OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Wanting a change at the top for widespread athletic dept dysfunction when only one coach was dysfunctional is absolutely hilarious.

So, you've been sleeping for a decade. I see.

Or you're blind to the present

So, there were no problems in the athletic department whatsoever until Bo was hired?

Harvey Perlman isn't in charge of the athletic dept. That's why there's been four athletic directors since 2002. I'd say at this point it's as unified and solid as it's ever been right now. Especially since the pariah has been sent to lower Ohio.

I just think it's funny that Bo thinks its remarkable that a chancellor and athletic director at a university are lawyer/politicians who think in terms of broad-level policy. It's like he thinks you can't be a man, much less an athletic director, unless you used to play football, preferably in Ohio, specifically Youngstown.

Could there be any more of a meathead mentality than this?

• Fire 2

Matthew Hansen @redcloud_scribe

A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

This. Good luck to those carrying on the 'down with Perlman' campaign. Haven't seen a person do this yet for reasons not motivated by dissatisfaction with the football program, but then, this is a football forum. So that's to be expected.

• Fire 1

Matthew Hanson from the OWH with some great observations, via twitter.

There are reasons to criticize Harvey Perlman & UNL. There are reasons to praise him. Virtually none of it has anything to do with football.

A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

A fitting final chapter to Pelini Era. Bo raging to his players, calling boss obscene names, talking about values. http://www.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-insults-a-d-shawn-eichorst-in-expletive-filled/article_b202b14a-8633-11e4-8c91-f3f5386da4f8.html …

Here's a value: Modeling the behavior you want to see in 18-22-yr-olds as they become adults. Here's a value: Handling adversity with class.

Here's a value: Being able to look in mirror & accept at least some of the blame when things go bad. Here's a value: Don't use the c word.

A million times, this.

when criticizing perlman, it seems like it is hard not to go back to athletics. and the point is that you should not do that.

but, what? was hiring pederson so bad? it certainly made sense at the time. didn't tom even bless it? and it did not work out. that happens. just like it happened with bo. just because it makes sense at the time does not mean it is infallible.

but, what legitimate gripes with perlman are there? and if they are athletics related, does he not deserve credit for the shape they are in now?

Full disclosure: Outside of the AAU thing, I'll admit I don't know as much on the academic side. I've heard bits and pieces from boosters down here (they don't like him), but I don't have enough info to expand.

I've already stated my opinion on his Athletic department. IMO, he also didn't do the best job in the B1G move, considering that other schools got full shares of revenue up front, and Nebraska did not.

• Fire 1

Wanting a change at the top for widespread athletic dept dysfunction when only one coach was dysfunctional is absolutely hilarious.

So, there were no problems in the athletic department whatsoever until Bo was hired?

Harvey Perlman isn't in charge of the athletic dept. That's why there's been four athletic directors since 2002. I'd say at this point it's as unified and solid as it's ever been right now. Especially since the pariah has been sent to lower Ohio.

Harvey is in charge of who was leading the AD, no? He signed off on Steve, Bill, Tom, and Bo, no?

And yeah, the department is unified now, just like it was in 2008 and 2004.

My hope, is that Riley hits it out of the park, and everyone can move on. We'll see how it goes.

when criticizing perlman, it seems like it is hard not to go back to athletics. and the point is that you should not do that.

but, what? was hiring pederson so bad? it certainly made sense at the time. didn't tom even bless it? and it did not work out. that happens. just like it happened with bo. just because it makes sense at the time does not mean it is infallible.

but, what legitimate gripes with perlman are there? and if they are athletics related, does he not deserve credit for the shape they are in now?

Full disclosure: Outside of the AAU thing, I'll admit I don't know as much on the academic side. I've heard bits and pieces from boosters down here (they don't like him), but I don't have enough info to expand.

I've already stated my opinion on his Athletic department. IMO, he also didn't do the best job in the B1G move, considering that other schools got full shares of revenue up front, and Nebraska did not.

The move to the B1G looked bad in hindsight but at the time was pretty appealing. The problem was he was stuck between a rock and a hard place with regards to the volatility of the B12.

Tom was in place when this hire was announced. The hire was made in mid October, by a big money deal, in part paying the buyouts of both Peterson and Callahan. Tom was brought in to settle the fan base. This was not Tom's choice, just like the firing of Bo. Money made the decision that he had to go, not wins or losses, but state of the program, the image of Nebraska.

All of this same stuff happened before Pelini left the first time, Dillard, Bullocks brothers(the kids did nothing wrong) were all involved with Bo and his continuous actions to undermine Callahan for months after he was gone. Came very close to NCAA infractions, I was told then.

That is why I was so shocked he was hired, and tagged to Coach Osborne. Callahan was to much of nice/smart guy to go after Bo. He knew the fans love for him. Would only make things worse for his program (opinions of people in the program at the time). Tom was aware of these things and wanted to go a different way, but his choice turned him down.

Alas 7 years of the same crap he was doing after he was notified the first time he left. He was poison then and pretty much the same now.

This is very interesting. I touched on this elsewhere but the sad truth of recent events is "we" hired BP because we knew him. We didn't just go for the best DC out of the SEC (as I think that would have meant at least giving Charlie Strong an interview) at the time. If we really knew BP, as I think we ALL do now, the hire's a real head-scratcher. The guy knows defense and can motivate the kids. The last part of that was a judgment from a short period of time in our backyard (and a longer period spent under greater head coaches).

Let's not go all revisionist history on the Bo hire. The guy was in the midst of winning a National Championship as DC of LSU. He was a hot name in college football.

Is Bo Pelini's opinion on S.E. any different from our own opinions before he fired Bo Pelini? Go back and look at the garbage that some of you guys wrote about the guy and look in the mirror. Granted, Bo should have some professionalism, but the man is entitled to his opinion, which isn't too far off from what we thought of the guy.

Are you really comparing a bunch of fans on a message board to a public figure making a speech in front of young impressionable boys?

That just made me laugh out loud. Depending on the topic and convo being had these guys go from adults who should know better, smart enough to steer clear of that, to young impressionable boys.

I also disagree that this "speech" was a slanderous rip job of the University. Bo called out TWO individuals that he didn't like and tore them apart. He never said anything negative about the school. And in my opinion trashing a school's AD doesn't equate to trashing a school. Everyone who's saying how he is attacking NU is off the mark, in my opinion.

Matthew Hansen @redcloud_scribe A plea: Quit looking through lens of football to judge leaders of Nebraska public universities. It makes you look silly and it makes me sad.

This. Good luck to those carrying on the 'down with Perlman' campaign. Haven't seen a person do this yet for reasons not motivated by dissatisfaction with the football program, but then, this is a football forum. So that's to be expected.

Chancellorboard.com has been crashing all morning too. He never should have approved an Amigos in the union.

The move to the B1G looked bad in hindsight but at the time was pretty appealing. The problem was he was stuck between a rock and a hard place with regards to the volatility of the B12.

Oh, I agree. I think that we were just so fed up with Texas and the Big 12, that they didn't negotiate the best deal for Nebraska because we just wanted out.

Harvey is in charge of who was leading the AD, no? He signed off on Steve, Bill, Tom, and Bo, no?

And yeah, the department is unified now, just like it was in 2008 and 2004.

My hope, is that Riley hits it out of the park, and everyone can move on. We'll see how it goes.

The dept was far from unified in those years.

And, you're out of order. It was Byrne (who made some reprehensible athletic decisions but was blocked by TO because he wanted to hire Stoops and TO insisted on Solich), then Pedersen (Osborne approved), the TO (overall pretty good) and now Eichorst.