OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Having been a Husker fan for 43 years I want to thank Coach Pelini for stopping the downward spiral started by Pederson and Callahan. That happened the first year Pelini took over. Thanks for the 3 or 4 good wins we had while you were here. The come back against Ohio State, the time we beat Wisconsin, or did we just piss them off?, because the next two times we played them they kicked the snot out of us. Of course, when they beat us this year it was probably was a good thing because we didn't have to play an Ohio State team that was probably still pissed off about our come back win. Thanks for the sideline tirades and the screaming at players after the player made a mistake or missed an assignment. This probably helped out our recruiting in a big way. Thanks for the highlight of your time at Nebraska being a touchdown scored by a little boy during the Spring Game. Thanks for the memories Bo, don't forget the cat.

T_O_B

Is Bo Pelini's opinion on S.E. any different from our own opinions before he fired Bo Pelini? Go back and look at the garbage that some of you guys wrote about the guy and look in the mirror. Granted, Bo should have some professionalism, but the man is entitled to his opinion, which isn't too far off from what we thought of the guy.

Are you really comparing a bunch of fans on a message board to a public figure making a speech in front of young impressionable boys?

Yes I am. Is there a problem with that?

Your reasoning, if I'm following, is that all people get angry

My reasoning is that there are different types of anger.

Cursing at a flat tire and kicking the car is useless, foolish anger.

Driving moneychangers out of the church is righteous anger.

I picked Christ because I thought that would be the epitome of righteous anger, but if it disturbs you then consider the example of the U.S. Army officers in WWII who found the extermination camps and ordered the nearby townsfolk to carry out and bury the corpses after touring the camp at gunpoint.

How does this tie into Pelini? My point was that it might be a false assumption to think that Pelini was lashing out because he felt helpless after being fired. He might be giving the players and everybody else a heads up that there might be problems with Eichorst and his boss, Harvey Perlman...the last guy being the one common denominator in the continuing soap opera/dumpster fire coaching carousel that started with the firing of Solich, for those of us keeping score.

Actually his contract has a non-disparagement clause in which he may now lose his buyout.

I know Chris Baker made a big deal about this on KFAB, but legal advice from a talk show host is worth every penny one pays for it. I don't see Eichorst voluntarily placing himself in the public eye in front of a lawyer and mob of reporters to pull this off, given his penchant to avoid contact with others.

Bo's moved on. Ha. That's a laughable concept. Hours before this transcript of a meeting that took place two weeks ago was released, he was still taking swipes at the Nebraska administration at his introductory press conference at his NEW job. Bo's moved on is a complete garbage concept and obviously not true. Does that mean we shouldnt move on? No. It is time to get over it now. This was the final twist of the dagger. But god damn it, dont tell me to get over it cuz Bo has. Pay the f#*k attention before you say sh#t like that.

I could have gone either way with the Pelini firing

There were very reasonable reasons he should have been fired

There were reasonable arguments for having him retained

Lots of things I liked about Bo, lots of things I didn't like about him

I said I would WAIT to determine my feelings or support/disagreement on the firing based on HOW BO RESPONDED and HANDLED THE EXIT

Well, he made my decision for me

While Im thankful he "stabilized" the program after Callahan, but he created a toxic environment under his watch that was unhealthy, destructive, childish and unwise

The signed picture I have of him with him looking over the stadium with Osborne and Devaney photoshoped into the background will be tossed in the trash

We deserve better- he is a disgrace to our state, our storied football program, coaching in general, himself and his family

One of the least self aware people I've ever met

Disappointing

In the end this childish tirade is a national embarrassment for NU

NU fans for the most part are supportive, courteous, knowledgeable and patient. Many like me supported Bo, were VERY uncomfortable with many of the things he did, but were on the fence about his firing.

He REVEALED his true nature for all to see- now all of those like me who were on the fence will be supportive of the regime change and look forward to seeing what a different approach might yield.

• Fire 1

So I'm just wondering, why is Bo telling his players to do what is best for them a bad thing? I still can't figure that one out.

The players should do what's best for them. As a NU fan, I'm not cool at all with him more or less trying to convince guys to leave. That's what that was, in a thinly-veiled way. He talked about how when he went through a coaching change at OSU, he stayed, but a lot of guys left. He talked about how hard and miserable this place was and then told players to really look at the few years they have left, how they're supposed to be the best years of their lives and not miserable, and to really think about what decision would make the most out of those years, and you know, going is totally fine if they are as miserable as he was with all the negativity.

Something he's built his program around being -- feeling under siege from media, former players, everyone.

I understand Bo was miserable here, but don't give that to the players, too.

The first time he left, he badmouthed NU and tried to get recruits to leave. This time he does this.

I find it really hard to reconcile that the Husker team we rooted for this year -- which Bo built -- consisted of a bunch of guys who sit there and laugh as their head coach calls NU administrators cowardly names. Find it really weird that some people are OK with this, but it's understandable. Bo inspires a lot of loyalty in people, and like he did with the players, he then makes it a "me or the school" issue.

• Fire 1

Matthew Hanson from the OWH with some great observations, via twitter.

Matthew Hansen @redcloud_scribe

There are reasons to criticize Harvey Perlman & UNL. There are reasons to praise him. Virtually none of it has anything to do with football.

A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

A fitting final chapter to Pelini Era. Bo raging to his players, calling boss obscene names, talking about values. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html

Here's a value: Modeling the behavior you want to see in 18-22-yr-olds as they become adults. Here's a value: Handling adversity with class.

Here's a value: Being able to look in mirror & accept at least some of the blame when things go bad. Here's a value: Don't use the c word.

• Fire 2

I dont even know if I'd say he stabilized us jmfb. We're as divided as ever. It's been CONSTANT drama under Bo. Always national news for all the wrong reasons. Now it's obvious he may have very well psychologically damaged this team beyond repair. And his on the field performace was as erratic and sh**ty at times as off.

I said it in a thread after he was fired. I bumped that thread yesterday in the light of this news. I had an eery feeling, only because I defended Bo as a coach, then continued to as a person till the bitter end and he was continuing to punch me in the gut and make me wrong, that someday we're gonna look back on this and say without a doubt that Bo was a hell of a lot more damaging to this program and culture than Callahan ever was. At least Callahan understood his shortfalls and left without taking that last piss in the well.

We're no where near a stabilized state at this point. Far from it.

I'm not sure who that Matthew Hansen chap is, I guess, but he nails it.

Also, Bo Pelini nails it when he says he "can't afford to get any dumber".

Also, telling people to "get over it" is a chickensh#t call. Personally, I love that Bo is gone and made an ass of himself on the way out. He doesn't represent the University anymore. We can laugh at him with the rest of the country now. I'm going to enjoy this, thank you very much.

• Fire 1