Hittin' the links: Golf talk

icedavis wrote:

When you start your round, on the tee, the first thing you do is set the tee position by hitting the blue circle with the white tee icon (say in the case that the mens tee can end up on multiple tee boxes or have a large variance in distance) manually or by default. Then play your ball. Stand over it and hit the blue circle with the plus sign. The app adds the shot, marks distance and lets you select the club you hit to that spot and whether you hit the fairway/green or if you missed, where did you miss. Hit done, hit your ball and repeat. When you get on the green and indicate the shot that got you there landed on the green, the icon in the blue circle will change to a putter shape and ask you how many putts it took to hole out. This app doesn't record putt distances and I am not sure if the other apps do (if any, I think the GolfLogix one might).

Well, that helps. I had used the standard input for a while and one round tried to learn the advanced while playing. I thought you hit the circle and picked the club you were just about to hit, not the one that got you to your current location. Then, I was really confused as to how it worked around the green.
Question....when you start using this. Does it then start telling you your average distance with each club?

I will say this. I am hitting all of my irons amazingly straight. So much so that I stand there sometime wondering how the hell I did that. Like last night. All three par 3s were absolutely right at the pin but just a little short or a little long. Actually, so straight at the pin that one I had to step to the side to see it behind the pin.

That's fun!!!

• Fire 1

icedavis wrote:

When you start your round, on the tee, the first thing you do is set the tee position by hitting the blue circle with the white tee icon (say in the case that the mens tee can end up on multiple tee boxes or have a large variance in distance) manually or by default. Then play your ball. Stand over it and hit the blue circle with the plus sign. The app adds the shot, marks distance and lets you select the club you hit to that spot and whether you hit the fairway/green or if you missed, where did you miss. Hit done, hit your ball and repeat. When you get on the green and indicate the shot that got you there landed on the green, the icon in the blue circle will change to a putter shape and ask you how many putts it took to hole out. This app doesn't record putt distances and I am not sure if the other apps do (if any, I think the GolfLogix one might).

Well, that helps. I had used the standard input for a while and one round tried to learn the advanced while playing. I thought you hit the circle and picked the club you were just about to hit, not the one that got you to your current location. Then, I was really confused as to how it worked around the green.
Question....when you start using this. Does it then start telling you your average distance with each club?

I had the same issue at first. I never paid attention to club yardages on the app but it looks like it is keeping an average. That's a nice bonus.

Played 9 holes this afternoon for the first time ever with my 5-year-old. Alternate shot format. Mostly bogeys with a couple doubles, and a couple worse than double. LOL. Most importantly, he had fun! I asked him a couple of times whether he was tired and wanted to call it a day. His reply? No, dad, let's play another hole. He sunk an 11 foot putt, got out of a bunker with a real tough lie, and hit two drives over 60 yds (which isn't bad for his age). I think he really enjoys playing. #ProudGolfDad :lol:

• Fire 2

Played 9 holes this afternoon for the first time ever with my 5-year-old. Alternate shot format. Mostly bogeys with a couple doubles, and a couple worse than double. LOL. Most importantly, he had fun! I asked him a couple of times whether he was tired and wanted to call it a day. His reply? No, dad, let's play another hole. He sunk an 11 foot putt, got out of a bunker with a real tough lie, and hit two drives over 60 yds (which isn't bad for his age). I think he really enjoys playing. #ProudGolfDad :lol:

Nice, hopefully that love for the game continues to grow. I don't remember specifics but my dad got me started in golf and I have a lot of great golf memories golfing with my dad. It's always been one of the places we could go where life didn't matter, we were always just in the moment. Really cool.

Nice, hopefully that love for the game continues to grow. I don't remember specifics but my dad got me started in golf and I have a lot of great golf memories golfing with my dad. It's always been one of the places we could go where life didn't matter, we were always just in the moment. Really cool.

I hope so too! I'm doing my best to make it fun for him. And I'm trying not to be *that* dad. You know the one--the guy who gives his kid multiple instructions on every stroke. Instead I try to work in little hints every now and then. To help him improve without overwhelming him. Or frustrating him.

Yesterday was our first time on the course. So far this spring we've spent a lot of time on the practice greens playing different little games I made up. He likes doing that too. Especially if I set up the game so he can beat dad part of the time.

wow....I didn't think I would say this this time of year but I need to spend some time away from the course. Between Thursday and Sunday, I played over 63 holes of golf. Two day 4 man scramble over the weekend and my team played like crap.

Think it would do me some good to not pick up a club for most of the week.

Rules Questions: My questions concern dropping the ball within one club length of the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole, e.g., due to an obstruction, casual water, ground under repair, etc.

Let's say for the sake of this hypothetical that I have a 40" belly putter in my bag and my arm's length is 36". My current understanding of the rule is that I must find the nearest point of relief not closer to the holenot the most favorable spot, but nearest to where the ball originally sits obstructed. The nearest point of relief might be 2" from the original ball position, or it might be 40 feet depending on the situation. Then, once the nearest point of relief is established, I drop the ball within 40" of that nearest point (40" being my hypothetical belly putter length). I believe I could do this one of two ways. I could stand up to 4" (inches) away from the nearest point of relief with my arm extended out and drop the ball within the 40". Or I could stand up to 36" away (since my arm is 36" in this hypo) from the nearest point of relief and drop within the 40" spot. Is this right?

Also as I understand it, if my ball hits the 39" mark when I drop it, and rolls outside of 40", then I must re-drop. And if the ball hits the 41" spot but then rolls within 40", I believe the drop is technically improper and I must still re-drop even though my ball ended up within the 40". Is this right?

Rules Questions: My questions concern dropping the ball within one club length of the nearest point of relief, no closer to the hole, e.g., due to an obstruction, casual water, ground under repair, etc.

Let's say for the sake of this hypothetical that I have a 40" belly putter in my bag and my arm's length is 36". My current understanding of the rule is that I must find the nearest point of relief not closer to the holenot the most favorable spot, but nearest to where the ball originally sits obstructed. The nearest point of relief might be 2" from the original ball position, or it might be 40 feet depending on the situation. Then, once the nearest point of relief is established, I drop the ball within 40" of that nearest point (40" being my hypothetical belly putter length). I believe I could do this one of two ways. I could stand up to 4" (inches) away from the nearest point of relief with my arm extended out and drop the ball within the 40". Or I could stand up to 36" away (since my arm is 36" in this hypo) from the nearest point of relief and drop within the 40" spot. Is this right?

Also as I understand it, if my ball hits the 39" mark when I drop it, and rolls outside of 40", then I must re-drop. And if the ball hits the 41" spot but then rolls within 40", I believe the drop is technically improper and I must still re-drop even though my ball ended up within the 40". Is this right?

Honestly, I think you are making too much about the specific rules of the game. Yes, we should all aspire to play within the rules, but if you or your friends are freaking out over a specific drop that you are taking, then you are probably taking it too seriously. Do your best to make a proper drop, but you aren't on the PGA Tour, nobody should really care if you are taking an improper drop or not.

Honestly, I think you are making too much about the specific rules of the game. Yes, we should all aspire to play within the rules, but if you or your friends are freaking out over a specific drop that you are taking, then you are probably taking it too seriously. Do your best to make a proper drop, but you aren't on the PGA Tour, nobody should really care if you are taking an improper drop or not.

It is imperative to know the rules if you are ever going to play in any type of competitive golf. Ignorance, or "this is how me and my buddies do it during beer league," is not an excuse.

Oh trust me, there are times when I bend the rules. (*break). Like when I'm playing for fun and I lose a ball in the rough that I thought I'd be able to find. If I know approximately where it is, but there's a foursome behind me, I'm not gonna take the full five minutes to look and then head back to the tee box as I should. I just throw one out at about where I think my ball should have ended up, take a penalty stroke, and keep going. My little procedure is totally against the rules. But I'm sure the foursome waiting behind me doesn't mind. :lol:

• Fire 2

It is imperative to know the rules if you are ever going to play in any type of competitive golf. Ignorance, or "this is how me and my buddies do it during beer league," is not an excuse.

I agree that you should know the rules if you have any type of competitive golf, but is the OP talking about competitive golf? I don't know his specific situation, but he just seems like a casual player for now.

Yes, if he enters a tournament, he should do his best to follow the rules of golf. But, PGA pros don't know every rule they play by. They have walking officials helping them out all the time.

If I am reading it right, you are correct.

So I can stand where ever I want to drop it (outside or inside the point of relief), so long as the ball lands within the club-length of the nearest point of relief. That makes sense, too.

• Fire 1

Been away for a while but finally have a chance to post on here from my round at Torrey Pines.

A buddy of mine and my brother an I played the South Course. I picked one hell of a day to bring my F- golf game to the course. Couldn't hit anything straight and I think I only hit 1 fairway all day. Now as frustrated as I wanted to be with how I was playing it is really hard to around that place. Every hole brings a different challenge and the holes along the ocean are absolutely breathtaking.

I've never spent as much as I did there on a round but it was absolutely worth every penny of it if you ask me.

Best part of the day was that I was trailing my brother by 3 strokes with 3 to play and found a way to end up tied. He still can't claim that he's beat me in a round of golf.

Unreal course with some unbelievable views. If i'm ever back in the area I will definitely be playing it again. I need some revenge.

• Fire 2