to fire Sipple. He's totally irresponsible and unprofessional in his coverage of Nebraska and Pelini.

That's pretty harsh. You don't have to agree with Sipple, I normally don't, but it's a GOOD thing to have a different voice sometimes. Are his opinions or analysis always correct? No. But calling for a newspaper to fire a journalist who's main purpose is writing opinion pieces about sports? C'mon. The whole point of the sports section is to spark some water-cooler discussion with you and your coworkers or with your buddies.

These players loved Bo and looked up to him. That's the position he was placed in by the university.

He set a stunningly disgusting example for them. There's no excuse for it, however mad or wronged he was.

The content of the tape is bad enough. The tone and the reception only make it more chilling. What kind of program do we have here in Lincoln, courtesy of the outgoing coach?

I would definitely say I was uncomfortable listening to it. And I would bet more than a few players felt the same way.

• Fire 2

Listening to it he did have some good point in there but in my personal and professional opinion you go about it a different way.

What he did was just drive a divide between the players and the administration. That is inexcusable. Having coached on a college level I have seen coaches get fired. When that happens you meet with the team, tell them to respect the next staff and that the firing had nothing to do with the. You give thanks and say that in the end everyone will land on their feet.

I get that he is pissed off about the administration but sometimes you have to grow up, act like an adult and swallow your pride. The worst thing the players can do going into next year is not have their head on right and allow themselves to get beat by players brought in by the new coaching staff.

I've seen too many good solid athletes get dismissed from a team under a new coaching staff because they allowed grudges to build to the point where they became toxic to have in the locker room. I am worried that a few good players here may suffer the same fate after this.

• Fire 1

I'm not sure what is more fascinating...

1) the fact that he comes across as a petulant teenager bitching about how his parents grounded him for no reason

2) his apparent complete inability to temper the emotions of a group of young men who needed a calming voice and some kind of message to help them move ahead

3) or Bo's complete ineptitude in even HAVING a coherent message after two days to think about it. He may have his players' 'back', but is it any wonder why the players lack direction on the field? That was a truly misguided rambling.

Best soundbite of the day:

'This stays here, fellas'

so much of it is so bizarre. bo's pity for himself and not getting enough support. wondering what he was doing here. just coach football, man. no one is out to get you. and what did he want from the AD? seriously. what is he talking about? did he really want the AD hanging around practices and the locker? what would he have said then?

then when he talked about core values. again, what is he talking about? and the only value of bo's seems to be blind loyalty to incompetence. his incessant need for support, which what that exactly means is vague. and what did he do to foster a relationship with the AD. and why could he not just coach? just worry about the upcoming games. he has only himself for getting so wrapped up in any other drama, mostly self-created.

just bizarre.

I'm blown away that there's still anyone defending Bo at this point. It's honestly laughable.

Just look at the mere fact that instead of spending the last 30 minutes he'll ever have with this team telling them how much he appreciated them and wishing his players well, he instead spent it calling the AD a "c***" and making sure everyone knew that he (Bo) was right. That's all you need to know.

Exactly! So well said.

Contrast what Bo has said publicly (nothing) to what the administration has said:

Coach Pelini, I have great respect for him. He’s a good football coach and a good man. It wasn’t a lack of effort by him or his staff or our wonderful players.

On what he wants people to know about Bo Pelini

"I think we need to thank Coach Pelini for the service has provided to the University of Nebraska and the sacrifices that he has made."

Shawn Eichorst gave every opportunity for Bo to make a classy, cordial exit. Bo declined in the way that only Bo could.

Those were eichort's public words. Bo's public words were nothing like this. As I expect eichort's private words would also be nothing like this.

Everyone should thank Bo for turning the program back in the right direction from the pederson-callahan debacle instead of bashing him.

We owe Pelini a lot less than he owes us. We gave him far more than his ability, experience, and character deserved.
Yeah, I guess turning around a bad team, no cheating, graduating players, having players love him doesn't deserve a simple thanks or good luck. Or at least not a ripping.

I guessing you don't follow Scott Shanle on twitter

You mean the Scott Shanle who never played for Pelini? Yes and I do follow nate gerry, michael rose, valentine, finnin, Rex Burkhead, etc....... who actually played for him and all said Pelini was the best coach they've ever had.

Contrast what Bo has said publicly (nothing) to what the administration has said:

Coach Pelini, I have great respect for him. He’s a good football coach and a good man. It wasn’t a lack of effort by him or his staff or our wonderful players.

On what he wants people to know about Bo Pelini

"I think we need to thank Coach Pelini for the service has provided to the University of Nebraska and the sacrifices that he has made."

Shawn Eichorst gave every opportunity for Bo to make a classy, cordial exit. Bo declined in the way that only Bo could.

Those were eichort's public words. Bo's public words were nothing like this. As I expect eichort's private words would also be nothing like this.

That's right.

Bo's public equivalent of Eichorst's olive branch:

Bo's most recent public statements pertaining to Nebraska:

(Tressel is) a president who understands football, who's going to support me, something I don't know if I've ever had.

Classless. And with Bo, par for the course. We as a fanbase owe him zero loyalty. He's certainly offered none.

He's tried to torch this place twice on the way out. He refers to this place with a word that doubles as meaning a female dog. I'm sure he's glad he's out of here, and that feeling is mutual.

• Fire 1

This comes a week after Sipple went on Sharp and Benning and insinuated that Shawn Eichorst and Barry Alvarez conspired together in order to bring Riley to Lincoln and set Gary Andersen up with the OSU job in order to get an Alvarez protege (Chryst) the head job. I mean what. the. f#*k.

The LJS needs to fire Sipple. He's totally irresponsible and unprofessional in his coverage of Nebraska and Pelini.

That's pretty harsh. You don't have to agree with Sipple, I normally don't, but it's a GOOD thing to have a different voice sometimes. Are his opinions or analysis always correct? No. But calling for a newspaper to fire a journalist who's main purpose is writing opinion pieces about sports? C'mon. The whole point of the sports section is to spark some water-cooler discussion with you and your coworkers or with your buddies.

Sipple has demonstrated time and again that he is incapable of rational thought or objectivity when covering the program and Pelini. It has nothing to do with having a different opinion.