Post-Practice Presser - March 16

My gut says we're going to be chasing Banker out of Lincoln in a couple years... if not after this upcoming season.

I think any of his shortcomings were addressed by Riley in the hiring of this staff. Hughes and Stewart know what they are doing. If 3 DCs can't figure it out we got problems

Trent Bray is the coach that worries me the most. We are thin at LB & have struggled in this area for several seasons. Bray is a young coach & very unproven.

Riley raves about the guy. He has 7 years of experience If I'm remembering correctly.

It definitely is refreshing listening to the new staff compared to the old staff. They seem genuine and honest and not rehearsed like the pelini gang. I know its got to be tough on the players adjusting but I wonder what is going through the minds of these coaches seeing firsthand how f'd up this program had become. All this talent and they don't even know that they are talented.

i wouldn't say we are overly blessed with talent.......but these coaches are seeing better athletes, for the most part, than they would ever see at Oregon....of course they haven't seen the competition yet either in the B1G.

I think we have some pretty good talent at most spots, some of it is just untested. A lot of NU's players were 4 star players on at least 1 of the recruiting services. Take that for what it is worth, but you could probably start a 4 star guy at almost every spot if you were so inclined.

I think your thought process may be a little jaded. Take Josh Banderas for example, he is a very talented player, but just has not played up to expectations yet. He was asked to do to much too soon and it really hurt his confidence. He will benefit, most likely, from a little less thinking and just playing and using his athleticism.

Look at our RB situation. Pretty untested, but other than Cross I think all the other scholarship guys were 4 star guys coming out of HS.

I think you will be able to see some different talent immerge as the season goes forward. I don't know if it is enough to win a big 10 title, but talent is not the only thing needed to win.

It definitely is refreshing listening to the new staff compared to the old staff. They seem genuine and honest and not rehearsed like the pelini gang. I know its got to be tough on the players adjusting but I wonder what is going through the minds of these coaches seeing firsthand how f'd up this program had become. All this talent and they don't even know that they are talented.

Yet another thing to file away under "what you hear from everyone every time there is a new coaching change"

So basically you are saying that the program isn't f'd up? Or do you mean that you wait until something you don't like happens and shoves it in others faces without really saying what you think of the situation because you know you wouldn't want to be wrong. I have said numerous times that I really don't know yet if MR and staff will get it done here, but it is still refreshing having coaches that will actually talk to the media without looking like he would rather beat you to death than answer your question. Or is it that you don't think we have talent and this program is a lost cause?

So basically you are saying that the program isn't f'd up? Or do you mean that you wait until something you don't like happens and shoves it in others faces without really saying what you think of the situation because you know you wouldn't want to be wrong. I have said numerous times that I really don't know yet if MR and staff will get it done here, but it is still refreshing having coaches that will actually talk to the media without looking like he would rather beat you to death than answer your question. Or is it that you don't think we have talent and this program is a lost cause?

All I am saying is that this is not unique to Mike Riley.

When Bo first got here, we all loved and raved and commended how he was no-nonsense and told it like it was, when his predecessor was the king of coach speak and shallow answers.

Seven years later, it's the same thing. It's the honeymoon stage and we see what we want to see.

I remember people always thinking Bo was rough around the edges in interviews. The "what do you think!?" in place of an actual answer was there from day 1.

We all knew Bo was a prick since his first stint as DC. But he was our prick and he fielded a solid defense when he first arrived. However at some point (2011 for me) his prickness outweighed his coaching acumen. When this happened and He was baffled that anyone question his imaginary greatness his true asshattery took over. Guy is a chump

• Fire 2

My gut says we're going to be chasing Banker out of Lincoln in a couple years... if not after this upcoming season.

I think any of his shortcomings were addressed by Riley in the hiring of this staff. Hughes and Stewart know what they are doing. If 3 DCs can't figure it out we got problems

Trent Bray is the coach that worries me the most. We are thin at LB & have struggled in this area for several seasons. Bray is a young coach & very unproven.

Riley raves about the guy. He has 7 years of experience If I'm remembering correctly.

I think it may be more like 4. But Riley does have nothing but great things to say about him. He played LB for him and was a pretty good player.

Blackshirt - we are thin at LB and that worries me too. Hoping we can stay healthy there. Maybe some new guys can pitch in and help out.

This group has often been misused in the past. Since the early 2000's I can only think of Barrett Ruud and Lavonte David as standouts. Under Bray and Banker's system I think Will Compton would have had a bigger impact at DONU. Maybe even Fisher too.

Misused meaning the LBs haven't been as aggressive or physical as you would hope. Not a lot blitzing or tackles at Line Of Scrimmage. Their responsibilities kept them back on their heels and hesitation a lot.

I think with the sophistication of offenses, from the no-huddle, to the spread/read option, the upcomins of 7on7's and the intense complication of the passing game and so on, there has become this tendancy to overthink things on defense. Over-complicate it. And as a result, especially here, the linebacker position has suffered. Because as a linebacker, you have double duty. You gotta worry about the run and the pass. Free the guys up and let em get the ball and cover space. Have to, HAVE TO allow defenses to play fast above anything these days. I think this is the direction we're going in.