Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

The best way to stop an offense is to get in the backfield before the play starts. This new attacking scheme will improve that.

The see-ball, less thinking, more just doing 'attacking' scheme sounds great on paper until teams hit you deep with a play action pass.

I still prefer surrendering a couple long passes per game over letting a team run for 400 yards.

• Fire 1

I'm going to piggy back off what ADS said regarding points. In this age, high powered offenses are just gonna score sometimes. To combat that it's best to neutralize it with your own offense, your special teams (DPE), shifting the momentum back to your side, and keep battling defensively. It's amazing how timely big plays can help. A pick six, a blocked punt, forcing one measly three and out, followed by a long scoring drive of your own, or a quick strike. Regain momentum.

I hate to see guys burned on deep passes, but it happens. That does not indicate that it will happen every time a QB drops back. Maybe next time you still blitz, but someone doesn't pick up a block and the QB gets knocked off his feet, fumbles, Gerry picks it up and takes it to the house. Yep, they burned us deep once, but we kept attacking and punched them back. Or Mosely aggressively jumps out in front of a receiver and gets a pick six. Or Kalu strips the ball from the receiver after he catches it. Not everything is always "if you attack aggressively on defense you will die, man". The defense will be ok. Now let's go work on our offense!

• Fire 2

The best way to stop an offense is to get in the backfield before the play starts. This new attacking scheme will improve that.

The see-ball, less thinking, more just doing 'attacking' scheme sounds great on paper until teams hit you deep with a play action pass.

I still prefer surrendering a couple long passes per game over letting a team run for 400 yards.

Or just Melvin Gordon