Why isn't there as much public outrage with the cop killer...

NUance

Lineman aren't being threatened to be killed by people all over the country at this time.

Are you somehow saying that being threatened by people all over the country is worse than being killed at a higher rate?

You may not have come out and made a statement, but I can read between the lines and you even hinting at making that type of statement is real questionable.

You need not read between the lines when you have someone who can tell you that what you're saying is unequivocally wrong. Period.

Lineman aren't being killed by electricity just because of the clothes they wear to work.

Not sure how that is relevant but let me ask you a simple question: when discussing how dangerous a job is do you think it is offensive to ask how often (1) police are killed due to their own stupidity, (2) those in the military are killed due to their own stupidity, or (3) linemen (or insert some other line of work here if you prefer) are killed due to their own stupidity.

I have the same answer for each of those questions. Do you?

Think what you want Carl, you won't change your mind. You're just as stubborn as I am....

I agree that I'm every bit as stubborn as you but do you have the same answer for each of those questions?

Again . . . I do have the same answer for each . . . but you seeming to take offense at my hypothetical question and not walksalone's makes me wonder if you agree.

I don't take offense to it, just showing what the numbers say, while unfortunate if your own stupidity leads to your own death, well that is what it is...............

So it wouldn't offend you if you were talking about how many police officers die on duty and someone said "yeah, but how many of those were due to their own stupidity?"

I'd be surprised if that's accurate.

I'm scratching my head trying to taking a job where, if you do your job that is dangerous but if you follow the safety requirements you are supposed to follow, there is a very small chance you don't go home that night to your family and comparing that to a job when you wake up in the morning and tie your shoe laces you know there is a certain part of the population out there that hate you and if put in the right situation, would have absolutely no problem pumping your azz full of lead....and...oh by the way...you don't know who they are and you are required to possibly do what it takes to come in contact with them.

To me, those two aren't even close to comparable.

I'm scratching my head trying to taking a job where, if you do your job that is dangerous but if you follow the safety requirements you are supposed to follow, there is a very small chance you don't go home that night to your family and comparing that to a job when you wake up in the morning and tie your shoe laces you know there is a certain part of the population out there that hate you and if put in the right situation, would have absolutely no problem pumping your azz full of lead....and...oh by the way...you don't know who they are and you are required to possibly do what it takes to come in contact with them.

Other than the former being significantly more dangerous?

Other than the former being significantly more dangerous?

It's not the level of dangerous that is the issue.

I don't take offense to it, just showing what the numbers say, while unfortunate if your own stupidity leads to your own death, well that is what it is...............

So it wouldn't offend you if you were talking about how many police officers die on duty and someone said "yeah, but how many of those were due to their own stupidity?"

I'd be surprised if that's accurate.

Accidental is completely different than being stupid, but you can't seem to get that. Lineman, as is the example in this situation, die because they're not paying attention to what they're doing 99.9% of the time. Officers aren't in the same category, I've watched several videos where an officer simply gets killed for doing his job, not by not paying attention to what's going on. I don't get how you're not getting that?

Your numbers don't mean much without the context of how many linemen are employed compared to the number of police officers or servicemen/women.

Edit: Looks like there are around 100,000 linemen in the US. It looks like 30-50 linemen die on the job in a given year. So the chance of death is somewhere between .03% and .05%

Looks like there are around 1.1 million officers employed full time with about 765,000 of those as sworn officers. If we use the lower number of 765,000 and 130 deaths that gives any officer about a .017% chance of being killed in a given year.

So basically . . . linemen risk their lives to do their jobs at a rate somewhere between 2-3 times higher than police.

What's that mean? Not much. Linemen have a tough and dangerous job that they choose to do and we all benefit from it. Similarly, police officers have a tough and somewhat less dangerous job that they choose to do and we all benefit from it. I wouldn't be happy with people diminishing the risks taken by either.

So the fact that twice the number of linemen, between .3 and .5 percent of those employed, we should care more about them than the .17 percent of the police that are killed?

That's the officially the silliest sh*t I've heard today...

My neighbor is a lineman with NPPD and he is also a fellow fireman. He gives talks to the department about electrical safety and has stated that a majority of people killed by electricity in his line of work is because of error on that person's part. He said if you follow the proper guidelines to electrical safety for that job, it's not that dangerous. His son is a high line rider which is about as dangerous as you can get in the electrical business.

My neighbor is a lineman with NPPD and he is also a fellow fireman. He gives talks to the department about electrical safety and has stated that a majority of people killed by electricity in his line of work is because of error on that person's part. He said if you follow the proper guidelines to electrical safety for that job, it's not that dangerous. His son is a high line rider which is about as dangerous as you can get in the electrical business.

Exactly what I read on one of their boards, now it was from 2009 as the board doesn't appear to get much traffic, but regardless, that was in their own words. Hell I don't like changing a breaker in my house, but I'm sure a lineman wouldn't like making entry on a door to a residence while getting shot at either.

The approach to law enforcement by America's police are partly to blame for these deaths as well. Or "scheme" to put it in a football term. Nebraska's defensive scheme couldn't stop the run, and were getting historically gashed on the ground this year, all because of scheme. Teams that faced our opponents didn't fare nearly as badly as we did, and for the most part we had better athletes.

America's legal system and approach to law enforcement is very different than the rest of the world. It is not an accident that we have a much larger number of police officers KIA compared to our European counterparts, nor is it an accident that we have vastly more people incarcerated than other first-world nations.

Choose a better scheme/approach and you'll get better results, including fewer deaths of officers and citizens.

• Fire 1