A New Rival

My point is they really aren't rivals (thus why I used "rivals"), but every team in the North "gets up" for NU every year. If you go to the road games, it's a big deal. I've been to KU and ISU twice on the road. It's considered red letter if you beat the Big Red. No doubt about that.

That's no doubt. It's a big deal when Nebraska goes on the road. At least I know it's a big deal in Columbia and Ames. :thumbs

I grew up watching #1 Nebraska battle #2 Oklahoma, or vice versa.

College football just isn't the same without it...

:yeah I totally agree with you!!! There are a few guys at my work that are OU fans so it's going to take some of the fun out of college football!!! I also agree that ISU is so fixated with Iowa that there is no room for them to have another rival so let's go with KSU!!! :box

it makes me puke that we have to pick a north team to be a rival.. WE OWN THE NORTH!!!! according to huskerpediawe are: 45-17-2 vs the Puffs, 86-16-2 vs Iowa St., 87-22-3 vs Kansas, 73-15-2 vs KSU, 64-34-3 vs Missouri. Against the south: 8-1-0 vs Baylor, 36-3-1 vs Oklahoma St., 9-2 vs Texas A&M, 7-1 vs Tech which is wrong but huskerpedia hasnt updated so we are actually 7-2 vs Texas tech, and we are 4-6-0 vs TEXAS.

Oklahoma is a whole diffferent ballgame. We are 37-42-3 vs OU. Thats one of the main reasons why i think our rival should be OU. Like you guys said earlier back in the day it was Nebraska vs OU, and both teams were either #1 or #2. MAN it doesnt get any better than NU vs OU. To think we have to rival a north team when the records show that we OWN them makes me sick. Of course they should have every right to rival NU. but we shouldnt have to stoop to that level unless we lost to every north team for the next 40 to 60 years...

I think we should think about Texas as well because we dont have a winning record against them either. nor michigan, and other top tier programs. FWIW, since 1970 Nebraska has gone 0-1-1 vs USC, lets hope this fall we put a 1 instead of a 2,

I would not try to tell that to Tennessee/Florida, Auburn/Alabaman, Army/Navy, Ucla/USC NotreDame/Michigan, Notre Dame/USC, Texas/Oklahoma, South Carolina/Clemson, Michigan/Ohio State.

There are many rivalries that fans live for. We are just one of many, and ours has lost the lustre lately due to the fact we do not play every year and both have had down years. Not to say all the others haven't but trust me all are just as important to their fans. As stated earlier it is our rivalry game with Oklahoma it is not their main rivalry game by any sense of the imagination.

it makes me puke that we have to pick a north team to be a rival.. WE OWN THE NORTH!!!! according to huskerpediawe are: 45-17-2 vs the Puffs, 86-16-2 vs Iowa St., 87-22-3 vs Kansas, 73-15-2 vs KSU, 64-34-3 vs Missouri. Against the south: 8-1-0 vs Baylor, 36-3-1 vs Oklahoma St., 9-2 vs Texas A&M, 7-1 vs Tech which is wrong but huskerpedia hasnt updated so we are actually 7-2 vs Texas tech, and we are 4-6-0 vs TEXAS.

Oklahoma is a whole diffferent ballgame. We are 37-42-3 vs OU. Thats one of the main reasons why i think our rival should be OU. Like you guys said earlier back in the day it was Nebraska vs OU, and both teams were either #1 or #2. MAN it doesnt get any better than NU vs OU. To think we have to rival a north team when the records show that we OWN them makes me sick. Of course they should have every right to rival NU. but we shouldnt have to stoop to that level unless we lost to every north team for the next 40 to 60 years...

I think we should think about Texas as well because we dont have a winning record against them either. nor michigan, and other top tier programs. FWIW, since 1970 Nebraska has gone 0-1-1 vs USC, lets hope this fall we put a 1 instead of a 2,

Very Nicely put. I agree about Texas, but it just makes it really hard when you only play a team TWICE every four years. This is one of the reasons the Big 12 sucks. I agree with the conference, but wish NU could've had an agreement with OU and even UT to play every year. I know it's tough to schedule this way, but it was also hard to swallow no more OU rivalry. Someone should've put their foot down on this.

And credit to Texas. Knowledgeable, decent, passionate fans. I think we can relate ;)

Wouldn't it be sweet if fans traveled to Ames in such numbers that they outnumber the home crowd. Does anyone know if they sell out for their home fans? If so, what is usually the visitor allocation?

They do on certian games, but it is not that difficult since Jack Trice stadium only holds a capacity 45,814 seats (about 30,000-35,000 less than Memorial Stadium). More show up to NU's spring game than can fit into their stadium.