OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

To the people that say they don't like Eichorst as the AD because he's not "hands on" and just "sits in his office behind a desk" need to look at other programs around the country. ADs are not coaches and don't need to be involved in any aspect of it. Coaches are hired to do that.

Right. And when they are heavily involved (see Alvarez, Barry) you'll see coaches leaving for lesser jobs.

Let's all be honest here. This has nothing to do with Eichorst's hands off management style. That's just another way Bo manages to convince others to join him in blaming anyone or anything other than himself for his failures. Bo had a different AD for the five years before Eichorst with identical results. It's not the AD. It's not the fans. It's not the media. It's Pelini. Period.

• Fire 5

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.
I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

First, you say a coach's statements to his team are public. Now, you say they aren't his players. What are you smoking? I want some.

First, they don't get to decide that a factual statement is false.

Second, they weren't his team when he made those statements. At that time he was Mr. Pelini, former head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

But, please. Do go on telling us that a statement made to 100+ former affiliates was "private."

There is so many things wrong with your statements that I don't know we're to begin.

Let's assume that they are not his players and he wasn't there coach (as you imply). Under these circumstances, is his conversation with them (and not you) private? When you talk with your friends, is that private?

I just leave this with the following statement: you and I have different definitions of private.

We might very well have different definitions of private. That said, if your definition of private is a self-aggrandizing speech made to more than a hundred former associates . . . well my definition is more accurate than your own.

Well apparently the world disagrees with you.

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.

I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

First, you say a coach's statements to his team are public. Now, you say they aren't his players. What are you smoking? I want some.

First, they don't get to decide that a factual statement is false.

Second, they weren't his team when he made those statements. At that time he was Mr. Pelini, former head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

But, please. Do go on telling us that a statement made to 100+ former affiliates was "private."

There is so many things wrong with your statements that I don't know we're to begin.

Let's assume that they are not his players and he wasn't there coach (as you imply). Under these circumstances, is his conversation with them (and not you) private? When you talk with your friends, is that private?

I just leave this with the following statement: you and I have different definitions of private.

We might very well have different definitions of private. That said, if your definition of private is a self-aggrandizing speech made to more than a hundred former associates . . . well my definition is more accurate than your own.

Well apparently the world disagrees with you.

:lol:

I'm not sure what is more fascinating...

1) the fact that he comes across as a petulant teenager bitching about how his parents grounded him for no reason

2) his apparent complete inability to temper the emotions of a group of young men who needed a calming voice and some kind of message to help them move ahead

3) or Bo's complete ineptitude in even HAVING a coherent message after two days to think about it. He may have his players' 'back', but is it any wonder why the players lack direction on the field? That was a truly misguided rambling.

Best soundbite of the day:

'This stays here, fellas'

so much of it is so bizarre. bo's pity for himself and not getting enough support. wondering what he was doing here. just coach football, man. no one is out to get you. and what did he want from the AD? seriously. what is he talking about? did he really want the AD hanging around practices and the locker? what would he have said then?

then when he talked about core values. again, what is he talking about? and the only value of bo's seems to be blind loyalty to incompetence. his incessant need for support, which what that exactly means is vague. and what did he do to foster a relationship with the AD. and why could he not just coach? just worry about the upcoming games. he has only himself for getting so wrapped up in any other drama, mostly self-created.

just bizarre.

His call for "support" reminds me of a lot of the discussions here where people accuse others of not supporting the team or that they will support the team. I asked on numerous occasions what that meant, and never got an answer. Buying gear, watching or listening to games, cheering, etc. didn't seem to constitute support. I got the idea that the ONLY way to support the team was to never criticize them, never believe that things should or could be better, and certainly never even talk about staff changes. Anything short of that left a person open to be accused of "not supporting the team." Yeah, some people crossed lines the other way, but I'm not talking about them. Bo seems to have had that mentality. I don't know how much more support he could have gotten. Awesome facilities, a huge paycheck, a gigantic budget, an incredibly loyal fan base (which provides the money that make all of those other things possible, btw), constant improvements to the stadium. I mean, what the hell else did he want? I can only think that he wanted the same sort of devotion from the fans and media that he got from his players.

• Fire 1

How do you feel about him lying about the circumstances of Osborne's departure?

I don't believe for one second that he lied about that. Did he go off the rails in other areas? Yeah. But, there was quite a bit of smoke regarding Harvey when Osborne abruptly announced his retirement. Harvey has quite the ego, and we know Tom won't throw anyone under the bus.

I don't believe for one second that he lied about that. Did he go off the rails in other areas? Yeah. But, there was quite a bit of smoke regarding Harvey when Osborne abruptly announced his retirement. Harvey has quite the ego, and we know Tom won't throw anyone under the bus.
So you think Osborne is lying?

He resigned in leu of being forced out. It's a technicality, but it's not a lie.

Q: Were you forced out as A.D.?

Osborne: “I wasn’t forced out. I resigned. And that’s the end of the story.”

I don't trust Harvey at all, and I have little trust in Shawn.

No, I think Osborne is declining to air his grievances.

I don't consider Osborne to have been in the right by default (in his issues with Harvey). I can understand why he'd be upset he didn't have more input (or total say) in anointing his successor. But Nebraska athletics has to move on without him at some point, and I think it's clear that we're (finally) in a good direction. Of course, opinions will vary.

I'm very glad we don't have a handpicked Osborne guy running the athletic department in the same way and with the same emphasis on protecting Bo. Tom did a lot of good things in his stint at AD, but that wasn't one of them.

I think TO cares enough about the program and the state to do whatever it takes to mend fences. It's a shame he trusted Bo. We didn't go after the best DC in the SEC when we hired Bo. We went for a guy we knew and now we all know who he is. That's the worst thing I can say about TO. To try and be fair, though, what he said about the hire was that BP was an accomplished defensive mind and was able to motivate his kids. The fire was something a lot of us liked until we were on the receiving end. The nation will remember TO for that two-point conversion and Lawrence Phillips. The nation will remember BP for the tirades. Do you think he'd rather have been fired for hitting the referee with his hat (if the swing trajectory had been a few inches different)? p.s. - I think it's reasonable for people to expect a leader to be more personable and outgoing (than it sounds like SE is) in a place like Nebraska.