Sipple: Mismanaged by previous staff, Banderas gets fresh start

Sipple: Mismanaged by previous staff, Banderas gets fresh start

Bo Pelini seemed to always strive for fairness. But roster management is an inexact science. In this case, one full-time member of the former defensive staff acknowledged his misgivings about the way Banderas' playing time was handled each of the past two seasons.

A 6-foot-2, 235-pound junior from Lincoln Southwest, Banderas was thrown to the wolves as a true freshman in 2013 before he was ready. In fact, he started early on in each of the past two seasons -- five of the first six games last season -- before being benched. How do you think such handling affects a kid's confidence? I can see it occurring once. But twice?

Banderas wasn't the only player the second paragraph could have been written about. That kind of handling seemed to be the M.O. around here. Although not for every player.

Says he is the best prep player in the class, and then complains when he starts/plays too soon and it hurts his confidence.

Sounds like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Hey pal, logic has no place in here. IT'S A MESSAGEBOARD, DAMNIT!

• Fire 2

I don't think our roster was handled very well. By handled, I mean everything from creating physical advantages to fostering mental advantages within the player as well as providing a learning environment conducive to each individual player on the roster.

Physical advantages could have been created by higher quality strength and conditioning, which potentially could have made Banderas a better player by simply making him faster. Everyone has a ceiling, but I don't think the last staff had Banderas anywhere near his.

Mental advantages could have been created by having a scheme designed to fit the abilities of the players rather than forcing a scheme on players who may not have the physical or mental capability of executing it. It wasn't enough to just hope that you could get players to fit your scheme, there's a lot of risk in that option because you leave it open to the option that you may not have players capable of executing your scheme. So further, I don't think Banderas was capable of executing Bo's scheme, and he wasn't the only one guilty of that. So, if your players can't execute your scheme, who's fault is it? Kind of like what knapp says to problem posters on the board, "If a lot of people have problems with you, perhaps it isn't them who are the problem."

Finally, I don't think the last staff created an environment conducive to learning for all the players. I don't think they understood how a single coaching style could be interpreted differently by individual players. Yes, the variability in the personalities of the team and the resultant responses to coaching are complex, and designing an environment that allows each player to learn how he can be successful on the field in his own way is difficult, but that's your job as coaches. You're teachers, and teachers need to have different methods of teaching kids who learn differently.

What Bo did with Banderas is akin to teaching a class with an auditory-learning focused style, and then being upset that kids who learn better visually did poor on the test; then despite this apparent difference, continuing to teach class with an auditory-learning focused style. Of course the visual learners are going to be less confident, they did poor on the test! But they weren't given the best opportunity to succeed and to them, it doesn't look like they will be given an opportunity to succeed on future exams.

• Fire 4

I don't think our roster was handled very well. By handled, I mean everything from creating physical advantages to fostering mental advantages within the player as well as providing a learning environment conducive to each individual player on the roster.

Physical advantages could have been created by higher quality strength and conditioning, which potentially could have made Banderas a better player by simply making him faster. Everyone has a ceiling, but I don't think the last staff had Banderas anywhere near his.

Mental advantages could have been created by having a scheme designed to fit the abilities of the players rather than forcing a scheme on players who may not have the physical or mental capability of executing it. It wasn't enough to just hope that you could get players to fit your scheme, there's a lot of risk in that option because you leave it open to the option that you may not have players capable of executing your scheme. So further, I don't think Banderas was capable of executing Bo's scheme, and he wasn't the only one guilty of that. So, if your players can't execute your scheme, who's fault is it? Kind of like what knapp says to problem posters on the board, "If a lot of people have problems with you, perhaps it isn't them who are the problem."

Finally, I don't think the last staff created an environment conducive to learning for all the players. I don't think they understood how a single coaching style could be interpreted differently by individual players. Yes, the variability in the personalities of the team and the resultant responses to coaching are complex, and designing an environment that allows each player to learn how he can be successful on the field in his own way is difficult, but that's your job as coaches. You're teachers, and teachers need to have different methods of teaching kids who learn differently.

What Bo did with Banderas is akin to teaching a class with an auditory-learning focused style, and then being upset that kids who learn better visually did poor on the test; then despite this apparent difference, continuing to teach class with an auditory-learning focused style. Of course the visual learners are going to be less confident, they did poor on the test! But they weren't given the best opportunity to succeed and to them, it doesn't look like they will be given an opportunity to succeed on future exams.

pretty damn good analogy........i expect the experience in coaches will help a lot of the kids shake off last couple seasons.......i think these coaches will evaluate the total player, physical and mental........

Without knowing details, it is very difficult for me to comment on whether there was mismanagement of individuals or wasn't. Pretty much takes intimate knowledge of the situation to say that and I have no guess as to what reporters know or think the know. A practice that seemed prevalent brought me to wonder how it was that some starting players fell in and out of favor. I presume some made a mistake on a play and it seemed if they were out of favor they didn't see the playing field again If they were out, they seemed to sit and sit and sit which makes me wonder why they started in the first place. As an aside, it also seems to me that berating a player out of anger probably qualifies as mismanagement.

• Fire 1

Yea, totally the staffs fault for giving him chances while he watches Gerry fly past him to make up for Banderas' lack of aggressiveness.

This... had no confidence, step slow when he made a mistake. Gerry would make mistakes going 110mph.

I hope Bando sheds weight, talented good kid. Hard worker.

Bo and staff did mismanage players by only getting 9 or 10 wins a year. Before we anoint Reily as the next best thing, lets see how things go over the next 5 years. Bo was a good coached, liked by the players. Bad mouthing a good coach for one coming to us from Oregon State is laughable.

If he was good why did he land at an FCS program? Plenty of openings

• Fire 3

Bo and staff did mismanage players by only getting 9 or 10 wins a year. Before we anoint Reily as the next best thing, lets see how things go over the next 5 years. Bo was a good coached, liked by the players. Bad mouthing a good coach for one coming to us from Oregon State is laughable.

Bo was a good enough coach to beat the lackeys he faced and a poor enough coach to get his ass throughly beat to a pulp by equal or slightly better talent.....consistently.

• Fire 4

Mismanaged is probably a misnomer IMO. My feeling is the player development and roster management issues point more to the previous staff's lack of experience. To use a business analogy, Just because a person is a great salesman, does not mean he/she will be a good sales manager.

• Fire 2