The Big Ten is back, despite including the Big Ten West

Saunders

Ohio St, probably not. But please explain what Michigan has that we dont. Does Michigan have a sh#t ton of instate talent? I guess I really dont know. Obviously it's more than Nebraska, cuz that's not saying much, but to me there doesnt seem to be this perception that Michigan is some recruiting hotbed. I'm sick of the perception that Michigan can do so much better recruiting than Nebraska.

You can't just look at the home state's population and say that's that. The surrounding population near Michigan is way bigger. They get a lot of recruits from Ohio.

Nebraska borders Iowa, North Dakota, Kansas.

But what's the draw? Climates similar. Current prestige of the program is, well, equal I guess.

Probably just my bias. But I guess I just dont see what Michigan has to sell. Why cant we compete with those guys in recruiting? Everyone just seems to write us off.

You're comparing NE/IA/KS/SD/ND area to MI/OH/PA/IN/IL and not seeing how one is perceived as better than the other?

Think about the number of professional sports teams in each area. Think about the number of cities that have 100,000+ people. Think about how the differences in density of population (aka you don't have to drive through a few hours of nothing to get to other towns). Think about the great lakes. Think about the "I hate change and people not like me" conservative political and ideological perspectives of rural states compared to the adaptive and accepting liberal mindsets that come with more dense urban living.

US States by density:

9. Pennsylvania

10. Ohio

12. Illinois

16. Indiana

17. Michigan

36. Iowa

40. Kansas

43. Nebraska

46. South Dakota

47. North Dakota

It's all about coaching, leadership and player development.

You can bring all those 5 and 4 star players into ann arbor but if the head coach is Brady Hoke then it isn't going to work.

Their offensive line was awful but I bet all of them were Rivals 250.

From what I've seen, Riley can coach em up. I'd probably look at Oregon St's turnover numbers since I think that has caused about 80% of your blowups the past few years.

If Sparty can win two BCS-type games in a row with 3 star players then I think Nebraska can too.

You can bring all those 5 and 4 star players into ann arbor but if the head coach is Brady Hoke then it isn't going to work.

No, it's not. You can bring a bunch of 2 star players to OSU or Alabama and it's not going to work. It's a combination of recruiting and coaching.

I wonder what the perception wouldve been if Ohio St woulda beat Wisconsin by 7, and still went on to win the national title. Seems they forget that Michigan is garbage. Penn St is garbage even with new coach. That Minnesota almost beat Ohio St. That Nebraska almost beat Michigan St. Seems their comparison of the East to the West is much like that of the SEC to the rest of the country. While most wont argue it's better, the gap isnt that wide. And there's a lot of assuming that Franklin and Harbaugh will be major successes, and that Riley wont.

wake up! thats cuz they're better and will most likely will continue that way, take off the freakin blinders and be honest in your evaluation especially on O-line and lb to start. We are quite aways behind osu and with the moves within the conference as of late ,we are in an arms race that we can ill afford to fall further behind in. We don't know how good a coach MR is but I am perty certain that we will not outcoach them. We might be able to hold sway but even if we do and they are bringing in better athletes how do you think that is going to play out? Sure we might be able to win one now and then but I am talking about thw majority of the time. Now if those teams conditions change and ours improve ,then that balance might change but as it is now it is going to be an uphill slog to have any"consistent" success against OSU and prob MU.

I wonder what the perception wouldve been if Ohio St woulda beat Wisconsin by 7, and still went on to win the national title. Seems they forget that Michigan is garbage. Penn St is garbage even with new coach. That Minnesota almost beat Ohio St. That Nebraska almost beat Michigan St. Seems their comparison of the East to the West is much like that of the SEC to the rest of the country. While most wont argue it's better, the gap isnt that wide. And there's a lot of assuming that Franklin and Harbaugh will be major successes, and that Riley wont.

wake up thats cuz there better and will most likely continue that way, take off the freakin blinders and be honest in your eval

I have no idea what you just said.

No, it's not. You can bring a bunch of 2 star players to OSU or Alabama and it's not going to work. It's a combination of recruiting and coaching.

My point is those 5 star players don't accomplish too much as a team without good coaches.

Ron Zook and Brady Hoke recruit like crazy and their teams accomplishments show their lack of coaching ability, leadership and player development.

Great coaching CAN win without 4 and 5 stars. Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez show that it can happen.

Winning national titles? Of course talent is required but coaching needs to be set first. The defensive MVP of the National Title game was a 3 Star player who only had offers from OSU, Sparty and a bunch of lesser programs.

What happens when Saban and Meyer suddenly start to recruit a 3 star? More often than not he magically becomes a 4 star prospect.

• Fire 1

What happens when Saban and Meyer suddenly start to recruit a 3 star? More often than not he magically becomes a 4 star prospect.

Yep. In a way it's self-fulfilling.

It is all about that, but, you still have to go all out and recruit like you're one of the top programs in the land. Or maybe, recruit like you're in Alaska but have to win championships. That's what Urban does.

This is what I'm talking about. Even within that 500 mile radius there are a ton of recruits available to us, but we have got very few of them. (we haven't even tried for 7-8 years, especially if the "deal" with stoops was true concerning OK) Auburn is killing it in the southern section.

So other than the Chicago area which is right on the edge of our 500 mile radius and closer to many other schools about half the markers are a red N but you're going to claim that's "very few"? Going to be tough to improve on that.

• Fire 1

This is what I'm talking about. Even within that 500 mile radius there are a ton of recruits available to us, but we have got very few of them. (we haven't even tried for 7-8 years, especially if the "deal" with stoops was true concerning OK) Auburn is killing it in the southern section.

So other than the Chicago area which is right on the edge of our 500 mile radius and closer to many other schools about half the markers are a red N but you're going to claim that's "very few"? Going to be tough to improve on that.

We did a pretty good job of landing those kids, but good lord there weren't many of them for the 12 years examined on the map. Even if Nebraska does well in its 500 mile radius, unless we improve in Chicago and St. Louis, there aren't enough quality players to compete annually.