GT: Nebraska at Iowa - 8PM - BTN

Our offense is terrible. We were 3-10 away from the Vault last year. We're 1-2 in true road games this year with the one win being the only really good game we've played all year. Three of Iowa's losses are to teams currently in the Top 26. Cheering like crazy but not holding my breath.

NU is horrible and I do not think that Miles is anything more than just a average coach...But I do think that Nebraska wins this game.

I also love that they are getting 11 points...but I think they win and score in the high 70's

An average coach who took Nebraska to the NCAA Tournament in his second season?

post-6493-Jennifer-Lawrence-okay-thumbs-

NU is horrible and I do not think that Miles is anything more than just a average coach...But I do think that Nebraska wins this game.

I also love that they are getting 11 points...but I think they win and score in the high 70's

Iowa is a really really good team.

If we are horrible, we dont stand a chance here.

We arent horrible. We just havent figured out how to play with out our two bigs. Miles is a good coach, but he hasn't been showing it this year. He needs to get this offense to figure out how to play without an inside presence and work on ball rotation to set up shots compared to just shooting wherever.

It is basketball...you always stand a chance...All you gotta do is get hot for a bit. NU did it last year for a 3 week stretch...since then they have been .500...

And yes, Miles is an average coach, that is not a diss, most coaches are...I look at it as Great...Average...Bad...

Horrible teams beat decent teams all the time in conference play...usually not on the road but I think NU wins this one in pretty easy fashion..76-68

Miles needs to prove himself.

Last year he was great. This year, I agree he has been Average to below average.

Our ego's are causing us problems.

If they played team basketball, i guarantee they have 2-3 more wins this year(Rhode Island, Incarate Word and Hawaii)

This team's issues begin with the lack of the two most important positions on the court. They don't have a true PG. Those full court presses that teams have been applying are not magic. They are a fairly basic, on-ball press. A true PG to break those presses, and run an offense would do wonders with this team.... And they don't have a reliable big man. Not one real threat on the boards, and no reliable defense in the post. If a quality big man gets the ball down low against Nebraska, they'll score.

Those things considered, I think it speaks to how good of a coach Miles is that we're even as competitive as we are....

• Fire 1

This team's issues begin with the lack of the two most important positions on the court. They don't have a true PG. Those full court presses that teams have been applying are not magic. They are a fairly basic, on-ball press. A true PG to break those presses, and run an offense would do wonders with this team.... And they don't have a reliable big man. Not one real threat on the boards, and no reliable defense in the post. If a quality big man gets the ball down low against Nebraska, they'll score.

Those things considered, I think it speaks to how good of a coach Miles is that we're even as competitive as we are....

Good point. Tarin Smith could maybe work in to that. Tai is awful with pressure in his face. Benny has his moments, but isnt nifty with his passes..

If we could bring one guy back from the last 5 years to feel that PG void, it would have to be Lance Jeter.

Big man issue will continue to be a problem because Les and Moses graduate this year. Pitch needs to eventually accept he needs to get rebounds and play down low.

Good point. Tarin Smith could maybe work in to that. Tai is awful with pressure in his face. Benny has his moments, but isnt nifty with his passes..

If we could bring one guy back from the last 5 years to feel that PG void, it would have to be Lance Jeter.

Big man issue will continue to be a problem because Les and Moses graduate this year. Pitch needs to eventually accept he needs to get rebounds and play down low.

Don't even get me started on Pitchford. Rebounding the basketball is a mindset, an attitude.... Given his size there is zero reason he can't get between 8-11 rebounds a game. It just has to matter to him..... I meant to mention Smith in my original post. He definitely has that potential....

Don't even get me started on Pitchford. Rebounding the basketball is a mindset, an attitude.... Given his size there is zero reason he can't get between 8-11 rebounds a game. It just has to matter to him..... I meant to mention Smith in my original post. He definitely has that potential....

Pitchford has been the biggest disappointment on this team with Tai Webster being a distant second.

He seems disinterested in doing anything but throw up 3 pointers.

I question his work ethic, big time.

Pitchford has been the biggest disappointment on this team with Tai Webster being a distant second.

He seems disinterested in doing anything but throw up 3 pointers.

I question his work ethic, big time.

I agree. Webster tries really hard, I just don't think the talent is there, despite what we all originally thought.... I think he'll be solid in the future, but not what we had hoped...

And Pitchford.... Yeah....

Our biggest threat on offense last years and this year is dribble penetration. Without the bigs it makes it very difficult. You don't have anyone there to open the lane for them for a layup or the kickout which we haven't had this year. Pitchford isn't that guy in the middle and never will be. It will get better after we get one of them back. As far as Miles he needs to figure out something which coach k would have a hard time doing.

Our biggest threat on offense last years and this year is dribble penetration. Without the bigs it makes it very difficult. You don't have anyone there to open the lane for them for a layup or the kickout which we haven't had this year. Pitchford isn't that guy in the middle and never will be. It will get better after we get one of them back. As far as Miles he needs to figure out something which coach k would have a hard time doing.

Technically speaking, dribble penetration would be much easier without a big man in the lane ( or in the way).... The key to getting into the lane via the dribble is to stretch the floor. Your traditional big men, like the one's we are lacking, won't do that....

Big men to "open the lane for a layup" isn't something I've heard discussed in basketball circles.

Technically speaking, dribble penetration would be much easier without a big man in the lane ( or in the way).... The key to getting into the lane via the dribble is to stretch the floor. Your traditional big men, like the one's we are lacking, won't do that....

Big men to "open the lane for a layup" isn't something I've heard discussed in basketball circles.

Sorry but I totally disagree. We need someone in there to clear the lane and rub off the defender. We don't have a good enough pg to just clear out and win one on one. Missed layups and whining about contact is a huge factor there as well. Also when we do miss we have someone there to rebound, and if they start making the put backs they eventually sag making it easier for the shooters to get a good open look in rythem which they need badly. We don't have a true set shooter with Walter stinking it up right now. We are just way to easy to defend without a big in the game.

Two frames to look at this. I think both of you are right.

What teams our doing is sinking their zones in to the paint. This doesnt allow dribble penetration.

If you have a big guy working down low, the zone would hopefully collapse on him, or he would have an easy move to the hoop.

If the zone collapses, you have one pass to a wing guy, then hopefully the zone collapses on him, leaving a lane open for the next guy who gets the ball.

I believe i explained that correctly... basically a big will force them to focus on him, which allows for dribble penetration if you use him as a sort of screen.

Sorry but I totally disagree. We need someone in there to clear the lane and rub off the defender. We don't have a good enough pg to just clear out and win one on one. Missed layups and whining about contact is a huge factor there as well. Also when we do miss we have someone there to rebound, and if they start making the put backs they eventually sag making it easier for the shooters to get a good open look in rythem which they need badly. We don't have a true set shooter with Walter stinking it up right now. We are just way to easy to defend without a big in the game.

I agree that we need a big man wholeheartedly, I wasn't arguing that. I was just pointing out that a big man standing in the lane waiting for a putback, doesn't help your ability to dribble-drive, or get into the lane. It just doesn't.... You get into the lane by spreading the floor out, and then crashing the boards once the shot goes up.... Basketball 101

Two frames to look at this. I think both of you are right.

What teams our doing is sinking their zones in to the paint. This doesnt allow dribble penetration.

If you have a big guy working down low, the zone would hopefully collapse on him, or he would have an easy move to the hoop.

If the zone collapses, you have one pass to a wing guy, then hopefully the zone collapses on him, leaving a lane open for the next guy who gets the ball.

I believe i explained that correctly... basically a big will force them to focus on him, which allows for dribble penetration if you use him as a sort of screen.

Again, I fully understand the importance of a big man. I consider myself well-versed in basketball, and in his original post he stated the role of a big man in a dribble-drive scenario is to " open the lane for them for a layup ".... That's just wrong.

One of the reasons (not the only one) the Cavs didn't win the title the year they had Lebron, and Shaq is because Shaq's big ass was in the lane preventing Lebron from doing what he does best... Penetrating the paint, and getting to the rim.

It's actually of the utmost importance to get the big man out of the lane in a dribble-drive situation, that's why that position (Center, Power Forward) is almost always the position that sets the ball screen.

---- And by "getting the big man out of the lane" I don't mean make him stand behind the 3 pt. line, I just mean to get out of the paint.... Standing there waiting for a putback is not an offense....