OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Now, last night I listened to the Sharp/Benning podcast. Didnt get a chance to hear it live. And I may be in the wrong on this sentiment, but I've never heard such a damn thing, and in my opinion, it's just mind boggling. Segment 1, right at 2 minutes in. Sharp and Benning go on to talk about how that meeting resembled phone calls they had received from Bo about a point they had made. Benning says "you talkin bout when he called me?", and Sharp say, "oh no, I've received one of them too". And they discribe how the calls start out as a cuss filled rant, then into a normal conversation, and then a nice cordial goodbye. To me, this is just sickening. I mean....c'mon. Is this normal practice? A coach calling media trying to control messages? I dont even know what the points were that lead to them, but does that even matter? To me, it says all there needs to be said about Bo's handling of things. You wonder how many times he called Dirk, Shatel, McKewon and the bunch. I mean, it's not like he's calling Davison or Greg Sharp and controlling a message he can control at the network. He called guys in Omaha with technically no ties to the program and the freedom to say what they want. Bo crumbled bigtime under the pressure of this job. You just cant allow the outside noise to penetrate the team like that. No wonder we've been so up and down and mentally soft. No wonder the media, especially the Omaha bunch, had a tendancy to push his buttons.

I think if they wanted to, many many more members of our local media could relate similar stories about those Bo phone calls. Being professionals they choose not to.

While I will agree that some members of our local media have taken things to an unreasonable extreme sometimes, I can think of only one instance where I thought a line was crossed. And even then it wasn't that bad, and that person issued an explanation/apology of sorts the next day.

Bo, meanwhile, has had incident after incident, unfortunately many times in front of cameras, that he has had to apologize for. Between the head coach of a major Power Five program and a local journalist, it's pretty obvious who should be held to a higher standard.

That's really unfortunate Knapp. And Immature. Like I said, to let that stuff into the lockerroom to the point where youre calling folks that are 100% independant of reporting for the University like 1620 is, that is just ludicrous. Calling talking heads and chewing them out for something they said? I mean cmon. No wonder our guys were mentally fatigued. I mean, I'm still in awe as I type this that that sh#t actually happened. I really cant believe it. And there's no way in hell that's standard procedure among coaches, trying to control an outside message and/or correcting independant reports and opinions like that. To me it's a crock of sh#t. Now, if it is common, I beg of someone to correct me.

How does he even have time to keep up with who said what? I mean, I can't even catch most shows, its just a few minutes here and there and they might be talking about basketball anyway. Maybe if he spent less time worrying about it..... whatever, he is gone.

That time should have been spent watching film of the three plays Wisconsin used over and over to destroy our defense, and devising a way to stop them.

Now, last night I listened to the Sharp/Benning podcast. Didnt get a chance to hear it live. And I may be in the wrong on this sentiment, but I've never heard such a damn thing, and in my opinion, it's just mind boggling. Segment 1, right at 2 minutes in. Sharp and Benning go on to talk about how that meeting resembled phone calls they had received from Bo about a point they had made. Benning says "you talkin bout when he called me?", and Sharp say, "oh no, I've received one of them too". And they discribe how the calls start out as a cuss filled rant, then into a normal conversation, and then a nice cordial goodbye. To me, this is just sickening. I mean....c'mon. Is this normal practice? A coach calling media trying to control messages? I dont even know what the points were that lead to them, but does that even matter? To me, it says all there needs to be said about Bo's handling of things. You wonder how many times he called Dirk, Shatel, McKewon and the bunch. I mean, it's not like he's calling Davison or Greg Sharp and controlling a message he can control at the network. He called guys in Omaha with technically no ties to the program and the freedom to say what they want. Bo crumbled bigtime under the pressure of this job. You just cant allow the outside noise to penetrate the team like that. No wonder we've been so up and down and mentally soft. No wonder the media, especially the Omaha bunch, had a tendancy to push his buttons.

I think if they wanted to, many many more members of our local media could relate similar stories about those Bo phone calls. Being professionals they choose not to.

While I will agree that some members of our local media have taken things to an unreasonable extreme sometimes, I can think of only one instance where I thought a line was crossed. And even then it wasn't that bad, and that person issued an explanation/apology of sorts the next day.

Bo, meanwhile, has had incident after incident, unfortunately many times in front of cameras, that he has had to apologize for. Between the head coach of a major Power Five program and a local journalist, it's pretty obvious who should be held to a higher standard.

That's really unfortunate Knapp. And Immature. Like I said, to let that stuff into the lockerroom to the point where youre calling folks that are 100% independant of reporting for the University like 1620 is, that is just ludicrous. Calling talking heads and chewing them out for something they said? I mean cmon. No wonder our guys were mentally fatigued. I mean, I'm still in awe as I type this that that sh#t actually happened. I really cant believe it. And there's no way in hell that's standard procedure among coaches, trying to control an outside message and/or correcting independant reports and opinions like that. To me it's a crock of sh#t. Now, if it is common, I beg of someone to correct me.

This kind of stuff happens with people who are not stable emotionally and mentally.

The guy has issues that he seriously needs to get to work on.

There have been many accusations of being part of the tinfoil hat crowd on this board. I think Bo has proven that he has the biggest and brightest tinfoil hat of all.

With the stuff coming out about what he was like here with the press, it makes Dirk's articles and attitude more and more understanding. I tend to have a personality that doesn't allow people like Bo to just do something like that and let it lie. I will continue to do what I'm supposed to do and if some childish idiot doesn't like it it's their problem. Kind of sounds like Dirk had the same attitude about Bo.

• Fire 3

It leaves me scratching my head why people are coming out saying they don't trust Shawn Eichorst. Really, what has he done to not have your trust? Repeatedly, we have witnessed Bo not controlling his temper. We have heard one audio tape already of him having absolutely no respect for the fans and administration to the point of him being an immature idiot.

So.....Shawn fires him and all of a sudden we shouldn't trust him?

That makes no sense to me.

I'm scratching my head why people think SE is trustworthy. A good potion of what he has said is lies (see my prior posts and others if you want more detailed break down of why we don't trust him). Firing a coach that has never won less then 9 games in every year he coached and replacing him with one who went 5-7 doesnt make sense to me.

I'm struggling to find posts where someone gave factual information on why I should not trust Eichorst. Can you list the post numbers so I can go back and read them?
I don't know the post number (as I do this from my phone) but I cut and pasted one response I made below:

I, with very limited exposure to SE, have ever reason to doubt SE. A significant amount of what he said in the press conference has turned out to be false

Such as?

I don't have time right now to review the entire conference but of the top of my head (with a little help for the Internet)-

That he likes Bo

That they will honor offers (Dilliman and JW)

That he just made the decision the night before he fired him

The the firing was cordial

That he was clear as to what his standards were

That his number one concern was on the student athletes (he brought security guards with him)

He wanted to listen to what Bo had to say

That he has been supportive and optimistic all the way until the end

Didn't even talk to Osborne prior to firing Bo (not false, but disrespectful and shortsighted)

Ect

I don't have time, but could continue. Yes, I know you will dispute a number of these, but as it is impossible to "prove" who is right and wrong (to a large extent) so arguing of each will accomplish little. So I will leave it with that.

All but the Dillman and JW situations are pure speculation or taken from what Bo has said. Well, I've seen and heard enough from Bo to realize I'm not exactly going to trust what he says.

What do you want him to say at the press conference? "Hey, I had a meeting with Bo. He was pissed and yelled at me and was really angry and called me names and doesn't think I'm doing my job right...bla bla bla....."

Yes, as I said in the above post, it is impossible to know definitely who's telling the truth, but the facts strongly suggest he isn't. And yes, I don't expect him to bring up things in a negative light, but there are ways to not address things that way and not lie. He volunteered that he likes Bo personally. Do you really believe that?

On the Dilliman/JW situation, they have both stated publicly that their scholarships have been withdrawn. Now, that could be due to admission standards or grade issues, or something else that has nothing to do with SE or Riley. But the fact their scholarships have been withdrawn is not disputed or speculative. (Incidentally, Bo, to my knowledge, hasn't said anything about that situation.).

I am quite confident that Bo could have easily gotten a coordinator position at a prominent school if he had chosen that.

Maybe. Why not a HC job at a prominent school, eh?

Because those jobs are hard to come by and most wouldn't think Bo is ready right now (in large part due to recent (last couple of years) history.

I also believe he could have gotten a head coach position at a less prominent D1 school as well.

Probably. He may well be good enough for a school like Kansas.

I remember when people on this board would get quite concerned that another program would steal him away (Ohio state, miami, etc.).

Yes, and that was years ago when it still looked like we were close to getting over the hump. Time had a way of dispelling that notion . . . and dispensing any other potential suitors.

Head coach at a school like Kansas isn't a bad gig. It's just not a premier gig, and yes recent history has hurt Bo chances of getting such a gig.

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

I agree about liking Bo more from this, I know that's not popular...and I am glad he's gone, but still nice to see someone who doesn't just do the "company" good-bye and act like everything was fine. Why do we have to be so "PC" all the time, it's like everyone freaks out when someone speaks their mind. If he was working at McDonalds and left that job with a rant like this, we would all say "good job" but when it's a university position and comes with a million dollar salary everyone thinks he has to act a certain way...I like his passion.
Big difference between passion and being a childish jerk off who had the support of one of the most loyal fan bases in the country even after he crapped on us by calling us fair weather and telling us to f ourselves.
Had the support of one of the most loyal fan base? You must be joking. There was a clear divide. (and for the last time, he wasn't refering to all fans in the quote you mention).

How bad of a coach are you if you can't win unless 100% of the fan base supports you?

And which came first: The poor performances (on and off the field) or the erosion of fan support?

Again, what you Bolievers don't get is that it that your theory rests on the ridiculous proposition that half the fan base and the media and the administration arbitrarily and coincidentally all woke up one morning and decided to hate on Bo for no good reason, and that this spontaneous, widespread disdain for Bo manifested as poor results on the field that would not have otherwise occurred. It's truly insane.

Except that's not what I believe (and i doubt anyone believes). I just dont think it's easy to consistently win national championships, and that going 9-3 isn't the end of the world. Most fan bases would be good with having no less then 9 wins in each of the past 7 years. Look at Michigan, Florida, Texas, Usc, miami, etc. and compare how they have performed over that same period. Do you think they don't want to win? The point is its hard.

Yes, a lot of those loses hurt. Hurt bad (especially the ones against Wisconsin). But each of those teams also had tough losses. Look at Wisconsin on the championship game this year vs a third string QB with no real prior experience. 59-0. You don't think that hurt the fans of Wisconsin? That's the point.

I'm glad you brought up Wisconsin. How many CCGs has that program won over the past few years? How many Rose Bowl appearances? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Michigan play in the Sugar Bowl during Hoke's tenure? Did Mack Brown play for a couple national titles and win one on the way?

Sure the blowout losses happen. But for most coaches, they are offset by championships or other tangible barometers of success. For Bo, there was nothing to offset those games. And the blowouts kept coming. Wisconsin's had one epic Pelini-style meltdown in the how long? Pelini was good for at least one a year.

Literally the only thing you could say about him is 9 wins. But at what cost? I would gladly take 10 straight 8-4 seasons if it meant no more than a rare blowout and, more importantly, a head coach that doesn't act like a complete asshat.

You are selectively pointing out things to highlight your point. I could easily do the same and show you substantially more heart ache for the teams I mentioned above.

I'll wait. Also, I'm not sure what point you think you're making (going to make?) with Michigan and Florida, both of whom just fired their coach.

I will say that the one thing you do have going for you is the way Bo was snatched up by an elite Division 1, "Power 5" program that couldn't believe Nebraska turned him loose so they could snatch him up. I'll admit that is a sticking point for my argument.

I will address the sticking point, as I find it hard to believe (and frankly don't have the time) to not see the tough losses and hard times the notable programs I mentioned before have encountered.

With regard to the sticking point, I am quite confident that Bo could have easily gotten a coordinator position at a prominent school if he had chosen that. I also believe he could have gotten a head coach position at a less prominent D1 school as well. I remember when people on this board would get quite concerned that another program would steal him away (Ohio state, miami, etc.). I think he wanted a change, and living in his hometown with an administrator he trusted felt like the right choice to him. I'm surprised he didn't take time off and/or join the espn crew for a while (this is a joke, but it would have been hilarious to have him on there show regularly), but I guess he felt this was the right choice for him and his family at this time.

(Oh, and yes, he got a job pretty quick. Quicker then most.)

Look....I feel for you man.

I've been there. I have supported and argued for Bo to have more time for the last 7 years. But, events from the last 12-18 months have proven to me that change was needed. It's time to move on and just because a guy you liked got fired, doesn't mean that everyone above him is a dirt ball that can't be trusted. It's a business decision that needed to be made.

Bo has major issues that, unless he figures them out, it will keep him from being a HC at a major school again. It's not just a matter of disrespecting your bosses. It prevents him from effectively leading a team and relating with people outside the program like the fans. It prevents him from being an effective leader in the heat of battle in the biggest games on the biggest stage.

Point taken.

I salute your reasonable discourse on the subject. Truly.

If Bo Pelini were more like you, Dag, none of this would have happened.

Most of the time when I'm pissed off, I don't act rationally and use profanities, so I'm not so sure. Live and learn.

Re: Miami, and others (Arkansas? etc), I suspect Bo delighted in letting the rumor mill spin a little bit in the hopes that Nebraska admins and fans would sweat at the thought of Bo leaving. I mean, he who expressed this sentiment explicitly.

It doesn't mean he was a serious contender for these jobs; I suppose we won't know.

How do you feel about him lying about the circumstances of Osborne's departure?

I don't believe for one second that he lied about that. Did he go off the rails in other areas? Yeah. But, there was quite a bit of smoke regarding Harvey when Osborne abruptly announced his retirement. Harvey has quite the ego, and we know Tom won't throw anyone under the bus.
So you think Osborne is lying?

He resigned in leu of being forced out. It's a technicality, but it's not a lie.

Q: Were you forced out as A.D.?

Osborne: I wasnt forced out. I resigned. And thats the end of the story.

I don't trust Harvey at all, and I have little trust in Shawn.

And the fact that they didn't consult with Osborne before firing Bo should give you an indication of the amount of respect they have for his opinion.

Osborne is retired, why do we need to keep consulting his opinion? And what happens when the inevitable happens and he buys the farm? Do we then hire a Medium to contact him in the spirit word when we need to make decisions?

He's retired, let the man be.

And anyway, everyone knows the great Barry Alvarez has all the answers. Heck, he might as well come down here and coach.