GT: Nebraska at Iowa - 8PM - BTN

Two frames to look at this. I think both of you are right.

What teams our doing is sinking their zones in to the paint. This doesnt allow dribble penetration.

If you have a big guy working down low, the zone would hopefully collapse on him, or he would have an easy move to the hoop.

If the zone collapses, you have one pass to a wing guy, then hopefully the zone collapses on him, leaving a lane open for the next guy who gets the ball.

I believe i explained that correctly... basically a big will force them to focus on him, which allows for dribble penetration if you use him as a sort of screen.

Again, I fully understand the importance of a big man. I consider myself well-versed in basketball, and in his original post he stated the role of a big man in a dribble-drive scenario is to " open the lane for them for a layup ".... That's just wrong.

One of the reasons (not the only one) the Cavs didn't win the title the year they had Lebron, and Shaq is because Shaq's big ass was in the lane preventing Lebron from doing what he does best... Penetrating the paint, and getting to the rim.

It's actually of the utmost importance to get the big man out of the lane in a dribble-drive situation, that's why that position (Center, Power Forward) is almost always the position that sets the ball screen.

---- And by "getting the big man out of the lane" I don't mean make him stand behind the 3 pt. line, I just mean to get out of the paint.... Standing there waiting for a putback is not an offense....

Understood.

I took what he was saying as having a big man who can stay in the lane till the drive happens. Obviously if you are a 7'1 320 pounder standing in the lane with a 7'0 290 guy guarding you, you arent giving your guy much space to get to the hoop.

Having a big man down there and then get out of the way, drawing defense with him, opens up that drive.

Two frames to look at this. I think both of you are right.

What teams our doing is sinking their zones in to the paint. This doesnt allow dribble penetration.

If you have a big guy working down low, the zone would hopefully collapse on him, or he would have an easy move to the hoop.

If the zone collapses, you have one pass to a wing guy, then hopefully the zone collapses on him, leaving a lane open for the next guy who gets the ball.

I believe i explained that correctly... basically a big will force them to focus on him, which allows for dribble penetration if you use him as a sort of screen.

Again, I fully understand the importance of a big man. I consider myself well-versed in basketball, and in his original post he stated the role of a big man in a dribble-drive scenario is to " open the lane for them for a layup ".... That's just wrong.

One of the reasons (not the only one) the Cavs didn't win the title the year they had Lebron, and Shaq is because Shaq's big ass was in the lane preventing Lebron from doing what he does best... Penetrating the paint, and getting to the rim.

It's actually of the utmost importance to get the big man out of the lane in a dribble-drive situation, that's why that position (Center, Power Forward) is almost always the position that sets the ball screen.

---- And by "getting the big man out of the lane" I don't mean make him stand behind the 3 pt. line, I just mean to get out of the paint.... Standing there waiting for a putback is not an offense....

Understood.

I took what he was saying as having a big man who can stay in the lane till the drive happens. Obviously if you are a 7'1 320 pounder standing in the lane with a 7'0 290 guy guarding you, you arent giving your guy much space to get to the hoop.

Having a big man down there and then get out of the way, drawing defense with him, opens up that drive.

Exactly. Just cause he moves out of the box or to the back side or high post still puts him position to make a play on the rebound. Yes I am very well versed in B Ball and yes that is also basketball well...probably junior high. You have to move, anyway there is more than one way to play the game and of course you have to use the talent on the court correctly and unfortunately we don't have a big that can pop out and hit a 15 foot jumper and would be worthless out there considering he would then be out of position for a put back or just a rebound.