Coach Riley, the Huskers, and the next big training tool?

So, I saw this tweet this morning from Ryan Gunderson.

They're using an Oculus Rift, a Virtual Reality headset. It's got huge backing from some industry leaders in technology (Facebook and specifically, John Carmack). It's in the development stage and there's a few different uses for it, mostly in gaming and training scenarios. Anyway, I was curious what they were doing. A little while later, I read this fantastic article on Fox Sports.

'I was blown away': Welcome to football's quarterback revolution

Specifically, the future of football coaching was being projected through a $350 headset connected to the laptops. The NFL coaches were watching Stanford's practice film from 2014. There were no exotic plays. No unusual formations -- just a handful of scout team reps run at three-quarters speed. The "wow" factor came from the perspective of it all. Whoever put on that headset with its earphones and goggles became the QB on that field in Palo Alto.

Look left and you can see your tight end settling into position next to the left tackle. In front of you, the safeties and MIKE linebacker are trying to get lined up. Turn your head to the right and you look over the right tackle and all the way out to the wide receiver on the right side of the formation with a cornerback facing him, peeking in at you. Keeping turning to the right -- it's OK to twist around. Now 180 degrees -- and whoa! -- there's your running back staring right at you.

"I was expecting something kinda cheesy, like video-game quality, and right when I was about to write them off, they put the headset on you and shoot, it's real," said one NFL QB coach after returning from Indy.

Twenty-nine-year-old Derek Belch, a former kicker and now quality control assistant for the Cardinal, led all the meetings. Belch could've told his audience some stats like how Kevin Hogan went from completing 64 percent of his passes up to 76 percent after the Stanford quarterback started using this headset regularly for about 20 minutes before games. Or that the Cardinal went from averaging 24 points a game to 38 in those final three games. Or that the team finished the year scoring on every one of its last 27 trips to the Red Zone when their first two units were on the field, which would seem even more jaw-dropping when you consider the team was scoring just around 50 percent inside the 20-yard-line before that.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/stanford-cardinal-nfl-virtual-reality-qb-training-031115

This is something I've known was going to happen, and it's here. Nebraska needs to get in on this, immediately.

• Fire 2

Way cool! I'll bet within a couple years every football team has this, NFL and college. Probly even the well heeled high schools teams. :thumbs:

I would count on it, particularly with the incoming explosion of VR. Not only is Oculus, but Valve, Sony and another one that's name escapes me, are all due to release VR headsets this year. And the applications for it are just getting started.

That is cool! Man, can you image your coach seeing everything you do and the amount of feedback you get at the same time reading D and keys plus progression. Simply talking you through. Game speed,

Pelini talked about eyes and processing always. This is the bedrock of deception. what are you really trying do to us?

With this tool it sounds like you get a multitude of defensive looks against a a set play and can guide your qb against multiple scenarios exactly how he is processing information.

The Husker need a pair.

Way cool! I'll bet within a couple years every football team has this, NFL and college. Probly even the well heeled high schools teams. :thumbs:

I would count on it, particularly with the incoming explosion of VR. Not only is Oculus, but Valve, Sony and another one that's name escapes me, are all due to release VR headsets this year. And the applications for it are just getting started.

I know AMD has a set, and I believe HTC is co-developing theirs with Valve. There's one more, but I can't remember it though...