Remember NASA? Well, say goodbye.

The GOP has put Ted Cruz in charge of science.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Ted. Cruz.

Congress Just Gave One of the Most Important Science Jobs to a Senator Who Denies Science

One of the most important science jobs in Congress has just gone to the worst possible candidate: Texas senator and science-denying arch-conservative Ted Cruz.

As the new Republican majority takes over the Senate, they've put Sen. Cruz in charge of the Senate Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness, effectively giving him the reigns of NASA. The appointment is sure to be a disaster for both NASA and American scientific endeavors in general, and is yet another sign that the GOP is doubling down on its aggressive opposition to scientific research that doesn't toe the Republican Party line.

Why the job is so important: The subcommittee chair is directly tasked with overseeing NASA. As Scientific American's Joshua A. Krisch notes, the position has a huge impact on the country's scientific and research programs, and "controls funding for green technology, aeronautical and space sciences, atmospheric and weather sciences and scientific research and development (there's some overlap among committees)."

• Fire 1

http://gizmodo.com/8-dumb-quotes-about-science-from-new-nasa-overseer-ted-1678965577

"The last 15 years, there has been no recorded warming. Contrary to all the theories that they are expounding, there should have been warming over the last 15 years. It hasn't happened."- Ted Cruz on climate change

If Ted wants to argue whether or not climate change is being influenced or caused by man, great. I'd much rather that be discussed by scientists that study the subject instead of a politician, but trying to understand why it's happening has merit.

Outright denial that it's happening? That's a serious problem because there's a mountain of evidence to show that it's occurring.

• Fire 1

I doubt he could possibly harm NASA more than Obama has. He obviously is not the best or even a good choice for a science position but, let's get real, science isn't going to get set back because of one guy. If it can't stand up to that, it was probably on shaky ground to begin with.

But wait, the obligatorys; OMFG, f#*k, and unf'nbelievable. There.

Obama's White House has proposed budget cuts in conjunction with negotiations with the congress. Obama supports science and scientific exploration but must figure out a way to balance the books.

Ted Cruz' 2013 proposed budget would have cut NASA as well - cuts to NASA funding come from all over, not just the White House. Pretending Obama is solely responsible for NASA's funding cuts ignores facts.

• Fire 2

Obama's White House has proposed budget cuts in conjunction with negotiations with the congress. Obama supports science and scientific exploration but must figure out a way to balance the books.

Ted Cruz' 2013 proposed budget would have cut NASA as well - cuts to NASA funding come from all over, not just the White House. Pretending Obama is solely responsible for NASA's funding cuts ignores facts.

Agreed. But, the title of the topic was also painting with a pretty narrow brush, as if TC was singlehandedly going to take down NASA. Just trying to provide a little balance (when I probably shouldn't because, well, TC is a joke)

Agreed. But, the title of the topic was also painting with a pretty narrow brush, as if TC was singlehandedly going to take down NASA. Just trying to provide a little balance (when I probably shouldn't because, well, TC is a joke)

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to defend Ted Cruz.

I doubt he could possibly harm NASA more than Obama has. He obviously is not the best or even a good choice for a science position but, let's get real, science isn't going to get set back because of one guy. If it can't stand up to that, it was probably on shaky ground to begin with.

But wait, the obligatorys; OMFG, f#*k, and unf'nbelievable. There.

Says science has been set back by Obama-one guy.

Says science can't be harmed by one person to defend Ted Cruz.

• Fire 3