Story Time with Joe Ganz

I get what Zoogs is sayin, but in my opinion, if this was really all it took for Freeman to switch, then so be it. He was probably already waivering anyway. And honestly what did Freeman ever do in college or the NFL that made you really REALLY wish we had him over anyone else we've had since?

Agreed with this totally. When he was drafted 1st round I was like:

tumblr_m61uyec7p31rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Perhaps I was being overly critical since he was a decommit and all, and we consistently destroyed him and that sorry purple team. I always felt like maybe I was wrong about him. But then I think Tampa Bay was incredibly wrong about him... Or... Maybe I am still wrong. I don't even know anymore. Either way, we turned out good without him right?

I get what Zoogs is sayin, but in my opinion, if this was really all it took for Freeman to switch, then so be it. He was probably already waivering anyway. And honestly what did Freeman ever do in college or the NFL that made you really REALLY wish we had him over anyone else we've had since?

Yeah, so be it. I don't think we missed too much there. I think both he and Gabbert would have fared better at Nebraska, but who knows? And besides, what if it had saved Callahan's job somehow.

The thing is just, if a current player couldn't keep his cool and as a result cost us a recruit, yikes. I'd be not too pleased about that. As people say, you want QBs to be a little cocky and self assured, but that probably illustrates Freeman in this episode more than it does Joe's response to a challenger.

Here's another Joe Ganz story I remember. When he & Chase Daniel were with the Redskins in camp, Daniel had to get caught up on all this NFL terminology in the offense they were running there. I think this was in a newspaper article and it came from Joe himself, but I can't remember; anyway, Joe supposedly had this attitude that why should he help Daniel, who is competing for the same job.

I wonder if maybe Joe had a different attitude about that, if he wouldn't have stuck around the league longer. He was very fun to watch play and I think he was a pretty savvy QB by the time he left here. I always hoped he and Zac Taylor would both be playing on Sundays for a while, but admittedly it was a real longshot in both cases.

Pretty interesting story... Freeman had talent, but he always seemed rattled playing against the Huskers.

It wasn't just against the Huskers. Other than Texas, most teams had Freeman's number. I never ever understood how in the heck he became a first round pick other than his stature and arm strength. He was a project at best.

He wasn't great. But he wasn't bad. He had 34 total TD's his final year at KSU. Throwing 20/8 TD/Int.

Nothing indicates at all a 1st rounder. But some indication that maybe he could play at the next level. He was forgettable.

To put that in perspective, Mariota was 42/4 TD/Int this year. He also rushed for 15 TD's (57 total TD's).Of course, Mariota had 3 more games, but you get it.

The dude had talent. I mean, you don't get to be starting QB in the NFL by chance. You don't have to be the next Joe Montana to be a great college quarterback

What college stats of Freeman's jump out at you and say he was even remotely close to being a great college QB?

None, really. I thought he probably suffered being a one man show at K. State.

Yeah, I'm not sure Gabbert or even Locker put up numbers that were that gaudy. All first round picks though.

Which again shows why most teams with top picks are teams that year in and year out get the top picks. They pick QB's based on physical stature and arm strength. Freeman might have actually ended up having a decent career if he'd been treated for what he really was. He was a project that needed to be behind a good veteran QB for a few years.

Yeah, so be it. I don't think we missed too much there. I think both he and Gabbert would have fared better at Nebraska, but who knows? And besides, what if it had saved Callahan's job somehow.

The thing is just, if a current player couldn't keep his cool and as a result cost us a recruit, yikes. I'd be not too pleased about that. As people say, you want QBs to be a little cocky and self assured, but that probably illustrates Freeman in this episode more than it does Joe's response to a challenger.

Here's another Joe Ganz story I remember. When he & Chase Daniel were with the Redskins in camp, Daniel had to get caught up on all this NFL terminology in the offense they were running there. I think this was in a newspaper article and it came from Joe himself, but I can't remember; anyway, Joe supposedly had this attitude that why should he help Daniel, who is competing for the same job.

I wonder if maybe Joe had a different attitude about that, if he wouldn't have stuck around the league longer. He was very fun to watch play and I think he was a pretty savvy QB by the time he left here. I always hoped he and Zac Taylor would both be playing on Sundays for a while, but admittedly it was a real longshot in both cases.

Ive listened to a lot of podcasts since Joe has been on this show. He's got a pretty brash (?) attitude. He's pretty open about a lot of behind the scenes goings-on. I dont know if he could land another job in the major coaching world. Seems to be pretty content with taking the radio personality approach.

The dude had talent. I mean, you don't get to be starting QB in the NFL by chance. You don't have to be the next Joe Montana to be a great college quarterback

There's lots of QB's that get to start in the NFL by chance.

Yeah... Tom Brady being one. Tony Romo. Rich Gannon probably doesn't get his great seasons at Oakland without Grbac being injured while he was at KC. And finally, Kurt Warner. Each of those guys are guys who excelled, but only having their chance due to injury of the actual starters.

Although, you're still right, you don't make an NFL roster as a QB by chance, that's for sure.