Muslims and terrorism

Though we do enjoy a readership among Muslims inside and outside of the United States, some of whom have not hesitated to express displeasure or worse at our coverage of stories such as the Israel-Palestine conflict, none has seen the Charlie Hebdo cartoons as worth sending an angry email or even an annoyed tweet, much less a threat of violence.Our coverage of Islamophobia has brought a very different response. Articles decrying anti-Muslim bigotry and attacks on mosques have been met with dozens of threats on email and social media.The most common states a desire that jihadist militants will murder the offending writer: a recent email hoped that Muslims will "behead you one day" so that "we will never have to read your trash again." Some directly threaten violence themselves, or imply it with statements such as "May you rot in hell."Others express a desire to murder all Muslims — one simply read "I agree with maher Kill them all" — also often implying the emailed journalist is themselves Muslim. One pledge to attack Vox writers begins, "f#*k you and any c**t who believes in allah."As is often the case, the strongest threats have been reserved for women. One writer received a message arguing that someone should "put a gun up your ass" to make her understand terrorism.Ironically, these threats are typically couched in arguments that Muslims are inherently irrational and violent. Further, threats made with the explicit intention of silencing journalists from discussing Islamophobia are positioned as necessary "defenses" of free speech against the threat of Islam. The people making the threats seem unaware that they are themselves seeking to curb the very free speech they pretend to uphold.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/14/7541095/charlie-hebdo-muslims-threats

So we shouldn't hate Muslims?

Don't necessarily hate them but I wouldn't trust one for any reason and I sure as hell don't want to get on a plane with one.

T_O_B

So... Ameer Abdullah - bad guy? Abdul Muhammad - bad guy?

Surely you don't mean all Muslims. Right?

"Bad guy" and trust are two different things. Trust needs to be earned and in my world its a tuff test to pass.

T_O_B

What other generally defined people groups don't you trust besides Muslims?

Colorado fans.

T_O_B

Though we do enjoy a readership among Muslims inside and outside of the United States, some of whom have not hesitated to express displeasure or worse at our coverage of stories such as the Israel-Palestine conflict, none has seen the Charlie Hebdo cartoons as worth sending an angry email or even an annoyed tweet, much less a threat of violence.Our coverage of Islamophobia has brought a very different response. Articles decrying anti-Muslim bigotry and attacks on mosques have been met with dozens of threats on email and social media.The most common states a desire that jihadist militants will murder the offending writer: a recent email hoped that Muslims will "behead you one day" so that "we will never have to read your trash again." Some directly threaten violence themselves, or imply it with statements such as "May you rot in hell."Others express a desire to murder all Muslims — one simply read "I agree with maher Kill them all" — also often implying the emailed journalist is themselves Muslim. One pledge to attack Vox writers begins, "f#*k you and any c**t who believes in allah."As is often the case, the strongest threats have been reserved for women. One writer received a message arguing that someone should "put a gun up your ass" to make her understand terrorism.Ironically, these threats are typically couched in arguments that Muslims are inherently irrational and violent. Further, threats made with the explicit intention of silencing journalists from discussing Islamophobia are positioned as necessary "defenses" of free speech against the threat of Islam. The people making the threats seem unaware that they are themselves seeking to curb the very free speech they pretend to uphold.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/14/7541095/charlie-hebdo-muslims-threats

So we shouldn't hate Muslims?

Don't necessarily hate them but I wouldn't trust one for any reason and I sure as hell don't want to get on a plane with one.

T_O_B

Wow.

That actually got a +1?

2 of them. An effective character to reputation ratio, imo. But yes, wow meant what tschu said, minus the whole you're a sh**ty person sentiment. Stereotypes are good, and it's not like TOB was going around acting on those stereotypes in a way that's discriminatory.

Not necessarily the route I'd go down, but this is America, so I will just respectfully disagree with his beliefs.

An imaginary place where countries do not exercise sovereign power, yielding instead to sharia law.

People are incredible, though.

With the stoning of Christians in broad daylight in Dearborn while local law enforcement officers stood by refusing to protect them, No Go Zones -- places where the Constitutional law no longer is enforced -- have arrived in America.

By now, close to 270,000 viewers have seen the video (see below) of the Christian street preachers being assaulted on the streets of Dearborn, Michigan. They were walking in public areas of the annual Dearborn Arab Festival on Sunday 17 June 2012 (Father’s Day), carrying placards and wearing T-shirts bearing mild statements of their belief in Jesus Christ.

Same event from the Detroit free press

Some of the signs the missionaries held read: "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad (Islam's prophet) is a ... liar, false prophet, murderer, child molesting pervert."

...Most of the confrontations were between elderly missionaries and Arab-American kids.

They are real enough for people like these....and apparently, for LA governor Bobby Jindal.

• Fire 1

Here's a glimpse into T_O_Bull's 'Murica, including the irony that a group of Texass 'Patriots' and 'Christians' were protesting a Muslim conference titled "Stand With the Prophet Against Terror and Hate"...which was also a fundraiser to help "build a center dedicated to teaching Muslims how to combat negative depictions of their faith."

cf286b272ac89dd24a1a05425be265b1a0bf303a

• Fire 1

OK, if it specifically has to do with Muslim neighborhoods...bla bla bla.....I understand the snide comments.

However, I do know (and have witnessed personally) neighborhoods in the US where cops won't go because of crime.

So, if that was what people were talking about, I was going to disagree that they didn't exist.

OK, if it specifically has to do with Muslim neighborhoods...bla bla bla.....I understand the snide comments.

However, I do know (and have witnessed personally) neighborhoods in the US where cops won't go because of crime.

So, if that was what people were talking about, I was going to disagree that they didn't exist.

The absence of active law enforcement and the supposed establishment of a de-facto theocratic government in neighborhoods are two completely different things.

Here's a glimpse into T_O_Bull's 'Murica, including the irony that a group of Texass 'Patriots' and 'Christians' were protesting a Muslim conference titled "Stand With the Prophet Against Terror and Hate"...which was also a fundraiser to help "build a center dedicated to teaching Muslims how to combat negative depictions of their faith."

Don't even pretend to know what I'm about VV. Especially when it is obvious that you can't understand what I have said.

T_O_B

Don't even pretend to know what I'm about VV. Especially when it is obvious that you can't understand what I have said.

T_O_B

It's pretty obvious that these are your people based on what you said.

I know I wouldn't want to get on a plane with these zealots.

• 5 weeks later...

OK Vox, you can't have it both ways.

First, you made a big deal claiming anyone who asks Muslims to denounce and speak up against terrorism are bigoted. Now, you claim the President

"should stop pretending Islamist terrorism has nothing to do with Islam."

So, which is it?

This site is obviously trying to create controversy where there isn't any with this subject.

LINK

• 3 months later...