Hittin' the links: Golf talk

I played in the Kansas City Amateur this morning. I got off to a slow start with terrible putting that put me in a hole, +3 thru 4. I finished +6 and missed the match play cut by 2, last I heard. It's really frustrating to look back and see where you hemorrhage strokes.

I played in the Kansas City Amateur this morning. I got off to a slow start with terrible putting that put me in a hole, +3 thru 4. I finished +6 and missed the match play cut by 2, last I heard. It's really frustrating to look back and see where you hemorrhage strokes.

Sorry to hear it. Just two missed putts away from getting in. Damn, that's close. But it seems like that's the way it is all the way to the top of the PGA. If a guy doesn't have a hot putter it doesn't matter how well he strikes the ball. :hmmph

I learned I need to work on my putting big time. Also, I need to leave the fairway woods in the bag and just go with my 4 iron. Probably need to purchase a 3 iron. I suck with my fairway woods.

Yeah, I've been striking my hitting my long irons better after getting my grip readjusted by an instructor. The lowest iron I had been carrying was my five iron, with the next club up being a fairway wood. I think I'll put a four iron back in the bag.

The weak part of my game right now is off the tee. I'm crazy erratic. Played nine last night. Had two tee shots off to the right, two off to the left and three right down the middle. Go figure. :dunno

I hit my long irons great, straight and dead on to wherever I'm aiming. So I just need to forget the 3 and 5 wood unless I'm hitting my driver bad that day. Then I'll grab my 3 wood because I tend to hit that pretty decent off the tee. I'm chipping okay, but I can't seem to get the ball to release so I leave myself 30 foot putts quite a bit it seems.

I've been practicing putting quite a bit this spring. Got myself a putter that I like. Probly been to the practice green 30 times over the past six weeks. Sometimes twice per day. Averaging about 1/2 hour per putting session. And I gotta say, it's starting to pay benefits. I wouldn't call myself a good putter yet, but I can definitely see the improvement. I can step up to a 10 footer and know that I'll have a decent chance to make it. And more importantly, I can step up to a 25 footer and generally leave it close enough for a makable second putt. Rather than leaving it 8 feet short like last year, or blasting past the hole for a certain three-putt. I'd say I'm about halfway to where I want to be, skill-wise, in putting. Sure, I still need to work on my touch. But at this point I might be able to gain more ground by improving on reading greens. :lol:

The next glaring weakness I'd like to work on in my game is tee shots. This is an area for me that I think could use some instruction before I'll see much improvement. I've hit tons of tee shots on my own at the range (off tees in grass, not those goofy rubber tee things). And I still haven't grooved a consistent tee shot with my driver.

Edit: Just when I make a statement like above, the wheels fall off the wagon. I putted today over lunch hour. Couldn't hit jack sh#t from 8 feet. Literally hit like 15% of my eight footers. Not sure what the problem was, but my putting this past hour was actually worse than last year. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. :lol:

Had a nice little session on the range today. Starting to get my swing back. Hopefully it's ready soon as Torrey Pines is only a short few weeks away. Where is a good place to go to work on putting around Omaha? I feel like Tiburon and Stone Creek are always packed.

You headed to San Diego? I went to Torrey Pines a few years back. I was in San Diego and had several hours to kill before my flight. As I was driving up the coast I saw a sign for Torrey Pines. So I went in the check the place out, and had lunch at the clubhouse. Didn't play though. It's a beautiful course. Have fun!

Had a nice little session on the range today. Starting to get my swing back. Hopefully it's ready soon as Torrey Pines is only a short few weeks away. Where is a good place to go to work on putting around Omaha? I feel like Tiburon and Stone Creek are always packed.

You headed to San Diego? I went to Torrey Pines a few years back. I was in San Diego and had several hours to kill before my flight. As I was driving up the coast I saw a sign for Torrey Pines. So I went in the check the place out, and had lunch at the clubhouse. Didn't play though. It's a beautiful course. Have fun!

Headed out the weekend after Memorial Day. Expensive round of golf but from everything I've heard and read it will be well worth it. Hoping to keep it under 90 out there. Anything lower and I'll be real happy.

Needed to come up with a name for my Tues Night golf league team. Here's what I came up with:

Wild Drivers

Avalanche of Strokes

Putting four. Doh!

The other two guys like the last one. So we're team "Putting four. Doh!" :lol:

• Fire 1

Had a chance to play 9 Saturday morning with my PT and then played 18 Sunday. Saturday morning was Indian Creek and that course is a challenge. Had aerated greens that were soaking wet. Any putt outside of 30 ft was tough to get to the hole. Saturday was 18 at River Wilds in Blair. Course wouldn't have been too bad but it seemed like every hole was being played with a cross-wind. Felt lucky to keep it under 90.