Does the Pelini Era cast the Callahan Era in a different light?

knapplc

That was absolutely awesome Chamberlain. Well done.

X 2 It has a lot of truth to it about both HC's. I would only add that there were a lot of fans that saw through Bo's crap after the 2010 fiasco and were taunted for not being a "Boliever." This was totally ridiculous, as now finally the sheep have finally seen the light[/size]

seeing the light. Lol. Thats funny. AFHusker 2010 and his crystal ball that no one wanted to believe.....

It wasn't that hard to see, I was far from the only one who gave up on him after that year. I mean how hard is it to see that after three years our offense would be what it was under Bo, an inconsistent turnover machine. And his defenses get torn up by motion, aka the jet sweep. And he was too stubborn to change his game plan, which lead to more butt kicking’s and a defense that made Cozgrove look competent. Bo was lucky that we moved to the Big 10, because he wouldn't have had as many easy games to pad his record in the Big 12

We ran a completley different offense in 2011 vs 2010, and nobody on our schedule (except maybe Okie state) even used a jet sweep package. We were 3 points from a conference championship with 3 hobbled QB's. It was 2011 against Wisconsin when the wheels started coming off.

His recruiting from 2011 on-wards started to suffer as well.

Nah, his recruiting was garbage from day 1.

X 2 It has a lot of truth to it about both HC's. I would only add that there were a lot of fans that saw through Bo's crap after the 2010 fiasco and were taunted for not being a "Boliever." This was totally ridiculous, as now finally the sheep have finally seen the light[/size]
seeing the light. Lol. Thats funny. AFHusker 2010 and his crystal ball that no one wanted to believe.....
It wasn't that hard to see, I was far from the only one who gave up on him after that year. I mean how hard is it to see that after three years our offense would be what it was under Bo, an inconsistent turnover machine. And his defenses get torn up by motion, aka the jet sweep. And he was too stubborn to change his game plan, which lead to more butt kicking’s and a defense that made Cozgrove look competent. Bo was lucky that we moved to the Big 10, because he wouldn't have had as many easy games to pad his record in the Big 12 [/size]
We ran a completley different offense in 2011 vs 2010, and nobody on our schedule (except maybe Okie state) even used a jet sweep package. We were 3 points from a conference championship with 3 hobbled QB's. It was 2011 against Wisconsin when the wheels started coming off.
True and I agree to an extent....but I think the catalyst to the systemic negative issues with Pelini, the coaching staff and the team happened right after the Texas A&M game in 2010. The A&M meltdown had Pearlman giving a public apology along with Pelini's public "apology." The rift created between Pelini and the program began...which in ways affected the football team and coaching staff....

That's the smoking gun for me in how this whole Pelini sh#tstorm started...

I think that's the point where he started 2nd guessing his decision to come here.

I knew the Bo Pelini honeymoon was over in 2010. Don't believe me?

Florida would be stupid to give Bo the reins to their program this early in his tenure. ATM they're one of the top two programs out there, maybe THE top. They have no reason whatsoever to give their team over to a guy who's had a year as rough as Bo's.

Will Muschamps Defense was exactly lights out this year either. When was the last head coaching gig Will had?......NONE

None - the same number of times Muschamp has been censured by his administration. The same number of times Muschamp has publicly embarrassed his school. The same number of times major media outlets have publicly questioned Muschamp's character.

NONE is not necessarily a bad thing. When you're hiring for the position they're hiring for, character plays a huge role. Bo's character has come into question a LOT in the past year. Muschamp... not so much.

Much as I love Bo, the honeymoon is over for me.

I don't have a crystal ball. But I do have a palantir. ;)

I agree with the honeymoon being over part. I think it was for most people. It was 3 years in. Time to take that next step type of deal. I'm just speaking about those saying that after 2010 it was time for a change. I dont believe that. It's a garbage assessment. Now, one year later, with what went on in 2011, suffering the first blowout losses of the Pelini era. Embarassing loss at home to NW, and the way the season ended, well, yeah, I could understand the negativity then. But not after 2010.

I just wanted to be clear on the difference of the 'honeymoon being over" and wanting a change.

I knew the Bo Pelini honeymoon was over in 2010. Don't believe me?

Florida would be stupid to give Bo the reins to their program this early in his tenure. ATM they're one of the top two programs out there, maybe THE top. They have no reason whatsoever to give their team over to a guy who's had a year as rough as Bo's.

Will Muschamps Defense was exactly lights out this year either. When was the last head coaching gig Will had?......NONE

None - the same number of times Muschamp has been censured by his administration. The same number of times Muschamp has publicly embarrassed his school. The same number of times major media outlets have publicly questioned Muschamp's character.

NONE is not necessarily a bad thing. When you're hiring for the position they're hiring for, character plays a huge role. Bo's character has come into question a LOT in the past year. Muschamp... not so much.

Much as I love Bo, the honeymoon is over for me.

I don't have a crystal ball. But I do have a palantir. ;)

MEJ0dbZ.gif

I agree with the honeymoon being over part. I think it was for most people. It was 3 years in. Time to take that next step type of deal. I'm just speaking about those saying that after 2010 it was time for a change. I dont believe that. It's a garbage assessment. Now, one year later, with what went on in 2011, suffering the first blowout losses of the Pelini era. Embarassing loss at home to NW, and the way the season ended, well, yeah, I could understand the negativity then. But not after 2010.

I just wanted to be clear on the difference of the 'honeymoon being over" and wanting a change.

Honestly, I didn't really start wanting Bo out until 2013 played out as it did. Patience had worn really thin, but even then the AD gave a public "everyone moving in the same direction, here's our support, here's all our backing" so I thought, OK, one more chance. And even that, it didn't really turn into 'I definitely hope they fire this guy' until after the Iowa game, hearing things like staff members talking defiantly about how they'd got 9 wins.

A lot of dissatisfaction in the meantime. Much of it in hindsight over how the fan experience had become with that crew in charge. But, up until the day we hired Riley and I got to learn who he is and what he's about, I was among many fans who really had no idea if there was anything truly different or better out there. Remember when it looked like we were getting Bielema? :wacko:

Somebody's got a messiah complex.

Nah, it was as close as I will get to say that I told you so. It just got tiring hearing all of the Boexcuses and Bill being blamed for everything that was wrong with the program. He is far from blameless, but he isn't the devil that he was made to be by the fan base. If anything, I strongly believe that Frank gets too much of a pass because he spent 35 years here. IMO that makes what he did to the program even worse because he knew the culture, let it deteriorate under his watch and left the program in shambles. Bill was an outsider that was never a good fit, but wasn't also given the chances that both Frank and Bo got to fix things.It has been discussed to death as to why Bo failed. He has nobody to blame but himself, he had the entire fanbase behind him until 2010 when he started to lose the big games. What would be interesting, is if they didn't put the one second back on the clock in 2009, how that would have affected his perception as he would have been the first to win a Conference Championship without Tom's players. [/size]

Without this getting into the same old same old about why Frank was let go, let's just say Frank didn't accomplish everything with TO's players. Without getting into a debate of whether we should have been there or not, Frank had us in the NC game in 01'. Exactly how many of those players on that team were TO's? Considering it was Frank's fourth year, I'm going to say not many. When defending NC OU rolled into Lincoln, Frank called a stellar game and we came out winners. Frank did not leave the program in shambles.

As I said, Clownahan's biggest mistake was even accepting the job. Pud had already pretty much screwed the pooch in terms of making it about him and his vision for Nebraska football. I actually place little blame on how things exploded on Clownahan. He was/is a NFL coach that had no reason to be in the college ranks. As bad as the 07' season was, Clownahan also did not leave the program in shambles. What he left was a lot of extremely raw talent that he and his staff had no ability at all to develop.

Bo walks into a situation somewhat similar to what Urban Meyer walked into Florida. The win loss record wasn't very good under the previous regime, but the talent was there for a quick turn around. This is what the 08' and 09' season showed. What I never could understand about Bo was his ability to form and shape the raw talent Clownahan left him, but he never was able to really develop the talent he recruited. Suh's success is directly related to being Pelini coached. Without the change happening when it did, I highly doubt Suh ever develops into the beast on the field he is. Bo did some good things while he was here. He also did not leave the program in shambles.

In comes Mike Riley. Without him ever coaching a game here, one has to be able to see the reason Eichorst brought in a coach like Riley to Nebraska. Riley has a reputation much like Snyder at KState for doing more with less. Whether one wants to admit it or not, we're at a disadvantage with regards to recruiting. Joining the B1G just made it that much harder. Wisconsin just lost a coach because he couldn't get the recruits he wanted because of admissions. When we joined the Big 12, we lost some of our recruiting ability that TO enjoyed for years. If we were strictly just about football, we should have joined the SEC. For years, other places used to try and mimic our success. Today, we're going to have to try and mimic the success of places like KState and Michigan State. Once we enjoy their level of success, the recruiting and players will follow. A guy like Riley is the right fit at the right time.

• Fire 2

I'm not satisfied with the last decade or so myself, but just to be clear the "trough" Nebraska has fallen into since Tom Osborne left has us going 152 - 69 with one losing season and 16 bowl appearences in 17 seasons.

Not bad as troughs go.

In a few years Frank Solich, Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini will be lumped into the same trough. Won't really matter why they were a bad fit or if they should have left sooner or later. Just a distant reminder of the lost years before Mike Riley followed by his wunderkind protege Jack Hoffman returned the Huskers to NCAA glory.

• Fire 1

Frank had an even better team in 1999, going 12 - 1, beating 4 Top 20 and 2 Top 10 teams, and finishing the year ranked #2 and #3 in the polls.

Osborne only had four better seasons in his 25 years.

I don't know why we insist on forgetting that 1999 team.

i might. because it hurts. that could have been, and should have been, number 4 in the 90's.

but you are right, that was a great season. and another reason frank was wronged for getting fired. he won a ccg and got us to an mnc. pretty great resume. unlike his successors.

I'm not satisfied with the last decade or so myself, but just to be clear the "trough" Nebraska has fallen into since Tom Osborne left has us going 152 - 69 with one losing season and 16 bowl appearences in 17 seasons.

Not bad as troughs go.

In a few years Frank Solich, Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini will be lumped into the same trough. Won't really matter why they were a bad fit or if they should have left sooner or later. Just a distant reminder of the lost years before Mike Riley followed by his wunderkind protege Jack Hoffman returned the Huskers to NCAA glory.

2 losing seasons and 15 bowls.

Just a slight correction that doesnt really change a thing about the point youre making.

I agree. You look at how bad the like of the Oklahomas and Miamis had it during their "down times" (though the Miami things is interesting, cuz I truly believe that their bad-mediocre teams are who they really are and that the 80's and the early 2000's are the anomoly for that joke of a wannabe blueblood program). What Michigan is in right now, despite 2011's bcs run, is pretty bad. The Rich Rod years were awful, and even under Carr going 7-5 and 9-4 in 2 of the last 3 years.

If we consider this our bad decade, we've actually continued to be spoiled. Even our losing seasons were just a handful of plays away from being not.

Frank had an even better team in 1999, going 12 - 1, beating 4 Top 20 and 2 Top 10 teams, and finishing the year ranked #2 and #3 in the polls.

Osborne only had four better seasons in his 25 years.

I don't know why we insist on forgetting that 1999 team.

The reason I left out the 99' team was for obvious reasons. Those players on that team were TO's players. However, very few of the players on the 01' team were TO's. Had we the four team playoff back then, the 99' team more than likely would have won the NC. They were probably playing the best ball of anyone come bowl season.