True Freshmen - Who Plays?

One I am not counting out is Dashon Neal. He is freakish athlete that just might find his way on the field.

I think he's a really good athlete. I just think he probably needs to get stronger to be an effective DE. He could probably do some things this year but I think he'd be better served to spend an year in the weight room and at the training table.

I agree I just remember Grant Wistrom as a skinny 6'5" 230 freshman coming into games and the coaches telling him to go get the qb.

Neal is that type of athlete, if he has the same moter, you never know.

That would be nice, but I think comparing Neal to a two-time all-american and Lombardi winner is a bit ambitious.

yeah, but he wasn't that as a freshman. No, I would never do that, I doubt he ever lives up to being a GW type of player, I just think the measureables compare well. Wistrom had that motor that never quit it is something you can't teach guys. Joey Bosa would be a good comparison in today's game. Though he is a little bigger than GW.

The "little bigger" makes a lot of difference in this case. 250 lbs isn't a lot to have on a 6-7 frame. He'll be going against tackles that are the same height but weigh 60-70 lbs more. That's a tough task.

Gregory was pretty light with 240 lbs on a 6-4 frame.

Damon Benning mentioned on 1620 that he thought Jordan Stevenson would play this year despite the disadvantage of a late start. He qualified that by saying he would need to be in good physical shape coming in. Some freshman come in out of shape from the summer.

He didn't say he would start or anything, but that he would find his way on to the field because he is such a good athlete. Should be interesting.

I like Stanley. But he's got some shoes to fill with this jersey.

https://twitter.com/Thekidstan/status/628652633436229634

Don't make much of his jersey # right now. Freshman are basically stuck with #'s that are available after graduating seniors leave and older players choose different numbers.

That comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Their options are somewhat limited. I'm 99% sure Morgan was #8 in high school so I'm sure he wanted that number. Stevenson got his #2. Neal go the same #9 that he wore in high school. So they can definitely ask.

I like Stanley. But he's got some shoes to fill with this jersey.

https://twitter.com/Thekidstan/status/628652633436229634

Don't make much of his jersey # right now. Freshman are basically stuck with #'s that are available after graduating seniors leave and older players choose different numbers.

That comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Their options are somewhat limited. I'm 99% sure Morgan was #8 in high school so I'm sure he wanted that number. Stevenson got his #2. Neal go the same #9 that he wore in high school. So they can definitely ask.

Thumbs up!!!

With the need at LB, I could see Mohamed Barry getting some reps at the Mike. He is a runner-hitter, exactly what Banker wants at that position.

215 at our Mike position? That's worrisome.

I doubt he is that small, that was his HS playing wt. He has probably put on at least 10lbs since that listing. Speaking of putting on weight. On another board they were discussing DL weight. A very good source said that Mick Stoltenburg was almost up to 290. Which is really good for him. I thought he looked really good in the spring game and could add some more needed depth at DT if he could gain about 15 more pounds or so.

• Fire 1

With the need at LB, I could see Mohamed Barry getting some reps at the Mike. He is a runner-hitter, exactly what Banker wants at that position.

I doubt he is that small, that was his HS playing wt. He has probably put on at least 10lbs since that listing. Speaking of putting on weight. On another board they were discussing DL weight. A very good source said that Mick Stoltenburg was almost up to 290. Which is really good for him. I thought he looked really good in the spring game and could add some more needed depth at DT if he could gain about 15 more pounds or so.

I haven't gone through all the rosters in college football to check out MLB weights, but I think the days of the 250 lb MLB are coming to an end. In today's college football, the MLB has a tough job because he has to be able cover his zone in passing situations or cover the RB coming out of the backfield, while also maintaining his run fit. Due to all of those responsibilities, I imagine more MLB's to be in the 225-235 range (depending on height) so they are able to maintain their speed and quickness.

Another thing about Barry is that he is a true frosh. Most men will naturally fill out and add weight from ages 18 to 21-22. I am sure Barry will be able to add some good weight over the next few years and be an effective MLB.

I haven't gone through all the rosters in college football to check out MLB weights, but I think the days of the 250 lb MLB are coming to an end. In today's college football, the MLB has a tough job because he has to be able cover his zone in passing situations or cover the RB coming out of the backfield, while also maintaining his run fit. Due to all of those responsibilities, I imagine more MLB's to be in the 225-235 range (depending on height) so they are able to maintain their speed and quickness.

Another thing about Barry is that he is a true frosh. Most men will naturally fill out and add weight from ages 18 to 21-22. I am sure Barry will be able to add some good weight over the next few years and be an effective MLB.

playing weight as in being undersized is the most overrated thing in football. Phil Ellis was listed at 225 and started at MLB for Nebraska for 2 years. He was probably more like 220. No one questions Jason Peter's playing ability. He played at about 275. Being a little light is not usually that big of a deal. They may get worn down but if a guy can play he can play. Being overweight is a much bigger problem.

• 2 weeks later...

* You might guess right now redshirt seasons are coming for defensive tackles Carlos and Khalil Davis, and cornerback Eric Lee Jr. But if they do, it's not because those players don't have game.

All have shown examples of why they were so highly touted in the recruiting game. Same goes for cornerback Avery Anderson. The Davis boys had a couple nice pass rushes while the reserves were out there, including a sack from Carlos Davis late in the practice when the reserves were on the field.
Lee also made a really nice pick on A.J. Bush in the end zone. It was a dangerous throw, but it took a really alert play by a corner, and good adjustment on the ball, to turn it into an interception. Lee made it happen. Teammates on the defensive sideline exploded. It was impressive.

LJS