Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Eyeline_Mirror_Lrg.jpg

eyeline_putting_alignmnet_mirror.jpg

EDGE-MIRROR.JPG

Anyone here ever use one of these putting mirrors? (I know Q has.) I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure which model to get. From top to bottom: 1) large size; 2) small size; and 3) edge model. I'm leaning towards getting the edge model, or the small one. The edge model claims to be better for making sure your shoulders are square in addition to getting lined up straight. The smaller one seems more convenient, size wise.

I would recommend the small model. I have the large and small. I think I checked my shoulders once using the large and haven't done it again since. The mirror is crucial for face alignment and eye/head position. I think the small model accomplishes that the best.

For those who are not familiar, the mirror is one of the best putting aids available. It is on every professional practice putting green you'll see.

KJ Choi:

kj_choi_5_1024x1024.jpg?1357987722657119

Rory McIlroy:

barclays-rory2.jpg?2627

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mlUKN8QfE8

Justin Rose:

justin-rose-620x771.jpg

Rickie Fowler:

Ricky-BMW.jpg?2629

They all appear to be using the small model. I think Graeme McDowell is the only one I know that uses the large model, and uses it primarily to work on his path.

• Fire 1

Please explain a little more exactly what it does and how you use it?

They help you get aligned correctly. You line the putter mirror up with the ball by sighting down it. Then get into your putting position over the ball. The mirror allows you to see if your eyes are directly over the ball, or perhaps slightly inside. Apparently, by lining up correctly with the mirror, you can get used to what the hole looks like when you're aligned correctly. (I don't have a mirror yet, so someone who has one (Q?) correct me if I'm wrong in my description.)

First night of golf league last night. Not bad...shot a 45.

What I was happy with was that I don't think I three putted the entire night. My lag putting was dead on. I really only had one bad one that was down hill that I blew by the hole by about 10 feet but I nailed the 10 footer.

It was an interesting night in a pretty strong wind so I was fairly happy with how I was hitting the ball.

• Fire 1

What is the exact function of the mirror Q?

Please explain a little more exactly what it does and how you use it?

NUance is right on. For me, I use it primarily for face alignment (red line behind where ball rests) and eye position (mirror and lines on ball line and inside). There are other uses, too. For example, on the bigger one, you can place tees at certain points to help train your path:

Graeme_6a90c06d-df86-4f6d-8015-fc91220ef

They also have holes a few inches behind the ball to help train backswing length. (Many amateurs have too long of strokes).

Finally had a chance to get out and play. Shot 84 at Eagle Hills. Could've been much better but also could've been much worse. Anyone else play this weekend?

I got to squeeze in nine this afternoon. It was a little chilly and windy but still fun. I managed +2 on the front despite a terrible triple-bogey. I'm gearing up for the Kansas City Amateur Match Play Championship in two weekends.

Played my first 18 holes here in Michigan with my buddies yesterday day. My short game was pretty good. I Had a chip to within 6 inches, and almost birdied a par 3 (huge deal for me). I concentrated on slowing down my back swing on the back 9, some advice I got from my mom who's an avid golfer, and noticed a huge improvement in accuracy and consistency. It really improved my drives. I was able to hit 230 yards dead straight, which is great for me. Best drive I've ever had was over 300, but that was in perfect conditions. I'm still trying to learn to hit draws and fades to add something to my game.

• Fire 1

Finally had a chance to get out and play. Shot 84 at Eagle Hills. Could've been much better but also could've been much worse. Anyone else play this weekend?

I got to squeeze in nine this afternoon. It was a little chilly and windy but still fun. I managed +2 on the front despite a terrible triple-bogey. I'm gearing up for the Kansas City Amateur Match Play Championship in two weekends.

Took me a while to get things figured out again as it was my first round since surgery. Pieced together a 45 on the front with a triple. Things felt pretty good on the back. Finally got things squared away with the driver and getting aimed right. And boy do I hate putting on greens that have recently been aerated. Felt like every putt I hit was on the edge.

Also bought a new putter the other day. Absolutely love it. Cleveland Classic 6 is what I got. Only problem is that it didn't come with a head cover. Looking at getting a head cover and my putter is basically a mid mallet. Do covers that are made for blade putters fit that or not?

Took me a while to get things figured out again as it was my first round since surgery. Pieced together a 45 on the front with a triple. Things felt pretty good on the back. Finally got things squared away with the driver and getting aimed right. And boy do I hate putting on greens that have recently been aerated. Felt like every putt I hit was on the edge.

Also bought a new putter the other day. Absolutely love it. Cleveland Classic 6 is what I got. Only problem is that it didn't come with a head cover. Looking at getting a head cover and my putter is basically a mid mallet. Do covers that are made for blade putters fit that or not?

Walked nine holes today. It was the second time I've played this year. I couldn't take a full swing until about three weeks ago due to a slipped disc that happened at the end of January. (It took a LOT longer to recover this time around. lol) Lots of room for improvement, but it could've been worse. I really didn't know what to expect. I missed three makable putts, and ended up with a 46. Started rough with four straight double bogeys. But played the last five holes in three over.

Agree. It's one of those things we have to put up with though to have nice greens. Maintenance has to happen at some point. I'm never too critical of my putting in those conditions.